These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #41
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 19,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I think it's really good, question is... is it excellent?
This is very good to hear. I always trust your opinion on show performances.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #42
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 23,947
I’m not as well-versed on all the best Fall 98 shows as others here. I loved the DMBLive one. And this one has Tim and Béla. So I’m excited for it. Setlist differs from Chicago and that DMBLive one too.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #43
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 19,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I’m not as well-versed on all the best Fall 98 shows as others here. I loved the DMBLive one. And this one has Tim and Béla. So I’m excited for it. Setlist differs from Chicago and that DMBLive one too.
No Béla, just Tim on this show.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:52 PM   #44
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
No Béla, just Tim on this show.
Weird, I could’ve sworn when I was looking on the almanac earlier Béla was listed on a bunch of songs. But checking again you’re correct.

EDIT: oh wow, I was looking at 12/2/98 this whole time. Very different story. Not nearly as excited now.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:00 PM   #45
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 19,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Weird, I could’ve sworn when I was looking on the almanac earlier Béla was listed on a bunch of songs. But checking again you’re correct.

EDIT: oh wow, I was looking at 12/2/98 this whole time. Very different story. Not nearly as excited now.
12.2.98 is a really cool and incredibly underrated show from that tour . It's probably my favorite "Typical Situation" to be honest and that "Two Step" was fire as well.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:03 PM   #46
greppson
Hmm...
 
greppson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,560
Someday, just someday, I want a clean copy of my first show. 11.16.98. Nothing that amazing, just want to hear it with some clarity.
__________________
Jason
greppson.net

greppson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:30 PM   #47
willndmb
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 5,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
I'm down. Love fall 98! Short set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Still almost a 3 hour show. I’ll always be down with a fall 98 show.
Yeah back when they “jammed” and not these 4 min songs
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:24 PM   #48
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 27,253
Looking at these Fall 1998 sets. Holy shit. Not a crap song to be seen - well, maybe True Reflections. And some of these encores are killer: 12/14's Christmas Song/Crash into Me?
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #49
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 27,253
I'm surprised they still haven't released 12/7/98.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:44 AM   #50
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
An 11 song main set with two short songs in the encore played in front of 5,000 people in the PNW? In Fall, 1998? That’s still a pretty solid release.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #51
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinoyed
Posts: 18,804
Incredible pick, I love this show. Minarets is the clear highlight, Dave is extremely good in the outro. Roi kills Seek Up and Jimi. The Crush outro is fairly unique. Tim has a beautiful solo on IBYU. Overall, very pleased with this pick.
__________________
Currently listening to:
2/16/96, Pepin Gymnasium, Middlebury, VT
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #52
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 23,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by greppson View Post
Someday, just someday, I want a clean copy of my first show. 11.16.98. Nothing that amazing, just want to hear it with some clarity.
Mine too! Singles Night in Montreal.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:55 AM   #53
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,163
Interesting choice, definitely a show we just don't really need. Could be much much worse, so I'm not complaining, but yeah it's very random and just kind of redundant.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #54
batleon
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA by way of RI
Posts: 15,463
I might be the dissenting voice here. We have 4 Fall '98 releases already that I purchased and when I want to listen to Fall '98 I know this would be my 5th choice out of 5. Why would I spend money on this? Yes, I want more Fall '98 but this isn't a good choice.

The only thing that stands out with me for this is Minarets. If I hear the mix is out of this world I might change my mind.

There are dozens of lists filled with dozens of shows people want released. This shouldn't be hard.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
LET THE ALMANAC PICK SONGS / LIVE TRAX.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #55
DMBCLSTJ
 
DMBCLSTJ's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
I might be the dissenting voice here. We have 4 Fall '98 releases already that I purchased and when I want to listen to Fall '98 I know this would be my 5th choice out of 5. Why would I spend money on this? Yes, I want more Fall '98 but this isn't a good choice.

The only thing that stands out with me for this is Minarets. If I hear the mix is out of this world I might change my mind.

There are dozens of lists filled with dozens of shows people want released. This shouldn't be hard.
For me, its about me recognizing that these are the types of releases we need and crave. I will support this release in an effort to get more releases from this era in the future.
__________________
Originally Posted by Jayes
If he just lays down two full elbow chords loudly over the entirety of That Girl Is You, he wins the band.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #56
batleon
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA by way of RI
Posts: 15,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
For me, its about me recognizing that these are the types of releases we need and crave. I will support this release in an effort to get more releases from this era in the future.
I hear that. And I've voted with my wallet in the past. I fully acknowledge I've gone all "cranky old man" with releases at this point. We have so many now, it takes something really good to crack me now. I'm pretty sure this ain't it.

Do we expect one more of these before year's end? This could be the first year in a very long time when I don't buy at least one live release.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
LET THE ALMANAC PICK SONGS / LIVE TRAX.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #57
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
For me, its about me recognizing that these are the types of releases we need and crave. I will support this release in an effort to get more releases from this era in the future.
I think management/whoever handles this is pretty well aware of what we want and the eras we strive to hear. There's also been input from dmbalmanac over the years.

My guess is that they don't want to blow the load and put out everything we want and then have nothing exciting to release years down the line..10, 15, 20 years from now. Keeping some of these epic shows (12/3/98, 12/7/98, 05/25/99 etc) in the vault is most likely just a business move.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #58
Vorony
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think management/whoever handles this is pretty well aware of what we want and the eras we strive to hear. There's also been input from dmbalmanac over the years.

My guess is that they don't want to blow the load and put out everything we want and then have nothing exciting to release years down the line..10, 15, 20 years from now. Keeping some of these epic shows (12/3/98, 12/7/98, 05/25/99 etc) in the vault is most likely just a business move.
It’s kind of a crap shoot though, and a risky gamble on their part if that’s truly their strategy here. Will the fanbase really be interested in scooping up that stuff 10, 15, 20 years from now? The band will likely be no more at that point, outside of Dave probably still doing things here and there. But most of us hardcores will be pushing 60 by that point. Will there really be an obsessive interest to get this stuff then?

If there was ever a year to really unleash the vault, this was it. And they blew it big time with these LT’s.
Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #59
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 5,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorony View Post
It’s kind of a crap shoot though, and a risky gamble on their part if that’s truly their strategy here. Will the fanbase really be interested in scooping up that stuff 10, 15, 20 years from now? The band will likely be no more at that point, outside of Dave probably still doing things here and there. But most of us hardcores will be pushing 60 by that point. Will there really be an obsessive interest to get this stuff then?

If there was ever a year to really unleash the vault, this was it. And they blew it big time with these LT’s.
This was going to be my point. I dont think I'll be as interested in dropping big bucks on the band in 10 years. I definitely am less interested now than I was 10 years ago but i do have more disposable income. I bet in 10 years my dmb fandom will be much more of a nostalgia type thing than anything.

I almost think NOW is the time for them to strike, there's still interest in the band but they arent at their peak popularity.
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #60
FERRALL
I'm just trying to party.
 
FERRALL's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,632
Can't believe we are getting a Fall 98 show and people are finding something to complain about. Without being able to refer to a 'rarity index' (I know I love DMBAlmanac and refer to it often), you would have no complaints. This is a good release because its from Fall 98. A tour of the band at its absolute peak. Them purely being without any guests at all makes this worth releasing.

Can't believe the pessimism some times.
FERRALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.05282 seconds with 16 queries