These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #61
Tomacco

Jeff plays a show at the Rex the night before DMB every year in Toronto, and he’s the nicest damn guy in the world, taking photos and signing autographs for everyone in the venue that comes up to him. And I’ve seen this 4 years in a row.

Jeff also posted this last month, and I agree with this whether it applies to any member of the band:
‪To all our amazing fans: THANK YOU for understanding when we decline a photo or signature when we are just trying to live a normal day or night. No disrespect is meant and we appreciate ur understanding. Please know how much we appreciate you ALL!! ����‬ Dave Matthews Band
*AS AN ASIDE, MY ANSWER IS USUALLY YES.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #62
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
I haven't run into them in a few years but all the members of DMB that I have met have been very cool, particularly Carter and BT.
Definitely. At every show I go to Carter seeks me out and takes 10 or 15 minutes to chit chat. Just shoot the shit, maybe share a glass of cab or whatever. Super nice guy

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #63
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Definitely. At every show I go to Carter seeks me out and takes 10 or 15 minutes to chit chat. Just shoot the shit, maybe share a glass of cab or whatever. Super nice guy
this is while he's on the bus already, though, RIGHT!?
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #64
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
That has been your personal experience. Jeff and Rashawn have both been the nicest guys to me in the past. I haven't run into them in a few years but all the members of DMB that I have met have been very cool, particularly Carter and BT.
Yeah I’ll be honest I usually hear great things about Jeff. In that case, it may have been an off day. But in Rashawn’s case, I’ve heard a LOT of reports about him being a dick, particularly in recent years.

While we all know now Boyd’s a creep, the one thing he had going for him was he was always known as being very kind out in public (regardless of whether he ever had any alternative motives). I know a lot of people who met him multiple times that said he always stopped and took the time for them. Dave, when you can spot him out in the wild, is usually the same way. Same with Carter, I’ve heard you just gotta get lucky and bump into him, but when you do he’s a good dude. Carter and Dave definitely hide more than the others, but I’ve rarely if ever heard of shitty interactions with them.

Yet it amazes me that Rashawn, who must get a fraction of the “inconveniences” Dave gets, is the one that gets all diva and pissy about it. Dave must get stopped multiple times every day yet none of us have ever really heard anything bad about him. It’s kind of amazing when you think about it. Every time he swipes his credit card the cashier probably sees “David Matthews” on the receipt. He must deal with the fan frenzy all the time. With that in mind while I think he’s gotten lazy as shit too often as a musician, I am all but positive he’s a stellar human being.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:34 AM   #65
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #66
sean52692
You failed this band

Here is an interesting article about Dave's life in Seattle. I'm not exactly sure he deals with as much fan frenzy as you may think. I think it has been posted here before, though it's fairly recent.

The Sainthood of Dave Matthews Has Been Indefinitely Postponed
Quote:
He’s one of the highest grossing musicians alive. He fills stadiums. He fills the Gorge. So why won’t Seattle claim its biggest rock star?
[Only registered users can see links.]
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:59 AM   #67
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

I stopped reading after the first description of the audience at the Gorge. How pretentious, the writer hit every cliche. Fuck.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 01-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #68
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I stopped reading after the first description of the audience at the Gorge. How pretentious, the writer hit every cliche. Fuck.
Yeah but... it isn't wrong.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:25 AM   #69
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Yeah but... it isn't wrong.
It isn't? I don't know, I feel like the band's audience has grown a bit....I don't see people wearing flannel pajamas and socks with sandals these days.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #70
klillyblad

That was good. I was in Seattle last fall, it's beautiful and the vibe is noticeably different from places I've lived (VA, MN). I can totally see why Dave likes it. He gets to be invisible.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 AM   #71
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Yeah that article had some truth-bits in it but was mostly pretentious trash.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #72
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
It isn't? I don't know, I feel like the band's audience has grown a bit....I don't see people wearing flannel pajamas and socks with sandals these days.
Quote:
The audience has interpreted that edict as an embrace of all things comfortable, clad in plaid flannels or hoodies or plaid flannels layered over hoodies. One trio wears matching lime-green shirts printed with the Tommy Boy callout “Holy Schnikes!” and nonmatching baggy cargo shorts. Some raise $25 big plastic goblets of strawberry frosé. The air smells like weed. Of course it smells like weed.
The first sentence is maybe an over generalization; the others are specific observations I doubt they made up. And, if nothing else, it definitely smells like weed.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 AM   #73
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
if nothing else, it definitely smells like weed.
Most outdoor concerts geared at adults smell like weed.....
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #74
Josh.0

This article reflects exactly why I decided not to move to the PNW back when I was weighing Denver, Portland, Seattle, or San Diego.

Every time I went to Seattle or Portland (I’ve been to both multiple times), I felt like I kept running into absolutely miserable, pretentious, yet entirely socially-privileged white-middle-class hipsters. People that celebrate their pseudo-intellectual endless dispair with all things mainstream or “not Seattle” or “not Portland” with some kind of awkward reverence lacking any self-awareness. So many smart people that have no idea how to put their brainpower to better use. Too often they’re so into the smell of their own farts that they forget they stink just as much as those of the non-Seattleites/Portlandians that they’re excessively/endlessly criticizing (particularly when it comes to what’s “cool” versus what’s “not cool”) all the time.

It’s apathetic white privilege on full display in an area filled with people that will tell everyone else to check their white privilege. I couldn’t be happier to have chosen the mountain region over a lifetime of that lacking-any-self-awareness beyond-pretentious bullshit.

It’s a shame, too, because both cities, geographically, are beautiful. Portland also has some of my favorite breweries. But the people that fill them are overwhelmingly insufferable. Miserable, and for the most part none of them could tell you exactly why.

That article has less to do with Dave Matthews and more to do with Allison Williams shouting, “see, world? See how witty I am?” The joke is Allison has absolutely no idea that almost everyone sees what she’s actually doing and if we rolled our eyes any harder they’d fall out of our heads.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #75
Minarets
so damn interesting.

Let’s face it, being famous comes with a lot of perks but how annoying it would be just to run down the the local Mexican food joint and have to wave, shake hands with, smile and take endless photos with all the time. Because today, the one time you don’t, even though you normally do, you’re a complete rude, ass hole, entitled prick and everyone on twitter knows it.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #76
imjustchillin

Wow Joshy boy, so judgmental. I think you grossly mischaracterize the people of the NW.
imjustchillin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #77
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
This article reflects exactly why I decided not to move to the PNW back when I was weighing Denver, Portland, Seattle, or San Diego.

Every time I went to Seattle or Portland (I’ve been to both multiple times), I felt like I kept running into absolutely miserable, pretentious, yet entirely socially-privileged white-middle-class hipsters. People that celebrate their pseudo-intellectual endless dispair with all things mainstream or “not Seattle” or “not Portland” with some kind of awkward reverence lacking any self-awareness. So many smart people that have no idea how to put their brainpower to better use. Too often they’re so into the smell of their own farts that they forget they stink just as much as those of the non-Seattleites/Portlandians that they’re excessively/endlessly criticizing (particularly when it comes to what’s “cool” versus what’s “not cool”) all the time.

It’s apathetic white privilege on full display in an area filled with people that will tell everyone else to check their white privilege. I couldn’t be happier to have chosen the mountain region over a lifetime of that lacking-any-self-awareness beyond-pretentious bullshit.

It’s a shame, too, because both cities, geographically, are beautiful. Portland also has some of my favorite breweries. But the people that fill them are overwhelmingly insufferable. Miserable, and for the most part none of them could tell you exactly why.

That article has less to do with Dave Matthews and more to do with Allison Williams shouting, “see, world? See how witty I am?” The joke is Allison has absolutely no idea that almost everyone sees what she’s actually doing and if we rolled our eyes any harder they’d fall out of our heads.
Harsh.. but well written!
Old 01-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #78
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustchillin View Post
Wow Joshy boy, so judgmental. I think you grossly mischaracterize the people of the NW.
I’m sure there are exceptions to what I’ve written. I’ve met some good people out there. But I’ve tried time and time again (especially in Portland) to prove my previous experiences wrong only to come away thinking, “fuck, it really is like this.”

One of my good friends that lives there even joked with me about how my read is spot on, people are just overwhelmingly miserable and no one really knows why. It’s like they’re miserable at how decent their lives are. They bitch because they’re pissed they have nothing to bitch about. Most, particularly Gen-X and Y, have never dealt with any real problems, so they project some faux attitude to act as if we just don’t understand how deep their problems really are.

I’m not saying Denver’s perfect - it’s a different breed (a lot of forever 22-year-olds) - but I can say the people here are overwhelmingly nice and approachable.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #79
imjustchillin

Almost sounds like the mentality of the privileged here who bitch about set lists and still pour so much time, energy, and $ into the band. I think I get it.
imjustchillin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #80
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustchillin View Post
Almost sounds like the mentality of the privileged here who bitch about set lists and still pour so much time, energy, and $ into the band. I think I get it.
Yep, that's it. Good talk.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc