These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2018, 02:55 AM   #121
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I hear you on the trying to be more positive thing. I honestly have too. But how many times can they take a LOT of money from you, shit in your mouth, and if you complain about it they tell you youíre wrong for not liking the taste of their shit that you paid for and they shit in your mouth again?

Dave Matthews is still butthurt about LWS. He never forgave us (even though 99.9% of us had nothing to do with it), so when heís feeling generous he throws us a bone but the vast majority of the rest of the time his long-standing anger is taken out on us in such a way that heíll barely ever let himself or the rest of the band regularly play what we want to hear. Has anyone not noticed the supremely bored look Fonz always has on his face?

We routinely say that Dave is a good guy. And I think he is, when it comes to, like, political things. Or shaking some nervous fansí hand and acting interested in their story. But when push comes to shove, heís a dude that clearly holds a grudge and hasnít been the same since 2000. And the more we complain, the more he takes on a ďoh youíre complaining? Iíll make it even worseĒ attitude (see: Jimi, Grey St, and the constant burial of gem songs).

I know that sounds dramatic, but I honestly think itís reality. Thatís my .02, and Iím not saying it with anger, more just ďcan we just call out whatís happening here already?Ē

They should still be selling out stadiums regularly. They have the material to do it. But egos are a funny thing.
Whoa. I mean pretty true.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:01 AM   #122
greykitkat36

Josh.o literally is so offbase on this it’s insane. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a rant more unfounded and off than this on here since I joined in 2005.

1) It’s always been this way. The band has never mixed stuff up all that much. You mention 1996 Dave? Dude. They literally played the same exact set every night back then. You could argue that these days they’re mixing their sets up more than ever before. Yes they have a big catalog now and could always change stuff more, but to say that 90s DMB was better at changing it up just isn’t true at all.

2) we are a rediculously small portion of the fan base. Probably less than 10%. They don’t have to please us. The majority of the people going to the shows and making them money are not us. Case and point.

3) Our opinions are minute. Dave doesn’t scroll these boards and see what everyone is saying. You’re giving him far too much credit. Dave doesn’t think hard enough about it. There’s no bitter conspiracy against hardcores. I don’t buy that. He’s not sitting there trying to maniacally fuck us over...he’s just writing a bunch of songs on a list and he’s 9/10 times going off his memory what songs they are currently playing in rotation.

4) To me it’s no surprise that MSG got the best sets. That venue is special and has always been special for DMB and Dave, they treat it like a different monster—12-20,12-21 ‘02....12/10/05 etc. prove that point. It’s on the same level as SPAC, Gorge and Alpine. They are treated differently and that’s just a fact. Once again, that’s always been the case.

I agree it’s odd that YNK, KTK were not played...but you still got Rhyme, Jane, Warehouse, LIOG, Crush, Ants, Two Step, Halloween, Ditch, Christmas Song. I mean that’s 10 great songs and that’s 50% of the concert, not including semi-good/tolerable songs like DYR, YMDT, She etc. and then N1 got a BEF tour debut opener..and if you say you knew that was coming, you’re a damn liar.

Don’t get me wrong, I think overall this tour was a letdown based on how the first 3 shows went out of the gate. That being said, this is Still a really good 3.0 Tour, and id put it above 2012 Fall Tour and probably pretty close to 2010.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:04 AM   #123
dmb2much40

There’s two crap songs in this set. Strong opening, strong closing and some good jamming. The only reason to be upset with this set is having expectations far too high.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #124
JoeyB
this maze

this band owes us nothing. stop being petty and enjoy the music for what it is. this music and the band has and will always be special to each of us individually, and that is the same across the millions and millions across their fanbase. we are lucky this band still enjoys playing the music and is having a ton of fun. when they play or write something new, or recall a older song that may be close to our hearts or play a song that 10% of the fanbase doesn’t care much for, , enjoy it for what it is, not for what you feel it should be, otherwise you’ll always be disappointed.

Last edited by JoeyB; 12-16-2018 at 07:35 AM. Reason: grammar
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #125
SomeDevil17

Is that the longest they have gone not playing jimi thing in a while? 7 shows, I had to double check that.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #126
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Feels like the fam in here sometimes. Everybody has gotten older and less edgy.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:17 AM   #127
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
this band owes us nothing. stop being petty and enjoy the music for what it is. this music and the band has and will always be special to each of us individually, and that is the same across the millions and millions across their fanbase. we are lucky this band still enjoys playing the music and is having a ton of fun. when they play or write something new, or recall a older song that may be close to our hearts or play a song that 10% of the fanbase doesnít care much for, , enjoy it for what it is, not for what you feel it should be, otherwise youíll always be disappointed.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #128
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Feels like the fam in here sometimes. Everybody has gotten older and less edgy.
true, but there’s really nothing wrong with that. Accepting/enjoying what is.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #129
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
They huddled after MSG N1 and decided they donít want to do that much work
At least Dave didn't trot the Ladies out after this huddle
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #130
sean52692
You failed this band

This set looks pretty good to me.

Warehouse opener, Jane, early set Crush, Say Bye, Rhyme with Lawlor, Jimi with D'Earth, PNP Rapunzel, new cover with guests into Ants.

Then a solid ass encore. Anytime you get a full band Two Step these days it's a treat. First Halloween in a couple years.

This really isn't as bad as some of y'all are pretending it is - yes, there is some crap in here - Funny, Can't Stop, She, YMDT, and WYAG, but the rest is quite decent. Performances have been great this tour as well.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:02 AM   #131
UWMike

Really fun shows in Cville. Band sounds tight. I’d love for them to sound like 1998 again, but age/death/legal troubles say that’s not gonna happen.

Some of these guys are now in their 60s, and the band has always had big gaps from one fall/winter arena tour to the next. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s the last December run we see for this crew.
UWMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #132
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
This set looks pretty good to me.

Warehouse opener, Jane, early set Crush, Say Bye, Rhyme with Lawlor, Jimi with D'Earth, PNP Rapunzel, new cover with guests into Ants.

Then a solid ass encore. Anytime you get a full band Two Step these days it's a treat. First Halloween in a couple years.

This really isn't as bad as some of y'all are pretending it is - yes, there is some crap in here - Funny, Can't Stop, She, YMDT, and WYAG, but the rest is quite decent. Performances have been great this tour as well.
Seriously. Anyone expecting more out of a 2018 DMB show is being silly.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #133
JoeyB
this maze

[Only registered users can see links.]

this is us.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #134
bassplayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWMike View Post
Really fun shows in Cville. Band sounds tight. Iíd love for them to sound like 1998 again, but age/death/legal troubles say thatís not gonna happen.

Some of these guys are now in their 60s, and the band has always had big gaps from one fall/winter arena tour to the next. Wouldnít surprise me if thatís the last December run we see for this crew.
I think you'll see another one. They seem to really enjoy being on stage right now.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #135
.Gary.

Not sure what anyone is bitching about when this is above average for this tour.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #136
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
Not sure what anyone is bitching about when this is above average for this tour.
Most of the people who attended the show arenít bitching.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #137
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Are we really not going to talk about Rock Around the Clock? Who can fill me in here? How’d it go? THERE’S a nostalgic blast from the past! My grandparents used to play that in the car all the time when I was kid.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #138
klillyblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post

The encore was a blast.

Ants was one for the books as well. Thought the set was balanced well. Would have preferred Recently again with DíEarth instead of Jimi - but then again, who wouldnít?
Agree with everything you said here. I started the year with the worst Ants Iíve ever heard (super bowl show) and ended with the best Ants Iíve ever seen.

About half the shows I attend I go with freaks like us and the other half is with close friends who are casual fans or just want to hang out with me so they humor me and go. My friend who went last night is the latter and she had a blast at a 3 hour concert where she had probably heard 1/4 of the songs before.

Are there songs I wish Iíd heard these last 3 shows? Sure. Would have loved Stone, Kill the King, Lover Lay Down, Dreaming Tree. I go into every single show wanting to hear Pay For What You Get, a song I got my first show and never since. In 2009, I stopped going into shows with expectations because I realized that feeling entitled (yeah, Iím going there) to hearing certain songs or wanting to be at the show everyone on the boards raves about only made my experience less.

I spent a good chunk of change on airfare, rental car, hotel, ubers, parking, and tickets (scalpers can go fork themselves) for DC and Cville and I would do it all over again. I enjoyed these 3 shows more than any full band show Iíve seen in years. Cville N2 is up there at top 5 for me because of the combo of songs, song placement and flow, energy, crowd, quality of performance, and just utter joy coming from the stage. I havenít felt this good about this band in years.

Finally, after seeing it live I now get the love for Again and Again.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #139
klillyblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Are we really not going to talk about Rock Around the Clock? Who can fill me in here? Howíd it go? THEREíS a nostalgic blast from the past! My grandparents used to play that in the car all the time when I was kid.
It was really great! Carter started Ants and stopped abruptly and then you heard music offstage. It took me a moment to realize itís Preservation Hall Jazz Band. They then come out onto the stage while playing. Then it was back to Ants. So freaking good.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #140
mrpeters
Lock it away inside myself...

Great time! Converting tapes now. Great to see you Kim!
mrpeters is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc