These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #3081
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post
Can someone post what he's been posting, sorry I can't see it.
markbatsonrocks

If you need to know what was the process of preparing for @davematthewsband 2018 it was simply alphabetical. ABCDE-Alagia, Batson, Cavallo, Dave, Evans. A completed collection of congruous(x) recordings spanning many years. Definitively the best of what’s around....past, present and future with the band performing in full ferocity and passionate emotion. I’m blown away!!! #davematthewsband #davematthews #carterbeauford #stefanlessard #timreynolds #rashawnross #Jeff coffin #boydtinsley #butchtaylor #nosamples #noprogramming #carterbeaufordisaGod #legends #davematthewsmakesyoucry #somuchemotion I have glorious b-sides and exclusive videos that I will make arrangements with management for a #goldenticket day for a crew of dedicated fans! This is NOT a hip-hop based collaboration like Stand Up. It is the band stretching, playing, performing, growing and carving out new territory. #jam I hope you guys Iove it!!! Thank you for supporting the greatest American band!!!! Powered by @festastic
Old 04-17-2018, 11:00 AM   #3082
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
What you consider "creating", I consider lazy producing. Dave playing a single riff and Mark Batson going "that's a song!" and then looping something does not make it Hip-Hop influenced. I mean if you want to water down what Hip-Hop is and say "hey looping is hip-hop!" then sure, by all means, keep looking at Stand Up as hip-hop influenced. But in reality that's like that saying anything Bela was on is Bluegrass influenced...sounds silly right? Because it is.

And you can have an influence and not go full-throttle with a genre. Christ...how many times have seen/heard Beck do it for instance?

There were 2 examples of a looped Drum, and let's be honest....stuff gets looped all the time in every genre of recording. Even Lillywhite has said he looped some things on BTCS. Looping is not a distinctive recording tactic solely used for Hip-Hop studio recordings. Looping has been around before Hip-Hop.
I feel like this stuff counts as hip hop influenced, I guess that is just my opinion.

One thing I think we can all agree on, is that they failed.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #3083
mja271

I just popped on a few SU tracks on Spotify just to refresh myself on what they actually sound like since it's been so long. Sometimes your brain tells you something is worse than it actually was in reality. This is not one of those instances. Just terrible all around. The production, the songwriting, Dave's vocals. Woof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #3084
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
I just popped on a few SU tracks on Spotify just to refresh myself on what they actually sound like since it's been so long. Sometimes your brain tells you something is worse than it actually was in reality. This is not one of those instances. Just terrible all around. The production, the songwriting, Dave's vocals. Woof.
I did the same a few weeks ago. The album was really bad and has somehow gotten even worse with time. I remember buying it when I was in college, popping it in my CD player super excited to hear it on a beautiful spring day in Vermont, and my friend and I being like “whaaaat the fuck is this?”
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #3085
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
The violin plucking in American Baby is a looped sample of Boyd playing.
Many of the drum tracks on the album are looped samples of Carter playing.

There is probably more as well.
There are tons of samples and sample loops. How is this even a question?
- the guitar riff on Dreamgirl
- the claps on SU and ODH
- the gunfire on ABI
- the mandolin on EBWU
- the drums on EBWU
- the guitar riff on Bayou
- the drums on Bayou
- the guitar on stolen Away
- the drums on Stolen Away
- the beats on YMDT

I’ll stop. The whole friggin album is samples and loops. This is what he means by hip-hop. And it’s not that other genres don’t do that, and that DMB has never done it. It’s that this album was predominantly done that way. He took a hip-hop approach to composing the album - turning programmed beats and cut up pieces into songs. The list of live playing would be shorter and easier to list than all the shit that’s looped.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #3086
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
markbatsonrocks

If you need to know what was the process of preparing for @davematthewsband 2018 it was simply alphabetical. ABCDE-Alagia, Batson, Cavallo, Dave, Evans. A completed collection of congruous(x) recordings spanning many years. Definitively the best of what’s around....past, present and future with the band performing in full ferocity and passionate emotion. I’m blown away!!! #davematthewsband #davematthews #carterbeauford #stefanlessard #timreynolds #rashawnross #Jeff coffin #boydtinsley #butchtaylor #nosamples #noprogramming #carterbeaufordisaGod #legends #davematthewsmakesyoucry #somuchemotion I have glorious b-sides and exclusive videos that I will make arrangements with management for a #goldenticket day for a crew of dedicated fans! This is NOT a hip-hop based collaboration like Stand Up. It is the band stretching, playing, performing, growing and carving out new territory. #jam I hope you guys Iove it!!! Thank you for supporting the greatest American band!!!! Powered by @festastic
Thank you
Old 04-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #3087
CRUSHsoccer15

Quote:
It's so poorly done and it's actually gotten worse with time. Especially compared to Everyday, which is a well produced, professional executed album that has gotten better with age.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #3088
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
It's so poorly done and it's actually gotten worse with time. Especially compared to Everyday, which is a well produced, professional executed album that has gotten better with age.
Stand Up is like banging a 4. Sometimes you just have to do and get it out of your system so that better things will come from it?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #3089
morgadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
markbatsonrocks

I'd love a Lost Dogs type of album.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #3090
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgadt View Post
I just hope they're not all dogs.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #3091
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Yeah, they didn’t just fail to make an album that effectively uses hip hop influences, they failed to make an album that sounds like it was influenced by any modern production or songwriting norms. It’s amazing that nobody at any level of that process listened to it and raised concerns about how bad it sounds.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #3092
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
There are tons of samples and sample loops. How is this even a question?
- the guitar riff on Dreamgirl
- the claps on SU and ODH
- the gunfire on ABI
- the mandolin on EBWU
- the drums on EBWU
- the guitar riff on Bayou
- the drums on Bayou
- the guitar on stolen Away
- the drums on Stolen Away
- the beats on YMDT

I’ll stop. The whole friggin album is samples and loops. This is what he means by hip-hop. And it’s not that other genres don’t do that, and that DMB has never done it. It’s that this album was predominantly done that way. He took a hip-hop approach to composing the album - turning programmed beats and cut up pieces into songs. The list of live playing would be shorter and easier to list than all the shit that’s looped.
So now you've resorted to just guessing on what's looped on the album to prove a "hip-hop influence"? You have no idea what's looped and what's not. Again...looping is not a solely hip-hop recording tool...a lot of bands and artists loop instruments or stems of music created. If you had no idea who produced Stand Up and you listened to the album...you would never in a million years go "hey...this is heavily hip-hop influenced".

What you see as hip-hop influence, I see as lazy recording. I don't know how much looping was done on the album and neither do you so let's stop acting like that's the hip-hop approach that signifies an entire genre of music.

Also, did Batson sample beats? No, Carter played them. Where there any real samples on the album like vocals that were distorted or synthed and then used in a chorus? No. Were there any vocal influences or lyrical influences? No. Were there other rhythmic sounds used to accompany specific beats or used to mark drops in beats? No. And now we can come to looping...which you basically claim the whole album is looped which you honestly have no idea. I'm willing to bet the same amount of looping on the drums came out of Stand Up than on any other DMB album. Carter wasn't playing for 2 days and then left the studio and Mark just looped it all. Even Stefan said that one of the long days of recording Carter just kept playing and playing and playing after the song had ended and then that's when Mark jumped on the piano for the "Mark and Carter Jam". So the guy was there the whole time, playing those songs. You see it as looped, I see it as uninspired playing, front to back, with a few loops in like 2 songs.

Batson has worked with some amazing Hip-Hop artists over the years but if DMB truly wanted a Hip-Hop influence that actually mattered, they should have kept looking....he just couldn't mesh well enough with DMB's creative process to make that happen in a meaningful way.

I'll say this again because I think this is important...If you had no idea who produced Stand Up and listened to it for the first time...you would never say it was Hip-Hop influenced. Maybe YOU would because you're guessing on everything that's looped and that means hip-hop to you.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:49 AM   #3093
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgadt View Post
I could deal with a disc of new material and a disc of back catalog clearing. I’m trying to imagine how they’d make a coherent record out of a mix of recordings dating back over a decade, and I just can’t do it.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #3094
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.

this thing sounds like it could be a real frankenstein's monster
Old 04-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #3095
NiCK (Crush)

You guys all have slammed Stand Up for Batson's hip hop style for the past 12 years and then the second he says it's not hip hop style like Stand Up you all say he's crazy for calling it a hip hop album.

All he means is the approach wasn't the same at all. Obviously it's not a straight forward hip hop album. We never meant it was either when we bitched about him being a hip hop producer and the Stand Up album going "straight to the clubs!".

I know you all love to trash this guy, but that Instagram post is nothing but positivity. He also made a point to shut Stand Up haters up.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #3096
NiCK (Crush)

Mark Batson knows that Stand Up isn't a hip hop album.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #3097
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Nick...stop trying to be above the fray.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #3098
NiCK (Crush)

I bet the single comes out Friday. I'm getting a strong reading on my P.K.E. Meter.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #3099
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.

i'd guess single / album info on the first day of the tour
Old 04-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #3100
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Nick...stop trying to be above the fray.
There have been hundreds of posts from us over the last decade with the words "Batson", "Stand Up" and "hip-hop" all in the same sentence.

Now Batson says "this album will not be hip-hop style like Stand Up"

And everyone is mad and picking his choice of words apart?

Dumb.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc