These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2018, 11:27 PM   #81
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Dave Matthews Band should not be selling out stadiums at this point. And do you really think if Last Stop and Dreaming Tree were in regular rotation that would make it more possible to do so?
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #82
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
A lot of people will say youíre crazy but Iíve felt this way for years. Itís very possible this is the case.
I know. Itís okay. When they do things like play the encore they just played after mostly mailing in the rest of the weekend it should make it pretty obvious to people that these things are more calculated than people want to admit.

Play the shit we can play blindfolded because fuck what anyone else wants
End on a high note so people canít complain too much and make them think that if they keep coming back theyíll actually get those carrots

Itís how a lot of businesses operate. Give just enough to keep them coming back, but not so much that you have to invest any more time and effort than you need to.

1996 Dave Matthews would bitch slap the fuck out of 2018 Dave Matthews for operating this way.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #83
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
Dave Matthews Band should not be selling out stadiums at this point. And do you really think if Last Stop and Dreaming Tree were in regular rotation that would make it more possible to do so?
Those two plus about 30-40 other buried songs.

But I suppose this is where the fanboys try skewing and simplifying my point to discredit it?
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #84
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

You know that the only way you grow personally/professionally is when you are challenging yourself and outside your comfort zone. Last Stop won’t help them sell more tix per se. but the attitude of taking a chance/caution to the wind will. I know people pick up on that
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #85
NiCK (Crush)

That was fucking fun.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #86
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
You know that the only way you grow personally/professionally is when you are challenging yourself and outside your comfort zone. Last Stop wonít help them sell more tix per se. but the attitude of taking a chance/caution to the wind will. I know people pick up on that
Bingo!
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #87
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Those two plus about 30-40 other buried songs.

But I suppose this is where the fanboys try skewing and simplifying my point to discredit it?
So a tour of DMB deep cuts sells out stadiums? I can see why youíd want that but it wouldnít help ticket sales.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #88
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

These shows were a letdown. SPAC is the only reliable venue. That sucks for the rest of the country.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #89
Feathered
oh shit!

Yeah the skips tonight are obnoxious. This whole weekend the skips were beyond comprehension. I had a ton of fun at my shows but you could definitely feel the tide turning by the time Philly came around.

The fam might have been jerking off over that encore but its the same encore type of trick they've been pulling for years. The Scopers/Fam are just too ill informed to know that or see it coming. They're idiots and it makes us seem even more jaded even though this could be a copy pasted discussion from basically any year.

Wasn't a bad show, just could have been better. Anyway thats pretty much the drum beat of everyone from the ml>bridge>ufck>tdc crew as it is and it has been for as long as I've been around these parts.

I think the big trick to being a DMB hardcore fan (and what I learned taking some time off for a few years actively stalking the setlist and nitpicking) is to just pick your shows, try to spread them out a bit and keep expectations low. Know you are going to get railed by at least 3-5 songs you don't want to hear. Expect either perfect flow or shit that doesn't make sense and enjoy the guys playing the shit out of what they are playing. Hit up the shows you know (or pretty much know) are going to be solid (spac, gorge, etc) if you are worried about things but just don't focus on things statistically speaking.

I mean hell, this is the first year I've gone to more than 2 shows since 2012 and I'm not really bitching about anything aside from too many OSW / Granny combos at my shows, which again I expect. Fuck I even expected to get Jimi'd one more time before it was over and avoided that bullet. Next year I'm going to do the taper thing cause its fun and keeps things interesting for me so I'll probably see a lot of shows but fuck it, who knows how much longer we've got with them touring a lot so I'm going to enjoy it.
Feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:36 PM   #90
Josh.0

Quote:
So a tour of DMB deep cuts sells out stadiums? I can see why you’d want that but it wouldn’t help ticket sales.
Stop being intentionally dumb.

Not A tour, but the past 18 years of tours with those types of songs - absolutely. The ones that can be trained to like You and Me can also be trained to like Lover Lay Down. If they stood by what they know is their best material the outcome would be no worse than it is now, if not much better because they wouldn’t have lost the vast majority of their original fans. Some would have fallen off, but not nearly to the extent that they have because DMB tries to ham-fist some of their worst material into setlists year after year.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:38 PM   #91
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

This set/show was better than SPAC n2.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #92
Josh.0

Quote:
These shows were a letdown. SPAC is the only reliable venue. That sucks for the rest of the country.
Which, again, tells you they know what their best material is. Because they know in New York theyíll get destroyed if they try to play the games they play elsewhere.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:40 PM   #93
Feathered
oh shit!

And btw I'm in no means saying these two were "bad" shows. Fucking 2001 were and still ARE bad shows across the board. 2005 was mostly BAD shows.

These were the kind of shows that if you had hit up say Cbus and then these guys it would have kicked fucking ass and been a blast. If you had seen 4 other shows maybe not so much.

I had an awesome 2018, got to meet a bunch of folks I never thought I would get around to meeting. Saw some songs I didnt expect to get to hear EVER again, got some nice covers, got Cortez, got my YNK opener. Fuck it, worth every goddamn penny I spent seeing them.

I'm just saying perspective and going with the flow at this point in knowing what this band is capable of vs what they frequently lean on doing.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:43 PM   #94
dancetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Not to sound dramatic, but no Come Tomorrow this tour is shocking. I can understand IOY not getting play, but CT is a much newer song, and the title song from the most recent studio album for god's sake.
I'm also surprised, but don't forget that they stopped playing the song Busted Stuff about 2 months before that album came out and didn't play it again for about 8 years (5/18/02 - 5/28/10, with two D&T performances in early '03). Not a perfect comparison since that wasn't a new song at the time, but still.
dancetheham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:44 PM   #95
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
This set/show was better than SPAC n2.
Maybe but the JTR and Bartender bustouts were very unexpected. Thatís the kind of shit I want in a show: the unexpected, even if itís Hunger.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #96
Tomacco

I’m glad I went to MSG for the rarities and guests and all. No KTK here sucks.
But come on. What is wrong with this set? There are strong moments throughout this entire show. The encore is amazing. Both Two Step and Halloween are huge rarities the last couple years. Warehouse, Jane, Crush, Say Bye, LIOG, R&R, Ants with preservation hall.
So much gold here. How could people be upset with this?
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #97
Feathered
oh shit!

Quote:
Maybe but the JTR and Bartender bustouts were very unexpected. Thatís the kind of shit I want in a show: the unexpected, even if itís Hunger.
Thats right motherfucker, you take that Hunger for the Great Light and you LOVE IT for how fucking random that was this year
Old 12-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #98
Feathered
oh shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Iím glad I went to MSG for the rarities and guests and all. No KTK here sucks.
But come on. What is wrong with this set? There are strong moments throughout this entire show. The encore is amazing. Both Two Step and Halloween are huge rarities the last couple years. Warehouse, Jane, Crush, Say Bye, LIOG, R&R, Ants with preservation hall.
Alcohol and the DMB Almanac.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #99
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I’m glad I went to MSG for the rarities and guests and all. No KTK here sucks.
There’s truth to this, but do you think this is the tour they had in mind after Cbus? Something changed and they said “fuck it”

Anyway I don’t think these shows were bad just they should try harder
Old 12-15-2018, 11:48 PM   #100
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Stop being intentionally dumb.

Not A tour, but the past 18 years of tours with those types of songs - absolutely. The ones that can be trained to like You and Me can also be trained to like Lover Lay Down. If they stood by what they know is their best material the outcome would be no worse than it is now, if not much better because they wouldn’t have lost the vast majority of their original fans. Some would have fallen off, but not nearly to the extent that they have because DMB tries to ham-fist some of their worst material into setlists year after year.
The only time they played stadiums consistently was when they rode an MTV/TRL wave after Everyday. Their best setlists ever had already passed them by. It’s stupid to say they’d be selling out stadiums when they never consistently did with setlists covering only the Big 3.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc