These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 AM   #24941
Tomacco

I see plenty of movies, but I've made a conscious effort to avoid seeing superhero movies the past year. I don't want to support these creatively bankrupt franchises anymore. I hit a point where I was seeing these movies out of compulsion, because I saw the ones that came before. But the more of them I miss, the more I don't give a shit anymore. The stories always suck, the villains are always forgettable as hell, and the universe-building is just obnoxious. And the DC ones are pretty terrible and joyless overall. Anyway, end rant.
Thankfully there are other movies coming out now since it's November. I'd like to see Three Billboards, and wouldn't mind seeing Lady Bird.

By the way, I saw "I Love You Daddy" at the Toronto Film Festival. Seems like I might be one of the very few who ever get to see it. As a huge Louis CK fan (not to mention Malkovich, Charlie Day, Edie Falco, and Pamela Adlon), I enjoyed it a lot. Louis CK did some shitty shit a decade ago, yes. I don't condone it. It's embarassing for him, and hurtful to the victims. But, personally, if I only enjoyed art by the most upstanding citizens, that would cut out a lot of incredible art. I'm not suddenly going to hate American Beauty, Transparent or I Love You Daddy because their stars did perverse harmful shit. On their own merits, these are great pieces of art. On that principal, I hate that the toll of outrage culture results in everyone retroactively denouncing or censoring great works of art past and present (replacing Spacey in All the Money in the World is ridiculous, IMO, because it's putting the actor's personal misdeeds ahead of the artistic reasons he was chosen for the role, when they should be mutually exclusive). By the same token, I think Michael Jackson's music is incredible and the guy was a serious talent, despite possibly being a predatory creep. Same goes with Woody Allen movies.

In situations like Louis', I feel for the women who had to deal with this shocking behavior, but I also can't stand outrage culture. For example, I hate how Louis' apology letter is even being corrected with marker, as if he's a grade school student. The sentiment of that statement is full of remorse, regardless of whether he said "sorry" or not. And he has apologized to the victims. And, it was a decade ago. I'm sure the shame has haunted him. He knows he did a shameful thing and has a problem (or had one, which maybe he's dealt with since). It sucks. He's learning, and hopefully he'll get better (again, like most of these stories, they're so distant in the past that who even knows how the person changed since). But I just hate this demonization, and the career-killing aspect of it. I find it too much like those stories where some regular joe will tweet a racist joke for shock value, then subsequently be publicly shamed and then fired from their jobs. It just sometimes feel like the punishment goes beyond the crime, and that justice is being doled out by social media first, which then informs the real-world punishments. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.

I just feel like there's got to be a way to be critical of people like Louis and denounce his actions, without burning him at the stake entirely, acting like a lynch mob, and eradicating him and his work from the face of the planet.

As far as celebrity responses go, this is the best response by far. It's fair-minded, not reactionary, and trying to be constructive and hopeful.

But even on this note, I find it kind of messed up that A) celebrities are expected to respond in public to situations that have almost nothing to do with them, and B) we all get to weigh in, criticize and denounce those reactions. In the Louis case, I've seen people shit on Pamela Adlon or the late-night talk show hosts for "going easy" on Louis, or not reacting a certain way.

Anyway, it's late, and I've edited this post a bunch of times because I'm still working out my own thoughts on this as I express them. It's a messy situation, but I'd rather keep thinking it through than be an angry reactionary like so many people I see online.

Last edited by Tomacco; 11-18-2017 at 02:39 AM.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #24942
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I see plenty of movies, but I've made a conscious effort to avoid seeing superhero movies the past year. I don't want to support these creatively bankrupt franchises anymore. I hit a point where I was seeing these movies out of compulsion, because I saw the ones that came before. But the more of them I miss, the more I don't give a shit anymore. The stories always suck, the villains are always forgettable as hell, and the universe-building is just obnoxious. And the DC ones are pretty terrible and joyless overall. Anyway, end rant.
Thankfully there are other movies coming out now since it's November. I'd like to see Three Billboards, and wouldn't mind seeing Lady Bird.

By the way, I saw "I Love You Daddy" at the Toronto Film Festival. Seems like I might be one of the very few who ever get to see it. As a huge Louis CK fan (not to mention Malkovich, Charlie Day, Edie Falco, and Pamela Adlon), I enjoyed it a lot. Louis CK did some shitty shit a decade ago, yes. I don't condone it. It's embarassing for him, and hurtful to the victims. But, personally, if I only enjoyed art by the most upstanding citizens, that would cut out a lot of incredible art. I'm not suddenly going to hate American Beauty, Transparent or I Love You Daddy because their stars did perverse harmful shit. On their own merits, these are great pieces of art. On that principal, I hate that the toll of outrage culture results in everyone retroactively denouncing or censoring great works of art past and present (replacing Spacey in All the Money in the World is ridiculous, IMO, because it's putting the actor's personal misdeeds ahead of the artistic reasons he was chosen for the role, when they should be mutually exclusive). By the same token, I think Michael Jackson's music is incredible and the guy was a serious talent, despite possibly being a predatory creep. Same goes with Woody Allen movies.

In situations like Louis', I feel for the women who had to deal with this shocking behavior, but I also can't stand outrage culture. For example, I hate how Louis' apology letter is even being corrected with marker, as if he's a grade school student. The sentiment of that statement is full of remorse, regardless of whether he said "sorry" or not. And he has apologized to the victims. And, it was a decade ago. I'm sure the shame has haunted him. He knows he did a shameful thing and has a problem (or had one, which maybe he's dealt with since). It sucks. He's learning, and hopefully he'll get better (again, like most of these stories, they're so distant in the past that who even knows how the person changed since). But I just hate this demonization, and the career-killing aspect of it. I find it too much like those stories where some regular joe will tweet a racist joke for shock value, then subsequently be publicly shamed and then fired from their jobs. It just sometimes feel like the punishment goes beyond the crime, and that justice is being doled out by social media first, which then informs the real-world punishments. Something about it doesn't sit right with me.

I just feel like there's got to be a way to be critical of people like Louis and denounce his actions, without burning him at the stake entirely, acting like a lynch mob, and eradicating him and his work from the face of the planet.

As far as celebrity responses go, this is the best response by far. It's fair-minded, not reactionary, and trying to be constructive and hopeful.

But even on this note, I find it kind of messed up that A) celebrities are expected to respond in public to situations that have almost nothing to do with them, and B) we all get to weigh in, criticize and denounce those reactions. In the Louis case, I've seen people shit on Pamela Adlon or the late-night talk show hosts for "going easy" on Louis, or not reacting a certain way.

Anyway, it's late, and I've edited this post a bunch of times because I'm still working out my own thoughts on this as I express them. It's a messy situation, but I'd rather keep thinking it through than be an angry reactionary like so many people I see online.
Thanks for this. You have expressed some thoughtful ideas. I agree with much of what you've said here.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:07 PM   #24943
Tomacco

Also, not every one of these cases should be painted with the same brush. Weinstein, Louis and George Takei don’t deserve the same fallout. Weinstein is clearly a bit of a monster. But Takei has helped advance/champion LGBT causes so much in the last ten years. Are we supposed to just forget all that amazing more recent work he’s done because he may or may not have groped a guy in the 80s? Does one mistake in your past erase years of goodness?
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #24944
NiCK (Crush)

There are certainly levels of bad, sure.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #24945
NiCK (Crush)

Now let's hear what one of the two ladies on TDC think about it all.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #24946
Bluewater34
Is Old

Just read that Justice League only cleared about $96M this weekend, which is a lot, but way below expectations, and the lowest yet for the DC Universe films. I’ll be curious to see what this means for that series going forward.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:02 AM   #24947
NiCK (Crush)

Which would be a shame for the way this one leaves off...
Old 11-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #24948
Bluewater34
Is Old

Well, I don’t think it’s going away, but I definitely won’t be surprised if Snyder is no longer overseeing the whole thing going forward. I think Affleck probably uses this as a reason to get out, since he’s already trying to, and I’ll be very interested to see what happens to that Batman movie that seems to be having so much trouble getting going.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #24949
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Which would be a shame for the way this one leaves off...

I agree.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #24950
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Well, I donít think itís going away, but I definitely wonít be surprised if Snyder is no longer overseeing the whole thing going forward. I think Affleck probably uses this as a reason to get out, since heís already trying to, and Iíll be very interested to see what happens to that Batman movie that seems to be having so much trouble getting going.
I haven't seen JL yet. Although I really like Affleck as a Dark Knight Returns type Batman/Bruce Wayne I would be happy if JL was his last one. He's getting too old and they can always find a way to reset and restart the character especially if the talk of flashpoint happens. Or...apparently since Jason Todd has already been killed by the Joker as Robin and a Nightwing movie in the mix, I'd love to see Dick Grayson take up the mantle of the bat on the big screen.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #24951
Define Dancing

I saw 2017 Palm d'Or winner, The Square, over the weekend, and I thought it was great. Ruben Ostlund wove in so many ideas and themes that it left me thinking about it long after it was over. Great satire about art, post-modernism, class, and men in power. A very cerebral film, but I'd recommend it.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #24952
Define Dancing

I also watched JFK for the first time, and this wonderful monologue from Kevin Costner at the end was really powerful, especially given our current political climate. I actually got chills when he broke the fourth wall at the end. "It's up to you."

Old 11-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #24953
gweeps

Fresh allegations/investigation into Spacey: [Only registered users can see links.]
Old 11-23-2017, 10:17 AM   #24954
Define Dancing

If you need a feel good movie, go see Wonder. You will cry and feel better about the world.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #24955
TDunk

Three Billboards was great
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #24956
gweeps

I've never seen this movie. I'll never watch it. Looks terrible. But this clip from it is still startling.

Old 11-24-2017, 12:11 AM   #24957
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I've never seen this movie. I'll never watch it. Looks terrible. But this clip from it is still startling.

damn that's ridiculous
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:00 AM   #24958
Bluewater34
Is Old

The first Infinity War trailer!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:08 PM   #24959
NiCK (Crush)

There are hundreds of characters.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #24960
NiCK (Crush)

All The Money in the World trailer with Plummer