These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #121
celluloid hero

You weren’t there, and you’re debating with someone who was about the crowd that was there?

This is why people dismiss you immediately. Not just because you have different opinions.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #122
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Didn't see a show this tour, I would have really enjoyed seeing a YNK opener, Seek Up, Nancies > Warehouse, and Christmas Song.

Definitely some poor filler in there though.
So you would have enjoyed 25% of the show? Cool I guess, same here.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #123
typsitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
You werenít there, and youíre debating with someone who was about the crowd that was there?

This is why people dismiss you immediately. Not just because you have different opinions.
Dude, DMB crowds are mostly the same. You really think DC crowd is wildly different than Boston and filled with a bunch of lame casuals? Of course there are casuals! And yes, they'll stick out when you see the glow from their cell phones when Seek Up is playing. But that's every show, every venue. You're less likely to notice the hardcode fan sticking mostly to themselves digging the song intensely.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #124
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Dude, DMB crowds are mostly the same. You really think DC crowd is wildly different than Boston and filled with a bunch of lame casuals? Of course there are casuals! And yes, they'll stick out when you see the glow from their cell phones when Seek Up is playing. But that's every show, every venue. You're less likely to notice the hardcode fan sticking mostly to themselves digging the song intensely.
Yes, I do. Have you been to like 3 shows?
Old 12-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #125
typsitch

Besides major destination venues like Gorge, or special venues like Cville, I haven't noticed major differences in the crowd, other than watching it age over the years. I'm always in Pit. Granted, I've only been to east-coast spots other than Gorge.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #126
celluloid hero

There's a noticeable difference between Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Columbus and Blossom even and they are all within a couple hundred miles of each other. There's another big difference in the crowd that shows up on a Thursday vs. a Friday.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #127
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
There's a big difference in crowds depending on where you go - and it doesn't have to be just SPAC/Gorge.

Crowds are definitely different depending on the venue. The crowds in Denver this past August vs. any show I've seen at Deer Creek/Alpine couldn't be more different. Totally different vibe.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #128
typsitch

Quote:
There's a noticeable difference between Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Columbus and Blossom even and they are all within a couple hundred miles of each other. There's another big difference in the crowd that shows up on a Thursday vs. a Friday.
Ok, fair I guess. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention between the east coast cities. Wouldn't you think it's likely to be a more hardcore base on a weeknight?

Anyways, the point is that even if DC was filled with 95% casual fans, Dave should just play consistently interesting, creative setlists that appease both casuals and hardcores, every show. A hardcore fan in the DC area (again, only 2.5 hours away from Cville) shouldn't have to travel outside to get a good set.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:32 AM   #129
typsitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
There's a big difference in crowds depending on where you go - and it doesn't have to be just SPAC/Gorge.

Crowds are definitely different depending on the venue. The crowds in Denver this past August vs. any show I've seen at Deer Creek/Alpine couldn't be more different. Totally different vibe.
Aren't DC/Alpine still considered "tier 1" DMB venues though. I guess the question is whether run-of-the-mill standard venues have wildly different crowd makeups of hardcores vs. casuals. I haven't seen it.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #130
celluloid hero

Quote:
Ok, fair I guess. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention between the east coast cities. Wouldn't you think it's likely to be a more hardcore base on a weeknight?

Anyways, the point is that even if DC was filled with 95% casual fans, Dave should just play consistently interesting, creative setlists that appease both casuals and hardcores, every show. A hardcore fan in the DC area (again, only 2.5 hours away from Cville) shouldn't have to travel outside to get a good set.
Weeknights are also much more sober, much less just vibing to everything played no matter. But despite this discussion, part of my point in general is that it isn't a formula that we can work out before or after the show and use it to tell a guy who was actually at the show, and paying attention, that he's wrong about the crowd that was at the show.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #131
typsitch

Quote:
Weeknights are also much more sober, much less just vibing to everything played no matter. But despite this discussion, part of my point in general is that it isn't a formula that we can work out before or after the show and use it to tell a guy who was actually at the show, and paying attention, that he's wrong about the crowd that was at the show.
Maybe you should read my initial response again. I didn't question his perception of casual fans surrounding him, I just said there were plenty of hardcores there (which there were, % debatable), and that I disagreed with the idea that Dave was playing an appropriate setlist based on the perceived number of casuals.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #132
Mitch

Wtf is going on in here? Perceptions. Percentages. "Hardcores." Typsitch, you need to come up with a formula for how perceived hardcore to casual ratio correlates with Dave's setlist creativity.

Just enjoy a fucking concert, dude
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #133
typsitch

Fair point, I'm heading to cville soon. wish me luck
Old 12-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #134
dmb2much40

Its never been more obvious you have to go to a top tier venue to get a great set. Reality is there are far less hardcore fans than there used to be, so sets like this are becoming more common. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Dave threw a few bones to the hardcores: ynk opener, seek up, nancies>warehouse.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #135
klillyblad

For anyone interested, I did see a mic stand just off the pit/Jeff’s side.
Also, I’ll add tapes for 12/11+ to the 2018 folder when I get back home on Tuesday night. I didn’t pack my laptop on this trip because I needed a break from work.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #136
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Its never been more obvious you have to go to a top tier venue to get a great set. Reality is there are far less hardcore fans than there used to be, so sets like this are becoming more common. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Dave threw a few bones to the hardcores: ynk opener, seek up, nancies>warehouse.
I dunno. WPB is considered a popular venue and I thought Toronto’s Set was better than both those shows this year.
And this year Columbus and Montreal got great shows while Boston and DC didn’t (bigger cities and fanbases).
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #137
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I don't think it's simply "bigger cities." DMB has been dumping on Chicago for a good decade+

There are definitely certain venues that more often than not get special treatment, but still are susceptible to duds.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #138
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry

0:07 mark ... Buddy back up vocals. Dave's reaction like "HOLY SH... this guy can sing"

I can imagine he will play a bigger role within the next summer tour
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #139
Mitch

Quote:
Fair point, I'm heading to cville soon. wish me luck
Have fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by klillyblad View Post
Iíll add tapes for 12/11+ to the 2018 folder when I get back home on Tuesday night. I didnít pack my laptop on this trip because I needed a break from work.
slacker
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #140
Rowsdower
TIMING FREE!

This set looks boring as heck, to be honest.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc