These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #221
Josh.0

Dave has written probably five songs in the last decade that I’d love if not for one or two cringe worthy lyrical choices.

She could be close to great but then he says “juju” and ruins everything.

It’s like in Broken Things when he says “war is the most vulgar madness.” It’s so cheesy and forced and trying to sound deep that it takes away from the rest of the song.

Or in Gaucho, which musically I think is fantastic, but then Dave sings, “We gotta do much more than believe if we really wanna change things,” and it’s like “whyyyyy?”
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #222
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Dave has written probably five songs in the last decade that I’d love if not for one or two cringe worthy lyrical choices.

It’s like in Broken Things when he says “war is the most vulgar madness.” It’s so cheesy and forced and trying to sound deep that it takes away from the rest of the song.

Or in Gaucho, which musically I think is fantastic, but then Dave sings, “We gotta do much more than believe if we really wanna change things,” and it’s like “whyyyyy?”
Dave's lyrical ability has always been tremendously overrated by his most diehards and they wonder why they're disappointed 20 years later in the band's career when they are no longer capable of masking shit lyrics with great music.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:34 AM   #223
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
Dave's lyrical ability has always been tremendously overrated by his most diehards and they wonder why they're disappointed 20 years later in the band's career when they are no longer capable of masking shit lyrics with great music.
Meh I think he wrote some great stuff the first ten years (YNK, The Stone, Dreaming Tree, Spoon, #41, etc are all great lyrically), but I do agree some are way overrated (Rapunzel, Jimi, Nancies).

When he writes lyrics like “wanna change THINGS” it’s like “man, you’re tapped dude, aren’t you?” And with She and Broken Things, it’s like...”you know no one says ‘juju’ right? And dropping a line about war and equating it to ‘vulgar madness’ just to try and sound poetic - in a song about love! - is random and weird.”
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #224
Bluewater34
Is Old

This might end up being my favorite song on the album just because it’s the only one that moves.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #225
bassplayer22

Quote:
Meh I think he wrote some great stuff the first ten years (YNK, The Stone, Dreaming Tree, Spoon, #41, etc are all great lyrically), but I do agree some are way overrated (Rapunzel, Jimi, Nancies).

When he writes lyrics like “wanna change THINGS” it’s like “man, you’re tapped dude, aren’t you?” And with She and Broken Things, it’s like...”you know no one says ‘juju’ right? And dropping a line about war and equating it to ‘vulgar madness’ just to try and sound poetic - in a song about love! - is random and weird.”
John Lennon and Tom Petty sang about juju eyeballs and juju beads. That is close!
bassplayer22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #226
South535

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I think Dave improvised better lyrics during the Summer of 2000 than 85% of what he's written in the last ten years.
I think this is the key to everything. In my opinion, I think Dave WROTE pre-LS songs with improvised lyrics, and just committed to the first ones that sounded good together. The effect is surreal, stylized poetry, but I think that was just a lucky after-effect. I think he became self-conscious of the fact he interpreted his own lyrics as nonsense, and thus everyday since (no pun intended) we've seen a more straight-forward style.

When I heard in the interview Dave saying he wanted to mess with things less, I think that may be him trying to get back to owning his random-ish lyrics and not stress that they're Neil Young or Emmylou Harris quality story telling.

That being said, I'm not sure it was a successful foray back, but I think I'd rather that (as is the case in "That Girl is You") than the alternative (pretty much every song about his kids).
South535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 PM   #227
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
John Lennon and Tom Petty sang about juju eyeballs and juju beads. That is close!
I see your point, but Honey Bee has always been my least favorite track on Wildflowers and the rest of Wildflowers, is, well, the Wildflowers album, which is to say one of the greatest albums maybe of all time.

If there’s a Wildflowers, Crawling Back to You, You Wreck Me, To Find a Friend, Time to Move On, or You Don’t Know How It Feels on this album, I’ll digress to cheesy lyrics on one song not definiting the songwriting abilities of an artist at any one point.

I should also mention that the way Petty uses the line is pretty tongue in cheek. That whole song is meant to be ridiculous.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:31 PM   #228
bassplayer22

Quote:
I see your point, but Honey Bee has always been my least favorite track on Wildflowers and the rest of Wildflowers, is, well, the Wildflowers album, which is to say one of the greatest albums maybe of all time.

If there’s a Wildflowers, Crawling Back to You, You Wreck Me, To Find a Friend, Time to Move On, or You Don’t Know How It Feels on this album, I’ll digress to cheesy lyrics on one song not definiting the songwriting abilities of an artist at any one point.

I should also mention that the way Petty uses the line is pretty tongue in cheek. That whole song is meant to be ridiculous.
I dont disagree (except I enjoy Honey Bees) I was just having some fun.
bassplayer22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #229
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:

I actually don't mind "juju". Something ambiguous about it, can mean what you want it to.

Agree for sure with the rest of what you're saying.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:16 PM   #230
trippinbillyrmc

Just watched the Jimmy Fallon performance with the Roots with a good set of headphones. Couldn't get it loud enough. Sound was great!
Old 06-27-2018, 10:30 PM   #231
BigVodka

Quote:
So fragile
Old 06-28-2018, 09:55 AM   #232
TDunk

Hypmo
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #233
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
This might end up being my favorite song on the album just because it’s the only one that moves.
really?
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:05 PM   #234
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
Hypmo
I don't get how the fuck several of you get worked up about "hypmo" which is only there if you want to hear it that way. The real sin is that he says "hypmotize" instead of the grammatically correct "hypmotizes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
LET HE WHO HASN'T JERKED OFF ON HIS SLEEPING EMPLOYEE CAST THE FIRST STONE!
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc