These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #3061
Tomacco

Batson does not concern me anymore. “No samples” and “no programming” is all I needed to hear.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #3062
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Come on guys, he knows what hip hop is. He has graciously let us know via his comments that
A) It was DMB that wanted a hip hop influenced album when they did Stand Up, not necessarily him.
B) They learned their lesson, and aren't doing that this time around.
Mark Batson gave no hip-hop influence to DMB for Stand Up. Show me one instance on that album that even hints at Hip-Hop.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #3063
CRUSHsoccer15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Mark Batson gave no hip-hop influence to DMB for Stand Up. Show me one instance on that album that even hints at Hip-Hop.
This.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #3064
Tomacco

By hip-hop, I would say using preprogrammed beats and samples is what he’s referring to, which was like 80% of SU.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #3065
mattinmass
heady

Who is evans?
Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #3066
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I canít help but still wonder what the reason is for the band going back to use older recordings is. Iím not saying itís bad, in fact itís potentially exciting news, but whatís the reasoning behind it?
Especially since it seems no Lillywhite outtakes are being reconsidered.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #3067
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
Who is evans?
DMBís chief sound engineer.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:26 AM   #3068
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
Who is evans?
Rob Evans. Per Batson

markbatsonrocks@kevbarnyc Rob Evans manages Haunted Hollie and is the Dave Matthews Band chief engineer. He is a musical and engineering genius with the highest level of proficiency in recording the band.

Also markbatsonrocks @patrick_brewer yes indeed. Stand Up launched a new era of creativity for the band and is one of the things I am most proud of with the album. The hip hop break down on Die Trying is the biznesss!!!
Old 04-17-2018, 10:27 AM   #3069
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
By hip-hop, I would say using preprogrammed beats and samples is what heís referring to, which was like 80% of SU.
What samples, other than gun fire? Also there were like two songs that had distinctive programmed beats that didn't give any vibe of hip-hop influence. I think people need to stop saying that album was hip-hop influenced because it wasn't. DMB may have WANTED a Hip-Hop influence but they chose the wrong guy for that job if that were the case.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #3070
mja271

I've mentioned this a few times over the years but one of my favorite twitter interactions ever was when Lillywhite went to the Hartford shows in 2012 somebody asked what his favorite song was. He said he really loved YMDT and couldn't wait to check out the studio version. Somebody sent it to him and he replied along the lines of "is that the same song?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #3071
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
I've mentioned this a few times over the years but one of my favorite twitter interactions ever was when Lillywhite went to the Hartford shows in 2012 somebody asked what his favorite song was. He said he really loved YMDT and couldn't wait to check out the studio version. Somebody sent it to him and he replied along the lines of "is that the same song?"
Wait...Steve couldn't hear the hip-hop influence in the studio version? lol
Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #3072
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
Not to get all bent out of shape, but at some point it's a disservice/insulting to your fan base and the people that have spend a shit ton of money on you for all these years.

Especially when they have no real reason to be so secretive.
I agree. At this point there isnít really a good reason that can be given for letting this much time pass since the announcement without anything official. The only acceptable reason would be if theyíre doing an unannounced album drop, and I donít think anybody expects that to happen.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #3073
blumathu

Quote:
The way they created the songs by creating samples and loops, and building from there is absolutely influenced by hip hop.

Dave was never going to write lyrics that are hip hop influenced. He was never going to straight up rap and they were never going to put a DJ on the stage. I think it's clear they weren't going for that at any point. That doesn't mean Mark isn't accurate when he said they wanted some hip hop influence by hiring him as a producer.

Mark even said in a comment on today's instagram post that they didn't attempt to make an obviously hip hop influenced album.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #3074
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I canít imagine that even with DMB basically asleep at the wheel when it comes to getting any info out lately that theyíd allow someone associated with the band to disseminate that much bad info without saying anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
Not to get all bent out of shape, but at some point it's a disservice/insulting to your fan base and the people that have spend a shit ton of money on you for all these years.

Especially when they have no real reason to be so secretive.
It's not only that, but it's the fact that we have someone involved and releasing info from one of the two albums they fucked up on...it's like a slap in the face.... Imagine Ballard coming back and doing this....this band annoys the hell out me with their decision making. Sigh......this is not a way to "drum up" press, this is just fucking annoying.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #3075
blumathu

Quote:
What samples, other than gun fire? Also there were like two songs that had distinctive programmed beats that didn't give any vibe of hip-hop influence. I think people need to stop saying that album was hip-hop influenced because it wasn't. DMB may have WANTED a Hip-Hop influence but they chose the wrong guy for that job if that were the case.
The violin plucking in American Baby is a looped sample of Boyd playing.
Many of the drum tracks on the album are looped samples of Carter playing.

There is probably more as well.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #3076
mja271

They announced the tour and a new album 3 months ago yesterday and still nothing. I can't think of an instance of a band I follow outwardly publicizing that they are releasing a new album and then waiting that long before giving any information on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #3077
JoeyB
this maze

Lookong at the hashtags on the post...looks like boyd will be on the album..
Old 04-17-2018, 10:47 AM   #3078
gweeps

I had no doubt of it.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #3079
Fan#41

Quote:
The way they created the songs by creating samples and loops, and building from there is absolutely influenced by hip hop.

Dave was never going to write lyrics that are hip hop influenced. He was never going to straight up rap and they were never going to put a DJ on the stage. I think it's clear they weren't going for that at any point. That doesn't mean Mark isn't accurate when he said they wanted some hip hop influence by hiring him as a producer.

Mark even said in a comment on today's instagram post that they didn't attempt to make an obviously hip hop influenced album.
What you consider "creating", I consider lazy producing. Dave playing a single riff and Mark Batson going "that's a song!" and then looping something does not make it Hip-Hop influenced. I mean if you want to water down what Hip-Hop is and say "hey looping is hip-hop!" then sure, by all means, keep looking at Stand Up as hip-hop influenced. But in reality that's like that saying anything Bela was on is Bluegrass influenced...sounds silly right? Because it is.

And you can have an influence and not go full-throttle with a genre. Christ...how many times have seen/heard Beck do it for instance?

Quote:
The violin plucking in American Baby is a looped sample of Boyd playing.
Many of the drum tracks on the album are looped samples of Carter playing.

There is probably more as well.
There were 2 examples of a looped Drum, and let's be honest....stuff gets looped all the time in every genre of recording. Even Lillywhite has said he looped some things on BTCS. Looping is not a distinctive recording tactic solely used for Hip-Hop studio recordings. Looping has been around before Hip-Hop.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #3080
wiebrod

Can someone post what he's been posting, sorry I can't see it.
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc