Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2018, 03:55 PM   #101
maddog

Just let gweeps run the xm channel.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #102
dmb4uandme

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
They are playing a show that has never been released every Friday night.
Yeah, should have quoted my post. This was in reference to a full-time channel. Everyone talking about only the releases being played, but Iím wondering why they have to limit to just those? Why not open it up to some of the the thousands of unreleased shows theyíve played.
dmb4uandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #103
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
Only if he gets to add commentary
Old 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #104
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb4uandme View Post
Yeah, should have quoted my post. This was in reference to a full-time channel. Everyone talking about only the releases being played, but Iím wondering why they have to limit to just those? Why not open it up to some of the the thousands of unreleased shows theyíve played.
These are not serious suggestions right? Do you understand anything about how radio works? you cant just blast music over the airwaves to millions of paying subscribers. You need to own the rights music you are distributing and ensure you arent violating any laws.

Theres TONS of red tape in radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #105
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
These are not serious suggestions right? Do you understand anything about how radio works? you cant just blast music over the airwaves to millions of paying subscribers. You need to own the rights music you are distributing and ensure you arent violating any laws.

Woah mario, calm down.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:36 PM   #106
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:

Pretty sure we’re seriously joking. In that we wish it could but never would happen
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #107
phishb13

damn. they better cancel the grateful dead channel, the pearl jam channel, and the gone phishin’ series

RIP SiriusXM
Old 07-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #108
klillyblad

Highlight on my drive home: Stefan talking about meeting Dave in his 8th grade music class taught by John D'earth.

Lowlight: Blackbird.

Overall, I'm enjoying the channel. But, not enough to pay more for streaming.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #109
SeekUpAB

I guess the argument here is that Sirius would go rogue and make the channel without DMB? Just buy the bonus discs off eBay and start playing them?
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #110
dmb4uandme

Quote:

Iím genuinely confused here. If DMB ďleasedĒ their live shows to Sirius, is there still an issue in playing them?

I guess I was assuming DMB created the playlist for this months station. If thatís the case, and an arrangement is made for a full time station - is there any issue in playing unreleased material?

Iím not trying to create an argument here - I donít know how any of this shit works.
dmb4uandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:31 PM   #111
phishb13

i assumed he was talking about covers and such in their sets but i could be wrong

if it’s just about playing random auds of shows, the GD and PJ channels already do this
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #112
dmb2much40

I would think all SiriusXM needs is the band to sign off on it?
Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #113
blumathu

Quote:
Iím genuinely confused here. If DMB ďleasedĒ their live shows to Sirius, is there still an issue in playing them?

I guess I was assuming DMB created the playlist for this months station. If thatís the case, and an arrangement is made for a full time station - is there any issue in playing unreleased material?

Iím not trying to create an argument here - I donít know how any of this shit works.
There is no issue, they could do it if they thought there was financial value in it. They'd just have to prepare the audio for Sirius and take care of all the paperwork for it.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #114
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishb13 View Post
i assumed he was talking about covers and such in their sets but i could be wrong

if itís just about playing random auds of shows, the GD and PJ channels already do this
They don't play auds do they? Don't they play the soundboards for virtually every show that these bands already prepare and make available on their sites?
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:31 AM   #115
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Woah mario, calm down.
I actually got into character to write the post. I added the second sentence after writing the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
I guess the argument here is that Sirius would go rogue and make the channel without DMB? Just buy the bonus discs off eBay and start playing them?
That is basically what im saying they cant do, they need to have the rights to the stuff to play it.

Quote:
I’m genuinely confused here. If DMB “leased” their live shows to Sirius, is there still an issue in playing them?

I guess I was assuming DMB created the playlist for this months station. If that’s the case, and an arrangement is made for a full time station - is there any issue in playing unreleased material?

I’m not trying to create an argument here - I don’t know how any of this shit works.
#notaninternetlawyer I dont think you can do that is what im saying. What it looks like to me is DMB gave sirius rights to 30ish releases and said play whatever you want from these. When you get to the end of the day, they only have like 100 releases to actually give them, unlike grateful dead or PJ who release every show. Also Bruce does (did?) this and his station sucks for live music. Id rather they dont do it, than play shitty sounding music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishb13 View Post

if it’s just about playing random auds of shows, the GD and PJ channels already do this
Same as above, but i dont think GD channel plays any AUDs. Most everything is soundboard quality and they literally have the bands Archivist David Lemieux (DMB does not have one) involved. That is how they get access to the vault. I dont think DMB has this structure so its just not the same.

Lastly, Id love a channel, i just dont think its possible or if id did, it would suck and be repetitive or have shitty quality blasting over the airwaves.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 07-11-2018, 10:43 AM   #116
Vorony

Quote:
Same as above, but i dont think GD channel plays any AUDs. Most everything is soundboard quality and they literally have the bands Archivist David Lemieux (DMB does not have one) involved. That is how they get access to the vault. I dont think DMB has this structure so its just not the same.

Lastly, Id love a channel, i just dont think its possible or if id did, it would suck and be repetitive or have shitty quality blasting over the airwaves.
I thought Lawlor was the bandís archivist? Or their main monitor engineer (forgot his name)? I definitely remember reading an article a few years ago about how someone on their crew archives every show they play (including burning all the multi tracks to CD from the soundboard). This person is obviously directly involved with the official release of live shows.
Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #117
patsfan39

Would be a good question for our friends at the DMBalmanac.com

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 07-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #118
phishb13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
They don't play auds do they? Don't they play the soundboards for virtually every show that these bands already prepare and make available on their sites?
Quote:
the GD channel most definitely plays AUDs in their concert series. not sure how often anymore, but they're there.

Quote:
this doesn't seem to be an insurmountable problem. you're right in that it would suck if they didn't get access to most of the vault, but i don't think Sirius would go for a 24/7 channel without it.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #119
dancetheham

Quote:
Would be a good question for our friends at the DMBalmanac.com
Joe Lawlor is the live recording engineer. Tucker Rodgers is the archivist. Lawlor actually records the live shows, but Tucker goes through them and decides what to release (with input from various other parties, no doubt).
dancetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #120
NiCK (Crush)

Tucker has a sweet gig.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc