These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #21
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob554 View Post
I was going through a really difficult time my senior year of high school. My dad, who never really established a close relationship with me, went out of his way to do something special because he knew how much this band meant to me.

He went out in late February 2001 and bought Everyday for me (despite the fact I already had all of the Napster downloads, even if in the wrong order). He then sat down with me and listened to all of the songs, and then taped the TRL performance so we could watch it together.

Honestly it was one of the coolest things he ever did. He died a few years ago a week before I went to a DMB show here in St. Louis. Dave played a solo The Space Between and I just broke down and cried in my seat. That song still makes me tear up whenever I hear it because of how it represents the time my dad went above and beyond to reach out to me.

That's my story.
Good story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
It's cute. I mean she knows that I already know these things but I think sometimes she uses DMB to start a conversation or discussion, which really plays into the music/band sometimes being a catalyst for keeping that close connection to someone.
Yup. The thing that kept my Dad and I connected when I was a shit-head in high school was the mid-80’s Mets. And throughout my adulthood too. I have a similar thing with my son now. Music and sports can both maintain bonds.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #22
klillyblad

My mom died in 2008. When I think of her and the band, I remember how I hardly listened to DMB that year. My emotions were too raw. Not sure if anyone else has had a similar reaction when they were going through a tough time.

My dad has been a good sport, letting people crash at his house when I fly back to Virginia for shows. I think we had 6 people stay there the night between the Bristow and Virginia Beach shows in 2012. He's even done a latenight run to WaWa to pick up me and a friend after a show.

A few years ago he called me to say he was flipping through the channels and caught one of their concerts so he watched a bit. He said (and I’m quoting) “I don’t see what the big deal is”.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #23
NiCK (Crush)

I've probably been to about 25 shows with my dad. Obviously used to go a lot more with him when I was younger, but lately we've been able to see a show together every other year or so. He's a big fan.

He was once a drummer himself, so he of course was always incredibly drawn to Carter's playing. The first song my dad ever really took notice was of was Too Much when it started getting radio play. He's been a fan ever since.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #24
krayz
Roc-ing it up

I've gone to almost all of my 20 shows with my mom. Good times, except for the last show at TD Garden LOL
krayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #25
mja271

My dad got a copy of Crash around 96/97 from a customer at the dry cleaners he owns. The guy knew my dad liked jazz fusion and was a big fan of music in general. I remember listening to SMTS with him in the car for the first time when I was like 8 or 9. We’d have that cd in the car trip rotation for a while. That was my first exposure to DMB. Overall my dad thought musically they were great but never cared for Dave’s voice/lyrics so that was sort of where his involvement with them ended. Myself I didn’t become a big fan until I saw them when I was 18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #26
imjustchillin

These stories are great ya'll! Thanks for sharing. More inspired to take my mom to her first show.
imjustchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #27
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustchillin View Post
These stories are great ya'll! Thanks for sharing. More inspired to take my mom to her first show.
Oh, and my mom made us all chicken paprikaš that weekend in Cincy you might recall. :-)
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #28
Dartagnan
Standing Has Become a Chore...

No real connection with the music, but when our daughters were younger, my parents would watch them when we went out. Of course, DMB was an every year thing at Riverbend and when concerts were announced, my Mom would always let me know that they would make sure to be free that night. It was as much for them as it was for us.
Dartagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #29
spoke.

I saw my first 2 shows with my mom back at the Woodlands in 2001.

From 2001-2007 my mom took my brother and me both on individual vacations. He picked more exotic/historical destinations and I always planned mine around the dmb tour.

I was very lucky to have such an awesome mom who was willing to do all of this with me as well.

2001 - houston (woodlands)
2002 - san francisco (shoreline)
2003 - gorge
2004 - charlotte/raleigh
2005 - spac
2006 - fenway
2007 - brussels, belgium

I also went to the dave and tim Norfolk, VA dave and tim show with my parents back in 2003. My dad was interviewed by the local newspaper at the show.
spoke. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #30
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoke. View Post
I saw my first 2 shows with my mom back at the Woodlands in 2001.

From 2001-2007 my mom took my brother and me both on individual vacations. He picked more exotic/historical destinations and I always planned mine around the dmb tour.

I was very lucky to have such an awesome mom who was willing to do all of this with me as well.

2001 - houston (woodlands)
2002 - san francisco (shoreline)
2003 - gorge
2004 - charlotte/raleigh
2005 - spac
2006 - fenway
2007 - brussels, belgium

I also went to the dave and tim Norfolk, VA dave and tim show with my parents back in 2003. My dad was interviewed by the local newspaper at the show.
I feel this. My dad, my brother and I have definitely picked a range of shows over the years based on good and/or interesting locations to build a vacation around.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 AM   #31
imjustchillin

Quote:
Oh, and my mom made us all chicken paprikaš that weekend in Cincy you might recall. :-)
Oh man :-)

Can't wait for the 20th anniversary GB celebration. We need to plant this seed soon.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #32
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

I went with my mom and sister to my first DMB show - 4/21/02 in Montreal - and with my dad the following year at the Blossom show.

Nothing super close, but enjoyable shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
LET HE WHO HASN'T JERKED OFF ON HIS SLEEPING EMPLOYEE CAST THE FIRST STONE!
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #33
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

This is a wonderful thread! One of my favorites. I love reading these stories.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #34
Derek
hi there

My sister and I got my now almost 79 year old dad into the band about 12 years ago now. He's gone to several shows with either me or my sister and once together with both of us to both nights of Cville in 2010. He pops up with both of us in the front rocking out on the N1 DVD that was released.

One time at a show in Charlotte with my sister, they were up front against the rail and Rashawn kept an eye on them throughout the night. He talked back and forth with them after each song and then at one point gave my dad a bottle of water. At the end of the night he gave them his setlist which I thought was really cool.

But my favorite memory of going to a show with him was something really special for me. When I was younger, my mom became an alcoholic (she's almost 30 years sober now) and because of this my dad committed to a life of sobriety in support of her. However, at a show in Raleigh in 2009 he and I went to together he did break that promise and actually shared a beer with me. I'll never forget that show and sharing a beer with my dad for first (and only) time.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:53 PM   #35
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

Back when I was seeing 10+ shows per year. The comments were:
  • Why are you seeing that band again?
  • Stop wasting your money!
  • Don't you get tired of hearing the same songs every show?
  • Who are these random people you are going to meet? You are going to get murdered.
  • You are wasting your money traveling all over the place to see the same band

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 AM   #36
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Your Parents' Relationship to You and DMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeedog View Post
  • Who are these random people you are going to meet? You are going to get murdered.

Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 PM   #37
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustchillin View Post
Oh man :-)

Can't wait for the 20th anniversary GB celebration. We need to plant this seed soon.
Add Friday Feb 26 - Sunday Feb 28, 2021 in Cincy to your calendar. It's a real house this time, but it can still sleep thirty people uncomfortably - just to keep it authentic. I can try my hand at the family recipe.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #38
huffy

Quote:
Add Friday Feb 26 - Sunday Feb 28, 2021 in Cincy to your calendar. It's a real house this time, but it can still sleep thirty people uncomfortably - just to keep it authentic. I can try my hand at the family recipe.
Calendar blocked. Let's make it happen.
huffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #39
imjustchillin

👍👍
Old 12-22-2018, 12:09 AM   #40
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeedog View Post
I received all of these same comments over the years
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc