These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2018, 07:35 AM   #101
SeekUpAB

Hard to argue with any of that. It's too bad Come On Come On isn't really working live.

Interested to hear this Watchtower now. Sounds like some kind of fuck up but watch them keep playing it this way.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #102
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
The Sledgehammer and Why I Am choices could very well have something to do with Rois last show. But I just have no faith that Dave thinks that much about anything.
He teased #34 on the 5th (I think) anniversary for roi. So, he definitely thinks about it.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 AM   #103
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
This set looks terrible.
This set looks like if someone on this site tried to make an awesome 3 night stand and got to the last set and had to just throw a bunch of leftovers at it. Then said, ďthis will be night 1, i guess.Ē

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #104
drh424s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
This set looks like if someone on this site tried to make an awesome 3 night stand and got to the last set and had to just throw a bunch of leftovers at it. Then said, ďthis will be night 1, i guess.Ē
Take that formula along with

"add bayou"
"add samurai Cop"

And you've got this show exactly.
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #105
SeekUpAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
That's pretty spot on. Potential for a good one tonight at least. Back to the classic two night formula.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #106
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
Hard to argue with any of that. It's too bad Come On Come On isn't really working live.

I think itís suffered from poor placement in the shows itís been played. It needs to be in the right spot, and I also think itís one of those songs that works so much better earlier in the show rather than later. Also would be better if Jeff was allowed to freely play throughout the song.

A lot of the BTCS songs werenít working live either for a few months or more, took them some time to really hone them. Look at YMDT, it went from being a crap song to in a couple of years being a fun live staple. So Iím not ready to give up on it just yet. The question is whether theyíll keep playing it or not.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #107
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Sledgehammer is a punch in the face to every DMB fan who was there. Play the fucking Stone you asshole.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #108
sean52692
You failed this band

A quick review of last night:

Dave Matthews Band
June 29, 2018
Huntington Bank Pavilion at Northerly Island, Chicago, IL

Spoiler:
Do You Remember: I got the same opener at Blossom. It's an okay opener. I think it'd be more enjoyable somewhere else in the set.
Stay or Leave: Quality. I love this song in all forms, including a big full band one like this with some heavy Carter playing and some Jeff sax.
Rooftop: A little surprise to get this one! Crowd was really into it.
#41: Standard. Sojurn after the solos at the end. Always go in wanting to hear that interpolation.
Again and Again: Smooth. Tim had some funky playing during that bridge or whatever.
Sledgehammer: BUDDY played the flute intro to this! Awesome moment when started it off. One of the highlights of the night.
What Would You Say: I love getting WWYS because it means we get a big, uninterrupted Jeff solo.
Can't Stop: Don't enjoy this one.
Don't Drink the Water: I like the ambient intro they're doing this tour even if I kinda roll my eyes when they start it.
Louisiana Bayou: Annoying as hell and not good.
Samurai Cop (Oh Joy Begin): The side screens went out during this song. Such a meh one for me with the full band.
You Might Die Trying: More Stand Up, YES! Haha, Dave's vocal yelling outro was money though!
Come On Come On: Kind of a meh song for me. On the album cut I love the orchestra but still feel like it's missing something. Whether it's more creative instrumentation, another section, or better lyrics - I feel like the studio cut is good but it needs more. Live versions are ok but also have a lacking feel thus far. I hope it develops more!
Lying in the Hands of God: Wow, this was truly not a good performance. Carter seemed tired as hell and was not putting any energy into his parts. Seriously, go listen to this version compared to Atlantic City and it's night and day with Carter's playing. I thought Buddy's solo was pretty awful as well. They did not seem into this performance at all until Buddy started to build it and Dave kinda went crazy dancing - I felt like Dave knew this show and performances were lacking so he really needed to create a spark. Luckily, the ABI interpolation was absolutely nailed.
You & Me: Yeesh.
All Along the Watchtower: Hell yes. I don't know why it felt refreshing to get Watchtower, but it was. Buddy's solo worked A LOT better than his other ones for this tune. He nailed it. 12/30/95 with Bruce Hornsby on the organ is one of my favorite Watchtower performances and this one reminded me of that performance at times.
Digging a Ditch: Beautiful. Love Ditch.
Jimi Thing Ľ
Sexy M.F. [partial]:
Meh.
-----------------------------------
Why I Am
Grey Street
: Ok encore. Surprised we got 2 songs especially after the awkward encore break fiasco.

Overall, I'd give the show *3/4 stars. Most of this has to do with the absolutely shitty ass donkey dick venue. The sound, seats/views, screens (side screens literally went out during Samurai Cop), crowd, etc are all miserable. The band has to feel like shit playing there because the crowd is absolutely not into it at all compared to other venues around here (Deer Creek, Milwaukee, Alpine, etc)
Old 06-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #109
Crumbo

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 06-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #110
SeekUpAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think itís suffered from poor placement in the shows itís been played. It needs to be in the right spot, and I also think itís one of those songs that works so much better earlier in the show rather than later. Also would be better if Jeff was allowed to freely play throughout the song.
I agree earlier would be better but that hasn't been its main issue so far. Jeff would help a lot. That's how I imagined it would be live before they played it. Getting a violinist would also help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Sledgehammer is a punch in the face to every DMB fan who was there. Play the fucking Stone you asshole.
He played it to reinspire your hatred. Now tell us how bad Camden was.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #111
willndmb

Quote:
For the win!
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:00 PM   #112
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Yikes
Old 06-30-2018, 03:43 PM   #113
klillyblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbo View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]
Thanks! Added to [Only registered users can see links.] .

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc