Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2018, 10:53 PM   #81
soright05

This is disgusting
soright05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #82
greykitkat36

Jesus Christ this set blows. I mean yes there are a small handful of awesome classics but everything surrounding it...ouch as bad as it can get basically. Really a shame the band can’t comtinue to keep things fresh, keep putting out TDs and mixing it up when they’re literally playing such a small tour. I understand when it’s a 4 month summer tour, but for only like 15 shows, come on.

Even songs that were played this summer haven’t even made an appearance like Hello Again, Raven, Squirm etc
Old 12-13-2018, 10:57 PM   #83
dmb2much40

That’s a rough set.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:12 PM   #84
Ras Trent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Grey Street is far worse. Crotch, kicked.
I’m considering my crotch “ball-tapped.”

I’ll take Grey Street over Watchtower any day.
Ras Trent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #85
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

I dunno. Seemed like basically the right set for the crowd. Around me, Seek Up was the piss break and aside from that everyone seemed to be having a great time. Huge reactions to Satellite, Bayou, YMDT, You and Me, Grey Street. After YNK opened, the dude behind me was like “I don’t even have ANY IDEA what THAT was” and everyone else around shrugged. Also huge crowd reaction to Nancies and Warehouse, not all bad, but I think they read the room pretty well. Radio hits and energy.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the YNK opener and Seek Up and Buddy sounded fantastic. Great presence on stage and I really enjoyed his work, especially Seek Up. I don’t see many shows so it was fun just to see them sounding so awesome and having so much fun.

But next time I really need to go somewhere with a better crowd.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #86
greykitkat36

Take the good/great songs out of this set, you're left with:

Satellite
That Girl Is You
Seven
Louisiana Bayou
Funny The Way It Is
Again and Again
Sledgehammer
Can't Stop
Everyday
Here On Out
You Might Die Trying
You And Me
Grey Street (used to be great, but considered bad these days).

I mean, christ. That's basically a wish list of everything you never want to hear at a show, and NEVER in the same show. Man. Would love to hear the reviews on this one.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #87
Thrawn

Oh also I took a friend who had never heard a single DMB song before and he really enjoyed it. Particularly impressed with Dave’s wailing, Buddy, and Carter.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Old 12-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #88
soright05

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post

Satellite
That Girl Is You
Seven
Louisiana Bayou
Funny The Way It Is
Again and Again
Sledgehammer
Can't Stop
Everyday
Here On Out
You Might Die Trying
You And Me

I mean, christ. That's basically a wish list of everything you never want to hear at a show, and NEVER in the same show. Man. Would love to hear the reviews on this one.
Again and again should be taken out
soright05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #89
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
I dunno. Seemed like basically the right set for the crowd. Around me, Seek Up was the piss break and aside from that everyone seemed to be having a great time. Huge reactions to Satellite, Bayou, YMDT, You and Me, Grey Street. After YNK opened, the dude behind me was like “I don’t even have ANY IDEA what THAT was” and everyone else around shrugged. Also huge crowd reaction to Nancies and Warehouse, not all bad, but I think they read the room pretty well. Radio hits and energy.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the YNK opener and Seek Up and Buddy sounded fantastic. Great presence on stage and I really enjoyed his work, especially Seek Up. I don’t see many shows so it was fun just to see them sounding so awesome and having so much fun.

But next time I really need to go somewhere with a better crowd.
That sucks, but a shitty show for hardcore fans, that's for sure. And to be fair, there's really not a whole lot of radio hits in this set at all--Seven, Bayou, YMDT, Can't Stop, Here On Out, Seek Up etc. I get what you're saying though.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM   #90
Thrawn

Yeah, but I had "YOU AND ME WAS OUR WEDDING SONG" and "THAT GIRL IS YOU IS MY FAVORITE FROM THE NEW ALBUM!!" all nearby; that kind of thing.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:43 PM   #91
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by soright05 View Post
Again and again should be taken out
I like that song, but can't say it's a song that can help save what's around it--it's not a Minarets, Seek Up, Stone etc. It's more middle of the road good as a live tune. Doesn't make a show worse, but doesn't make it better either.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:45 PM   #92
Ras Trent

This was probably my 21st show, and the first since 2012.

Kinda had a feeling it would be a stinker. It had some nice moments and, at times, brought back some great memories. But, at the end of the day, it’s a Dave Matthews Band show in 2018.

I don’t regret it, and it was cool to FINALLY see the band up close, but I’m fine if this is it.

That said, if they ever announce a legit, final “farewell concert,” I’ll be there.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #93
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Trent View Post
I’m considering my crotch “ball-tapped.”

I’ll take Grey Street over Watchtower any day.
GS really isn't a great closer though, I'm sorry. Watchtower is a much better choice in that slot--has a lot more energy and is more epic. Grey Street has no buisness closing out sets or encores imo..I think it could be a great opener and a good midset song.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #94
Ras Trent

Quote:
GS really isn't a great closer though, I'm sorry. Watchtower is a much better choice in that slot--has a lot more energy and is more epic. Grey Street has no buisness closing out sets or encores imo..I think it could be a great opener and a good midset song.
Haha I don’t care that much. It was fine.

And, honestly, “fine” is all I could ask for out of a 2018 DMB show.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 PM   #95
Tomacco

Quote:

Satellite
That Girl Is You
Seven
Louisiana Bayou
Funny The Way It Is
Again and Again
Sledgehammer
Can't Stop
Everyday
Here On Out
You Might Die Trying
You And Me

I quite like half those songs but yeah not all in the same show.
YMDT was really really enjoyable at MSG as the set closer I gotta say.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #96
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Trent View Post
Haha I don’t care that much. It was fine.
Yeah I mean you haven't seen a show in 6 years so that helps it a lot. I've seen Grey Street at 16 of my 29 shows, and it's my most seen song by the band, with YMDT right behind it.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:48 PM   #97
Thrawn

I will say that, setlist choices aside, there was nothing mailed in about the performance. Everyone was obviously into it, having a great time, acknowledging any time anyone did an unexpected fill or a great solo moment. They were really feeling it. That was not a lazy show.

And Seek Up really was tremendous. Tim had a great, syncopated, bizarre little extra solo at the end and they’ve really figured out how to nail the vibe of Buddy’s piano solo there. Totally different from the Boyd buildup but completely successful.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:51 PM   #98
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I quite like half those songs but yeah not all in the same show.
YMDT was really really enjoyable at MSG as the set closer I gotta say.
I enjoyed YMDT too at MSG but it came after this run:

Lover Lay Down
Lie In Our Graves w/ Krasno
Sleep To Dream Her
Typical Situation

and was followed by

What You Are
Ants Marching

makes a huge difference in how YMDT is perceived and enjoyed in context.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #99
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

So those at the show had a good time. Those watching the set think it’s deplorable. Shocking reactions

Also hilarious how people are surprised their variety has gone down as the tour progresses.
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 11:53 PM   #100
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post

And Seek Up really was tremendous. Tim had a great, syncopated, bizarre little extra solo at the end and they’ve really figured out how to nail the vibe of Buddy’s piano solo there. Totally different from the Boyd buildup but completely successful.
No one's doubting that, they've been playing phenomenal all tour, and Seek Up has been one of the highlights of the entire fall tour for sure. Buddy is miles ahead of where he was in the summer. I agree the band hasn't sounded this good together in years.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc