These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2020, 03:48 PM   #61
NewAgedNerd

The Ross hate among the fan base is almost pathological for some.
NewAgedNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:34 PM   #62
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgedNerd View Post
The Ross hate among the fan base is almost pathological for some.
This is because he sucks in DMB. If he didn’t suck, no one would complain about him that much. That’s why you hardly ever see people complain about Carter or Jeff all that much. Sure Carter has gotten older, but he still delivers more often then not. Plus he has a legit excuse at 60 something after playing so hard for years, and I imagine it was pretty rough on his body. I never really seen someone complain about Jeff either. In Fact most people here want him to get more playing time. While he’s totally different than Roi, he’s still a fantastic sax player. He has the ability to play both faster, and more mellow and “jazzy” and more like Roi. See recent LLD, Bartender, Say Bye, Typical intro as an example. Whatever the style he plays it’s almost always tasteful.

Rashawn on the other hand is the total opposite. He hardly ever plays tastefully. Like literally it’s jarring a good portion of the time, and that’s not good. Plus his instrument is totally useless and unnecessary for the music of DMB. Basically Roi got bored and wanted to add some canned horns. It worked much better at the beginning because Roi kept him in check. It didn’t evolve very good though.

At the end of the day, I honestly think that hardcores here generally have a pretty spot on opinion about DMBs sound. Many people on this site spent countess hours listening to dmb in its prime 1995-2004 and know what to look for as far as sound goes.

On top of all that, he also does quite a bit of complaining about being on the road. So that also rubs people the wrong way. He wasn’t there from the beginning when they had to really bust their ass hard. He wasn’t there in 1992 playing year around traveling in that damn nasty ass red van night after night. He came in 2006 when this band was well established playing in big amphitheater’s mostly during the summer months. Basically he got very lucky at hopped on a gravy train. Therefore he has very little wiggle room to complain about the road and shit.

It’s pretty clear why the hardcores generally do not like his contribution to the band. Pretty well justifiable if you ask me. It’s not just out of thin air and said because everyone else says so.

Last edited by DIDO36; 08-25-2020 at 12:51 PM.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #63
NewAgedNerd

None of that justifies some of the awful shit people say about him on this board and others. I get disliking his sound in DMB, that's one thing, but the way some refer to him you'd swear they don't even think that he's a fucking human being.

Besides I don't see why people are so uptight about it anyway, the band still sounds fine, so many of the complaints about the band's current sound are just lost on me. It's not "worse" its just different. I've listened to countless hours of DMB from the 90's and early 2000s and also from years like 2009 and 2010 and to me it's all good. Sure there's a lot missing from the current sound that I may not prefer (most of this has more to do with things like improvisation and arrangements than the actual sound of the band) but I don't see why every goddamned thread has to turn into how much we hate the fucking trumpet player.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #64
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

I've never seen anything horrible on this forum about Ross. People hate his musical contributions but I haven't seen personal attacks or anything. I just don't think anything he does helps the sound, and I'll keep saying that until he either leaves or changes instruments.
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:20 AM   #65
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
This is because he sucks in DMB. If he didnít suck, no one would complain about him that much. Thatís why you hardly ever see people complain about Carter or Jeff all that much. Sure Carter has gotten older, but he still delivers more often then not. Plus he has a legit excuse at 60 something after playing so hard for years, and I imagine it was pretty rough on his body. I never really seen someone complain about Jeff either. In Fact most people here want him to get more playing time. While heís totally different then Roi, heís still a fantastic sax player. He has the ability to play both faster, and more mellow and ďjazzyĒ and more like Roi. See recent LLD, Bartender, Say Bye, Typical intro as an example. Whatever the style he plays itís almost always tasteful.

Rashawn on the other hand is the total opposite. He hardly ever plays tastefully. Like literally itís jarring a good portion of the time, and thatís not good. Plus his instrument is totally useless and unnecessary for the music of DMB. Basically Roi got bored and wanted to add some canned horns. It worked much better at the beginning because Roi kept him in check. It didnít evolve very good though.

At the end of the day, I honestly think that hardcores here generally have a pretty spot on opinion about DMBs sound. Many people on this site spent countess hours listening to dmb in its prime 1995-2004 and know what to look for as far as sound goes.

On top of all that, he also does quite a bit of complaining about being on the road. So that also rubs people the wrong way. He wasnít there from the beginning when they had to really bust their ass hard. He wasnít there in 1992 playing year around traveling in that damn nasty ass red van night after night. He came in 2006 when this band was well established playing in big amphitheaterís mostly during the summer months. Basically he got very lucky at hopped on a gravy train. Therefore he has very little wiggle room to complain about he road an shit.

Itís pretty clear why the hardcores generally do not like his contribution to the band. Pretty well justifiable if you ask me. Itís not just out of thin air and said because everyone else says so.
Very good summary.
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #66
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I've never seen anything horrible on this forum about Ross. People hate his musical contributions but I haven't seen personal attacks or anything. I just don't think anything he does helps the sound, and I'll keep saying that until he either leaves or changes instruments.
Literally 5 posts above yours.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #67
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
This is because he sucks in DMB. If he didnít suck, no one would complain about him that much. Thatís why you hardly ever see people complain about Carter or Jeff all that much. Sure Carter has gotten older, but he still delivers more often then not. Plus he has a legit excuse at 60 something after playing so hard for years, and I imagine it was pretty rough on his body. I never really seen someone complain about Jeff either. In Fact most people here want him to get more playing time. While heís totally different then Roi, heís still a fantastic sax player. He has the ability to play both faster, and more mellow and ďjazzyĒ and more like Roi. See recent LLD, Bartender, Say Bye, Typical intro as an example. Whatever the style he plays itís almost always tasteful.

Rashawn on the other hand is the total opposite. He hardly ever plays tastefully. Like literally itís jarring a good portion of the time, and thatís not good. Plus his instrument is totally useless and unnecessary for the music of DMB. Basically Roi got bored and wanted to add some canned horns. It worked much better at the beginning because Roi kept him in check. It didnít evolve very good though.

On top of all that, he also does quite a bit of complaining about being on the road. So that also rubs people the wrong way. He wasnít there from the beginning when they had to really bust their ass hard. He wasnít there in 1992 playing year around traveling in that damn nasty ass red van night after night. He came in 2006 when this band was well established playing in big amphitheaterís mostly during the summer months. Basically he got very lucky at hopped on a gravy train. Therefore he has very little wiggle room to complain about he road an shit.

Itís pretty clear why the hardcores generally do not like his contribution to the band. Pretty well justifiable if you ask me. Itís not just out of thin air and said because everyone else says so.
Excellent post
Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #68
dmb1981

Quote:
None of that justifies some of the awful shit people say about him on this board and others. I get disliking his sound in DMB, that's one thing, but the way some refer to him you'd swear they don't even think that he's a fucking human being.

Besides I don't see why people are so uptight about it anyway, the band still sounds fine, so many of the complaints about the band's current sound are just lost on me. It's not "worse" its just different. I've listened to countless hours of DMB from the 90's and early 2000s and also from years like 2009 and 2010 and to me it's all good. Sure there's a lot missing from the current sound that I may not prefer (most of this has more to do with things like improvisation and arrangements than the actual sound of the band) but I don't see why every goddamned thread has to turn into how much we hate the fucking trumpet player.
Not sure what you're getting at here man. People here, and for good reason, can't stand his addition to the band's sound. Most of us truly despise what he brings. Has nothing to do with him a person. It's a message board.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #69
NewAgedNerd

I certainly understand some of the criticisms and most are fairly valid, hell I'm not even a big fan of his playing about half the time anyway, but the Rashawn hate so often just turns into a circlejerk any time there's any discussion about any modern DMB show/topic. It's basically the same people giving the same opinions over and over in every thread, it's fucking boring.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:11 AM   #70
dmb1981

Quote:
I certainly understand some of the criticisms and most are fairly valid, hell I'm not even a big fan of his playing about half the time anyway, but the Rashawn hate so often just turns into a circlejerk any time there's any discussion about any modern DMB show/topic. It's basically the same people giving the same opinions over and over in every thread, it's fucking boring.
I agree, it's completely boring. Rashawn still sucks the utmost in DMB.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #71
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Not sure what you're getting at here man. People here, and for good reason, can't stand his addition to the band's sound. Most of us truly despise what he brings. Has nothing to do with him a person. It's a message board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
How angry do you think Ross is that he brought in Buddy, but went on to become the darling of the band moreso than Ross. Heís probably hates Buddy now
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #72
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

How is that anyone saying something that makes Ross less than human or whatever overdramatic bullshit is being suggested here? Most people don't like his playing and the idea there is that everyone in the band, including the guy he got involved, are better MUSICIANS than him.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:03 AM   #73
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
How is that anyone saying something that makes Ross less than human or whatever overdramatic bullshit is being suggested here? Most people don't like his playing and the idea there is that everyone in the band, including the guy he got involved, are better MUSICIANS than him.
Exactly. This is a dmb message board, and criticizing his style of playing in the band is valid.

As far as I'm concerned, his musicianship isn't really the issue IMO. Lets compare him to Boyd. I belive he is a much better technical musician than Boyd. Within the context of DMBs music Ross is just as cringeworthy though. While technically his high pitched notes are probably tough to play, it does't change the fact that it sounds cringeworthy to me. Just like how Boyd's skrees are also sound terrible to my ears. The difference with Boyd was that it wasn't on purpose, and you had your good nights and bad nights. With Ross its every damn night on classic songs. It gets old after a while and almost worse than Boyd because he does it on purpose. Part of that is the nature of the sound of his instrument, but its mostly due to his lack of feeling for the music, and his louder and faster playing style. Even if his musicianship is technically the charts great, it just does't fit.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #74
.Gary.

I just picture Ross as Huell from Breaking Bad lying on his back on a pile of money as he scrolls through these message boards, smiling a bit.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #75
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
I just picture Ross as Huell from Breaking Bad lying on his back on a pile of money as he scrolls through these message boards, smiling a bit.
Haha, yup. Loved Huell.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #76
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

watching this 2011 show and he's just squealing all over the place on the Seek Up intro. Horrible. Dave looks on in approval.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #77
sean52692
You failed this band

Thought of this thread when I heard that squeal on Seek Up. Ouch. I like that version on the release but hearing/seeing that squeal was painful.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:53 PM   #78
greykitkat36

Quote:
I haven't read anything that harsh about him personally on here beyond his playing, but he's just the easiest member to pick on because when he's bad, he sticks out like a sore thumb, and there aren't many contributions he's had that you'd be totally wow-ed by like Jeff or Tim. I think a lot of it is how he portrays himself on social media..he acts almost like he's complaining about playing in a millions of dollars successful rock band.

It's just hard to feel bad for someone who's going to basically at times ungrateful about it. I'm sure he's extremely grateful and honored to be in the band don't get me wrong, but sometimes they way he talks about it makes you wonder and scratch your head. It's like he's a spoiled teenager about it.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:53 AM   #79
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
the family ruined rashawn. 1. They made him bitter about dmb fans 2. They eat up the loud squeaky shit.

I don’t know. Rashawn used to seem a lot happier. He said a lot of the right things early on. I remember an interview in like 06 and he said his two favorite songs were warehouse and the last stop. It just got bad, he seemed to get bitter
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:57 AM   #80
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
I had the quote somewhat right.

What are your favorite songs, both to perform and to hear?

I love “Last Stop” because Roi and I, we’ve slipped a few new things in there and the horn arrangement is pretty kicking, so I love playing that. I love the new stuff that’s happening. I can’t say they’re a stretch because with a drummer like Carter nothing’s a stretch. I love “Break Free” because it’s just a pretty song. I love the songwriting. Dave is a genius when it comes to lyrics. My favorites of the new ones are “Break Free” and “Kill the King.” Of the old ones, “Last Stop,” “Warehouse” and “Nancies.”
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc