These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you feel about your job?
I love my job 18 54.55%
My job is OK 13 39.39%
I hate my job 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Josh.0

Do you like your job?

Vote and discuss.

I hate my job. I think I hate my whole field.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I love my job, but I hate the asshats I work with/around. I'm in the legal dept. of a major healthcare company.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
There is a lot of stupid shit/people that try to ruin college athletics.

But, for the most part, it's a great place to work
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
Josh.0

Hmm, I work in healthcare too, with medical software.

The whole industry is such a clusterfuck. I've worked for three different companies and each time all I've observed is that the software does like 60% of what it needs to do, leading to customer frustration, employee frustration, and fragmented knowledge across the industry. No one seems to be able to get it 100% right or even close to that.

It pays really well, but every day I want to wake up and drink a gallon of bleach because going to the ER seems better than going to the office. I would do anything to make what I make now as, say, a personal trainer. Maybe one day. Heh.

The other thing I've learned working in medical software is people bullshit ALL. THE. TIME. THe vast majority of people in this world act like they know more about subject matters than they really do, and try to pass off their bullshit as factual and important. It's a shame how many people in corporate America really just mislead others in order to make it through life feeling important.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post

The whole industry is such a clusterfuck. I've worked for three different companies and each time all I've observed is that the software does like 60% of what it needs to do, leading to customer frustration, employee frustration, and fragmented knowledge across the industry. No one seems to be able to get it 100% right or even close to that.

It pays really well, but every day I want to wake up and drink a gallon of bleach because going to the ER seems better than going to the office. I would do anything to make what I make now as, say, a personal trainer. Maybe one day. Heh.
I think you need to find the right company. I think our software is handled by IBM/Lenovo. I'm not 100% sure, but they just moved our call people to a web-based "tracking/benefits/claims" system....which I can't stand, but the call people give it rave reviews. I wish they'd just streamline everything into the same system (call notes, benefits, claim info, claim processing, contracts, etc)....but that's a pipe dream.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Josh.0

Sometimes I do wonder if it's a matter of finding the right company, but at the same time I've worked for three, going 0-3. I can't help but wonder if it's an industry thing.

But, it could just be luck of the draw.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:

The other thing I've learned working in medical software is people bullshit ALL. THE. TIME. THe vast majority of people in this world act like they know more about subject matters than they really do, and try to pass off their bullshit as factual and important. It's a shame how many people in corporate America really just mislead others in order to make it through life feeling important.

Do you know coding to create your own version that you think would be better? Or have a friend that does that and you can give him your insight to how it should work? Maybe you could start your own software company for the industry and although it might take time, one day you could be wealthy. That would be something different to do in your life. Or is that too much work?
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I think you need to find the right company. I think our software is handled by IBM/Lenovo. I'm not 100% sure, but they just moved our call people to a web-based "tracking/benefits/claims" system....which I can't stand, but the call people give it rave reviews. I wish they'd just streamline everything into the same system (call notes, benefits, claim info, claim processing, contracts, etc)....but that's a pipe dream.

I should also mention, what you're saying is the exact sort of complaint I hear all the time. So many companies half-bake their software, and rush to release it, which often results in a product that does, say, 30% of what a Cardiologist, for example, would need it to do. That forces the Cardiologist to have to log into five different applications covering the other 70% of the workflow.

No one wants to develop a comprehensive product, they just want to develop a product that does just enough to be a draw, but not enough to actually help or solve workflow issues many clinicians face.

Then, the stress those workflow gaps cause fall directly on the people implementing the products (which is what I do).

Basically, this is the lifecycle of a medical software sale/implementation:

1) Salesperson oversells functionality, often times flat out selling something that hasn't even been spec'd or developed yet.

2) They dump the customer, with expectations through the roof, on Implementation. Implementation has to work to now fill all the gaps caused by the oversell, leaving the customer pissed that they were duped from the beginning. Of course, because Sales is now out of the picture, all of the frustration is directed at Implementation, as well as the task of problem solving each of these impossible workflow gaps.

3) When Implementation finally "finishes," they transition a customer to Support. Support inevitably fails to fully support/understand any of the workflow "workarounds" created in Implementation (because of Sales), and constantly pushes customer issues back to Implementation, meaning Implementation never fully, 100% transitions the customer as they continue to take on new customers.

4) Implementation management largely ducks and hides throughout most of these scenarios, leaving their employees to figure it all out.

Wash and repeat.

This is just one scenario. Then there's the scenario where MANAGEMENT over-promises to the customer, leading to massively fragmented, tedious, and awful customer installations in Implementation.

The corporate world is awful.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #9
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teamStefan View Post
Do you know coding to create your own version that you think would be better? Or have a friend that does that and you can give him your insight to how it should work? Maybe you could start your own software company for the industry and although it might take time, one day you could be wealthy. That would be something different to do in your life. Or is that too much work?
I've thought about something like that, but you need money to make money, and I'm currently dealing with all of this shit to get to the point where I can look into self-employment (likely consulting).
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
I should also mention, what you're saying is the exact sort of complaint I hear all the time. So many companies half-bake their software, and rush to release it, which often results in a product that does, say, 30% of what a Cardiologist, for example, would need it to do. That forces the Cardiologist to have to log into five different applications covering the other 70% of the workflow.

No one wants to develop a comprehensive product, they just want to develop a product that does just enough to be a draw, but not enough to actually help or solve workflow issues many clinicians face.

Then, the stress those workflow gaps cause fall directly on the people implementing the products (which is what I do).

Basically, this is the lifecycle of a medical software sale/implementation:

1) Salesperson oversells functionality, often times flat out selling something that hasn't even been spec'd or developed yet.

2) They dump the customer, with expectations through the roof, on Implementation. Implementation has to work to now fill all the gaps caused by the oversell, leaving the customer pissed that they were duped from the beginning. Of course, because Sales is now out of the picture, all of the frustration is directed at Implementation, as well as the task of problem solving each of these impossible workflow gaps.

3) When Implementation finally "finishes," they transition a customer to Support. Support inevitably fails to fully support/understand any of the workflow "workarounds" created in Implementation (because of Sales), and constantly pushes customer issues back to Implementation, meaning Implementation never fully, 100% transitions the customer as they continue to take on new customers.

4) Implementation management largely ducks and hides throughout most of these scenarios, leaving their employees to figure it all out.

Wash and repeat.

This is just one scenario. Then there's the scenario where MANAGEMENT over-promises to the customer, leading to massively fragmented, tedious, and awful customer installations in Implementation.

The corporate world is awful.
Quote:
I've thought about something like that, but you need money to make money, and I'm currently dealing with all of this shit to get to the point where I can look into self-employment (likely consulting).
ah, sounds like you really do need to do consulting.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Josh.0

The one saving grace when it comes to working in my industry is all of the lessons you learn are worth big bucks to companies who purchase these products, which is why people who do consulting in my field make huge dollars.

And the good thing about being a self-employed consultant is you only deliver on what you promise. And when the software sucks, you put the onus back on the company to figure it out (which is what I deal with right now by working on the company side).
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Mitch

I don't love performing my actual job (run a home health care company), but I love the fact that I've reached a point where I'm doing well financially and don't have to work quite as hard anymore. So, I went with the middle option.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Josh.0

Home Health? No shit...
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
Mitch

Yup... I just replied to your PM, so I'll leave boring details out of this thread
Old 04-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

sounds like we have the health care market cornered.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I work in the pharmaceutical industry as a consulting/market research analyst. Loving it so far.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #17
mja271

I work in IT for a major health insurance company and love my job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Tomacco

Overall I like my job. But there are days it can be a royal pain in the ass (thank you, clients), and the hours can be brutally long at times.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #19
mja271

Anxiously awaiting Spence to give his thoughts
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #20
Huff
The Original Tracklist

I love my job, but my boss is a dick (self-employed)

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc