These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2014, 11:22 PM   #101
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

posted this in another thread but I'm traveling to NYC in December and want some opinions

I'm flying in on 12/9 and leaving 12/14 (6:30 AM )

I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I'm aware cheap and NYC don't really work but I'm fairly good at this sort of thing. I'm staying at a hostel on 101st and Broadway for $50 a night. The Met and Natural History Museum are pay what you want. Guggenheim is pay what you want on Saturday afternoon. MoMA is free on fridays. So that's a huge hunk off my price tag.

Not planning on going to the Empire State Building. I've been told it's a ton of waiting and Top of the Rock has a better view.

I'm paying full price for the 9/11 Tribute center. It's free on tuesday nights but you have to be there by 6 and my flight arrives at LGA at 4:20. I figure it would be mighty difficult to get from LGA, to 101st and Broadway, to Ground Zero in an hour and 40 minutes.

One of my best friends lives in Jersey City so we are gonna hang out. I don't get to see her very often.

I found a website called [Only registered users can see links.] that lists the best food in NYC for less that $10. Obviously it's opinion but it lists by buroughs and neighborhoods and integrates with google maps.

as of right now the only place I know I'm going to eat at is Carnegie Deli. Not because it's iconic or anything but I've heard their motto is "If you can finish your meal we didn't do out job." 1. I'm up to that challenge. 2. I love pastrami.

Things I'd really like to see are places with rich musical history. The Apollo Theater, the place where CBGB used to be, Hotel Chelsea, the Joe Strummer memorial, Strawberry Fields, etc...

so what are some other must see things in the city? Will only be using public transit, no rental cars or taxis
Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 AM   #102
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
If you like live comedy, I'd consider hitting the comedy cellar on that Tuesday night you get in.

I haven't been in long time, so I don't know what they're charging these days (I don't remember it being crazy expensive, but that might be relative to other NYC prices), but on a weeknight you'll probably see at least 1 or 2 big time national touring acts working on new material for 10-15 minutes plus whoever else is on the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #103
jaguaracer
The Cosmic Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
posted this in another thread but I'm traveling to NYC in December and want some opinions

I'm flying in on 12/9 and leaving 12/14 (6:30 AM )

I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I'm aware cheap and NYC don't really work but I'm fairly good at this sort of thing. I'm staying at a hostel on 101st and Broadway for $50 a night. The Met and Natural History Museum are pay what you want. Guggenheim is pay what you want on Saturday afternoon. MoMA is free on fridays. So that's a huge hunk off my price tag.

Not planning on going to the Empire State Building. I've been told it's a ton of waiting and Top of the Rock has a better view.

I'm paying full price for the 9/11 Tribute center. It's free on tuesday nights but you have to be there by 6 and my flight arrives at LGA at 4:20. I figure it would be mighty difficult to get from LGA, to 101st and Broadway, to Ground Zero in an hour and 40 minutes.

One of my best friends lives in Jersey City so we are gonna hang out. I don't get to see her very often.

I found a website called [Only registered users can see links.] that lists the best food in NYC for less that $10. Obviously it's opinion but it lists by buroughs and neighborhoods and integrates with google maps.

as of right now the only place I know I'm going to eat at is Carnegie Deli. Not because it's iconic or anything but I've heard their motto is "If you can finish your meal we didn't do out job." 1. I'm up to that challenge. 2. I love pastrami.

Things I'd really like to see are places with rich musical history. The Apollo Theater, the place where CBGB used to be, Hotel Chelsea, the Joe Strummer memorial, Strawberry Fields, etc...

so what are some other must s9ee things in the city? Will only be using public transit, no rental cars or taxis
Speaking of musical history, even if it's not your thing music-wise, there are some legendary jazz clubs/bars in NYC. I was fortunate to see Les Paul play at the Iridium 7 years ago (I've also been to Blue Note which is cool too). Not sure about cost for any of them.
Old 10-30-2014, 11:25 PM   #104
imjustchillin

now offering Seattle area beer tours. U Buy
imjustchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #105
malachite00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguaracer View Post
Speaking of musical history, even if it's not your thing music-wise, there are some legendary jazz clubs/bars in NYC. I was fortunate to see Les Paul play at the Iridium 7 years ago (I've also been to Blue Note which is cool too). Not sure about cost for any of them.
Oddly enough, I saw him at the Iridium too, sometime in the 90s. I'm not a jazz fan at all, but it was amazing and the club was really cool. I even got Les Paul to sign my ticket stub. The club is worth it if the OP has the time/money.

Every time I'm in NYC, I eat pizza for almost every meal. It's so much better than anything you can get out west, and cheap too.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #106
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

update. on Halloween my friend in the NYC area posted about a party at her apartment that night. I texted her and asked her to postpone it until I got there. She replied and said "we are going to have so much fun in NYC. Parties are lame"

then she asked me my schedule. I said I was seeing a play on thursday and then going to the MoMa on friday because it was free. Her response?

"I'd love to hit MoMA and have dinner with you that night. Some friends are having a karaoke party that night if you are interested"

ME + FRIEND = EPIC TIMES IN NYC
Old 11-13-2014, 03:18 AM   #107
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
The lady and I have been participating in the 52-week challenge and will have $1,378 each to spend on our (hopefully) yearly vacation that we're planning for the day after the Super Bowl. We're looking for the best bang for our buck, so I guess we should consider an all-inclusive, but we're definitely not interested in cruises. Any ideas folks?

Reposting cuz I need to start planning this damn trip! Knocking around the idea of Key West since she's never been or maybe San Fran or something like that.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:14 AM   #108
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Reposting cuz I need to start planning this damn trip! Knocking around the idea of Key West since she's never been or maybe San Fran or something like that.
Key west is a helluva lot of fun
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:53 AM   #109
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Key west is a helluva lot of fun
Sure is, I've been twice and had a killer time each time.

I'm just thinking that with like $3K between the two of us, out of the country (aside from an all-inclusive) is out of the question, so perhaps we just might stay within the continental US.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #110
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I've done South Florida so many times but never Key West.....might have to incorporate that into a potential trip to see the Dolphins next fall.

Also....how about some honeymoon suggestions, TDC?
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #111
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Any suggestions on Austin, TX? May be heading there from 2/15-2/19 for work.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:13 PM   #112
Jayes

Got my tickets for Vegas two weeks ago. Never been. Pretty pumped.

Just looked and there are tickets to Frankfurt Germany for $877 right now. Shit
Old 02-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #113
Josh.0

Quote:
Just looked and there are tickets to Frankfurt Germany for $877 right now. Shit
Which airline?!

I'm going to Cali in April. Driving from San Diego to Seattle with a friend, mostly along the PCH. But I'm also thinking of going back to Europe in October.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #114
Jayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Which airline?! I'm going to Cali in April. Driving from San Diego to Seattle with a friend, mostly along the PCH. But I'm also thinking of going back to Europe in October.
Turkish and Aero-something
Old 02-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #115
RageATL
The Dude abides

Heading to San Francisco next week for 5 days. My first true vacation in a while and after 2014, so very much needed.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:49 PM   #116
Jayes

Im right there with you. Haven't flown away since late 2013 (tour in France). Time to GTFO. And my best friend moved away to Vegas in late October and I cant wait to go stay with him. Also the first time my lady has ever flown, believe it or not. My cheap-ass would've taken the $137 Spirit flight but I dont feel like that's a great first fly
Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #117
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Im right there with you. Haven't flown away since late 2013 (tour in France). Time to GTFO. And my best friend moved away to Vegas in late October and I cant wait to go stay with him. Also the first time my lady has ever flown, believe it or not. My cheap-ass would've taken the $137 Spirit flight but I dont feel like that's a great first fly
I haven't truly been away-away, as in a significant vacation (i.e. in excess of a long, 3-day weekend) since before my divorce and that was 3.5 years ago, so it's been a minute. By now, I've gotten to the point where I basically just can't stand people so that tells me it's time to GTFOOD and get a self-imposed attitude adjustment. Best part about it is that the entire thing was funded by our 52-week savings challenge from last year, so our plane tickets, the 4-star hotel my lady got a KILLER deal on AND spending/entertainment/drinking money have been accounted for...nothing truly out of pocket unless we get silly ridiculous.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #118
Jayes

Quote:
I haven't truly been away-away, as in a significant vacation (i.e. in excess of a long, 3-day weekend) since before my divorce and that was 3.5 years ago, so it's been a minute. By now, I've gotten to the point where I basically just can't stand people so that tells me it's time to GTFOOD and get a self-imposed attitude adjustment. Best part about it is that the entire thing was funded by our 52-week savings challenge from last year, so our plane tickets, the 4-star hotel my lady got a KILLER deal on AND spending/entertainment/drinking money have been accounted for...nothing truly out of pocket unless we get silly ridiculous.
So whats the plan? Where you goin?
Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #119
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
So whats the plan? Where you goin?
Welp, we arrive Thursday, so probably just get our bearings that day/night (we're staying in the financial district) and just tool around and then we have a wine tour to Sonoma planned for Friday (Napa and Carneros). The rest is just whatever we wanna do. Not remotely doing Alcatraz and gonna try to skip the overly touristy spots, although Golden Gate National Park is supposed to be gorgeous.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:29 PM   #120
Jayes

I did Alcatraz a few years back. It was pretty cool. We have a side trip on the vegas vaca to Santa Monica area but I dont think we'll make it as north as San Fran.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc