These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #5241
Josh.0

ďWideĒ distribution was always going to come later than the initial doses to protect healthcare providers, old people, fat people, and people with severe comorbidities. The first several million doses are going to go to the high risk, which only makes sense.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

BUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #5242
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
ďWideĒ distribution was always going to come later than the initial doses to protect healthcare providers, old people, fat people, and people with severe comorbidities. The first several million doses are going to go to the high risk, which only makes sense.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #5243
jeff1818

Depends on how efficient they are with distibution. I could see the general public getting vaccinated late Q1. As a start.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #5244
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
Depends on how efficient they are with distibution. I could see the general public getting vaccinated late Q1. As a start.
I believe the tricky part is coordinating the second dose of the vaccine. It is something like a month later, and has to be made by the same manufacturer. Also some of them have to be kept at insanely cold temperatures.

I agree with Josh, though. They always said that this would be the hasoc timeframe.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:08 PM   #5245
Dubs

Quote:
“Wide” distribution was always going to come later than the initial doses to protect healthcare providers, old people, fat people, and people with severe comorbidities. The first several million doses are going to go to the high risk, which only makes sense.
Trump actually said in a press conference one of the first populations besides health care and the most vulnerable would be poor African American cities/population, at no cost.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #5246
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
Trump actually said in a press conference one of the first populations besides health care and the most vulnerable would be poor African American cities/population, at no cost.
Well, it’s no cost for every american and I’ve read about five different articles and it’s a well known fact that this disease affects poor (due to more cramped living conditions) and African Americans (and Hispanics) at a far greater (death) rate. So they should have access to it early, no?

Old 09-16-2020, 09:46 PM   #5247
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Well, itís no cost for every american and Iíve read about five different articles and itís a well known fact that this disease affects poor (due to more cramped living conditions) and African Americans (and Hispanics) at a far greater (death) rate. So they should have access to it early, no?
As long as itís safe, I donít disagree. However, with it being rushed hope their not going to be used like Russia tested theirs on their military.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #5248
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Well, itís no cost for every american and Iíve read about five different articles and itís a well known fact that this disease affects poor (due to more cramped living conditions) and African Americans (and Hispanics) at a far greater (death) rate. So they should have access to it early, no?
Many diseases affect the poor with more regularity. Poverty has a direct correlation with bad outcomes.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:11 PM   #5249
jeff1818

[Only registered users can see links.]

This is guy is certifiably insane:
"The vaccine is going to have tremendous power. It's going to be extremely strong. It's going to be extremely successful. We're not going to have a problem," Trump said.

"And the mask may help. And I hope it helps. I think it probably does. But again, the mask is a mixed bag. There are some people, professionals ... that don't like the masks because of the touchiness."

Can't someone just cough on him and end it now?
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:13 PM   #5250
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Many diseases affect the poor with more regularity. Poverty has a direct correlation with bad outcomes.
This is why MFA could fix so many issues, not just financially.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #5251
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
[Only registered users can see links.]

This is guy is certifiably insane:
"The vaccine is going to have tremendous power. It's going to be extremely strong. It's going to be extremely successful. We're not going to have a problem," Trump said.

"And the mask may help. And I hope it helps. I think it probably does. But again, the mask is a mixed bag. There are some people, professionals ... that don't like the masks because of the touchiness."

Can't someone just cough on him and end it now?
He's not wrong here. He's obviously referring to cloth face coverings, and how wearing a mask usually encourages people to touch their face more.

The other stuff is just his usual overselling nonsense.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #5252
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
He's not wrong here. He's obviously referring to cloth face coverings, and how wearing a mask usually encourages people to touch their face more.

The other stuff is just his usual overselling nonsense.
Masks are not a mixed bag. Worn correctly, they work. Seriously taking up for him?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:30 PM   #5253
Dubs

It isn’t a hard concept. Wear a mask, only go out if it’s essential and don’t be talking so much you gotta fig-it with your mask. If you have to talk a lot for your job; A waiter, add a face shield and carry hand sanitizer.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #5254
gweeps
homesick android

Washing your hands frequently isn't going to prevent you from getting this virus.

Best not be wearing a face shield without added face protection.

Not every mask is created equal. Your protection varies depending on the type. So, "works" is relative.

I'm not "taking up for" anybody.

Have people forgot what mitigation means?
Old 09-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #5255
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
Masks are not a mixed bag. Worn correctly, they work. Seriously taking up for him?
If they work why do healthcare workers dealing with Covid wear a full hazmat suit and all this PPE? Clearly all they need is this little cloth on their mouth and they're safe, right? Droplets can still get through or around most of these masks, and that's if you are wearing a decent one and wearing it properly.

I for one don't really think a mask actually helps that much. and I think it's defintiley more of a psychological thing to make people feel safe, and it's also a form of control.....staying away from people is the only true solution, and you don't need a mask if you do that.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #5256
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
If they work why do healthcare workers dealing with Covid wear a full hazmat suit and all this PPE? Clearly all they need is this little cloth on their mouth and they're safe, right? Droplets can still get through or around most of these masks, and that's if you are wearing a decent one and wearing it properly.

I for one don't really think a mask actually helps that much. and I think it's defintiley more of a psychological thing to make people feel safe, and it's also a form of control.....staying away from people is the only true solution, and you don't need a mask if you do that.
Do you find yourself swabbing the nostrils of people you know are infected with COVID all day? The virus can enter through your eyes as well as mouth and nose. That is why they wear full face shields in a lot of instances. Especially because the patients they are treating often do not have masks on. However, I have had a lot of experience visiting Dr’s this summer (not having covid symptoms) and almost with out exception, they only wear masks.

This is barely worth responding to because it is so idiotic, but look at the numbers. You’re bitching about being asked to wear a mask by saying, “why aren’t they making me wear a hazmat suit too if medical professionals do? Fucking libs.” A very small portion of the general public has this disease. Masks are cheap and easy to get. They are the most effective way to stop the virus from spreading p>p. It is the smallest of an inconvenience and they are proven to work. Why wouldn’t you wear one?

What the fuck do you mean form of control? You think there is some mask fetishist at a high level of the cdc furiously jerking off as he looks out his window and sees all the masked faces. They locked you in your house for a month and forced businesses to close. There’s your form of control. A mask? Wearing a mask is a courteous thing to do for your fellow man. ANY person with half a brain understands this and wears the fucking mask.

NO ONE is asking you to wear a mask if you aren’t around people.

Old 09-17-2020, 07:55 AM   #5257
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post

How so?
Old 09-17-2020, 09:33 AM   #5258
Josh.0

Quote:
Do you find yourself swabbing the nostrils of people you know are infected with COVID all day? The virus can enter through your eyes as well as mouth and nose. That is why they wear full face shields in a lot of instances. Especially because the patients they are treating often do not have masks on. However, I have had a lot of experience visiting Dr’s this summer (not having covid symptoms) and almost with out exception, they only wear masks.

This is barely worth responding to because it is so idiotic, but look at the numbers. You’re bitching about being asked to wear a mask by saying, “why aren’t they making me wear a hazmat suit too if medical professionals do? Fucking libs.” A very small portion of the general public has this disease. Masks are cheap and easy to get. They are the most effective way to stop the virus from spreading p>p. It is the smallest of an inconvenience and they are proven to work. Why wouldn’t you wear one?

What the fuck do you mean form of control? You think there is some mask fetishist at a high level of the cdc furiously jerking off as he looks out his window and sees all the masked faces. They locked you in your house for a month and forced businesses to close. There’s your form of control. A mask? Wearing a mask is a courteous thing to do for your fellow man. ANY person with half a brain understands this and wears the fucking mask.

NO ONE is asking you to wear a mask if you aren’t around people.
I think the truth is masks help but as some others have insinuated they’re probably more of a psychological boost than anything. But there’s no question they do have some preventative effect; just how preventative is a topic for another debate.

With that said, if wearing a tiny cloth over my face when I’m in line buying tacos has a .0000001% effect on keeping people safer, I’m okay with it. When I visited Japan last year I was actually very appreciative of how proactive people were wearing masks when they were sick or showing any symptoms of being sick.

Do I think it should be part of everyday life - post COVID-19 - if we’re not showing symptoms of anything? No way. But if we develop a new habit of masking when we’re showing symptoms of other illnesses in the future, that’s not a bad thing at all. Fewer colds, less flu spread - that’d be nice long term.

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:
Without the sort of shutdown that we're seeing now, 80% of people would be infected and 4 million people would die within three months.

With "mitigation" strategies in place (all symptomatic cases in the US in isolation. Families of those cases quarantined. All Americans over 70 social distancing) 2 million people die in the next 3 months.

If we ever relax the suppression levels back to "mitigation" policies, we go right back to 2 million people dead within three months.

This continues until there is a disseminated vaccine, currently 18 months from now.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #5259
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
I think the truth is masks help but as some others have insinuated theyíre probably more of a psychological boost than anything. But thereís no question they do have some preventative effect; just how preventative is a topic for another debate.

With that said, if wearing a tiny cloth over my face when Iím in line buying tacos has a .0000001% effect on keeping people safer, Iím okay with it. When I visited Japan last year I was actually very appreciative of how proactive people were wearing masks when they were sick or showing any symptoms of being sick.

Do I think it should be part of everyday life from now on? No way. But if we develop a new habit of masking when weíre showing symptoms of other illnesses in the future, thatís not a bad thing at all.
This is where I am at as well. I don't really know if my mask is doing a thing (although there are some peer reviewed studies that prove it can) but if it keeps the older and immune compromised safer in some way, i'll do it too.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #5260
Josh.0

Agreed. I’ve also noticed masks trick you into thinking there are more babes out there than there really are. Mask placebos ftw

Vol. 3

From this past spring:

Quote:

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc