These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #41
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
Ok. But who's going to play all of Boyd's old harmonies? He does a ton of that stuff now and a lot of the songs, especially the older ones, would suffer.

I like Rashawn a lot. I could do with a little less of the screaming notes, but for the most part it doesn't bother me. He's a top-notch musician and I think he's been a good addition to the band since he's joined.
I think Buddy could easily take over and handle Boyd’s parts, he does that on a ton of songs already, not to mention he’s a much overl better musician than Rashawn. Buddy is insanely talented and keeps growing with DMB.. I also wouldn’t be opposed to the band dropping rashawn and adding a new really good violin player.

That being said, I think the band sees rashawn as a lifer now..and he “carries” on Rois spirit of the “horn section” he always wanted. So this is all a moot point basically. All we can hope is that the grind of touring tires him out and he quits on his own like Butch did. I’m sure it’ll happen at some point especially at the rate he complains.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:06 AM   #42
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think Buddy could easily take over and handle Boyds parts, he does that on a ton of songs already, not to mention hes a much overl better musician than Rashawn.
Buddy is awesome and I enjoy almost everything he does. He's taken Everyday to another level. But I wouldn't want him to play more Boyd parts because he is already doing other things on those songs that work really well.

It constantly pisses me off how people disregard Rashawn's musicianship. Just because you don't like when he plays in the high register, does not make him a lesser musician or someone with "bad taste." I do think he goes to that well a little too often and on a couple of songs he could choose something better, but he's a real asset to the band.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #43
Tomacco

Quote:
Buddy is awesome and I enjoy almost everything he does. He's taken Everyday to another level. But I wouldn't want him to play more Boyd parts because he is already doing other things on those songs that work really well.

It constantly pisses me off how people disregard Rashawn's musicianship. Just because you don't like when he plays in the high register, does not make him a lesser musician or someone with "bad taste." I do think he goes to that well a little too often and on a couple of songs he could choose something better, but he's a real asset to the band.
I can appreciate what you mean. I was listening to JazzFM the other day and there was a a crazy trumpet solo, with tons of high register playing to the point that it irritated me. Then I thought, "maybe I just don't love trumpet soloing."
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:54 PM   #44
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I can appreciate what you mean. I was listening to JazzFM the other day and there was a a crazy trumpet solo, with tons of high register playing to the point that it irritated me. Then I thought, "maybe I just don't love trumpet soloing."
Exactly. I'm with you there. I love jazz to death but I'm just not a trumpet guy.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #45
greykitkat36

Quote:

I'd put Rashawn in the bottom tier of musicianship in the band though. I think it goes

Jeff
Tim
Carter
Buddy
Stefan
Rashawn
Dave

Carter used to be higher, but I just don't find him as impressive as I used to. It's not that Rashawn isn't talented, but I don't think his talent will be missed nearly as much as some might think.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #46
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

Quote:
Ok. But who's going to play all of Boyd's old harmonies? He does a ton of that stuff now and a lot of the songs, especially the older ones, would suffer.

I like Rashawn a lot. I could do with a little less of the screaming notes, but for the most part it doesn't bother me. He's a top-notch musician and I think he's been a good addition to the band since he's joined.
He’s not a soloist. Don’t have him solo. I think that’s generally what we want. I’m ok with some of the muted stuff he does, but a trumpet solo is never warranted In a dmb song.

Seek up, grey street, rapunzel have literally been rendered lesser songs because of the the squeal contest. Jeff is a soloist. Set him free.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #47
Mersh

Ross only makes this band worse. Carry on.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #48
greykitkat36

Quote:
Just because you don't like when he plays in the high register, does not make him a lesser musician or someone with "bad taste." I do think he goes to that well a little too often and on a couple of songs he could choose something better, but he's a real asset to the band.
1. He doesn't really play in the high register, he just belts single notes.
2. He doesn't always hit or land the notes.
3. He falls back to it as a crutch and to get cheers from the crowd. It's become basically a really predictable bag of tricks for him.

He's definitely improved over the last 10 years, and it seems he's been trying to be more creative and tasteful (take Crush from last year as an example). That being said, I would prefer if he just let Jeff take 90% of the solos. There's literally a sax solo on every single DMB song for 20 years and it worked out just fine for them. They don't have to mix it up and let everyone solo all the time.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #49
greykitkat36

Also, I wish they would mix thing up solo-wise from night to night more, instead of just "this is how we're doing it for the entire tour". I wouldn't mind if they played Jimi or #41 every night if they mixed it up. Have just Jeff solo one night, have Rashawn, Tim or Buddy take it the next night, maybe do a Jeff/Rashawn duel one night. It would help the staleness of certain songs too.

I'd love to hear Tim rip up Bayou instead of knowing it's "buddy's song" every time. Stuff like that would be really refreshing.

It's kind of annoying knowing, "well here's comes the rashawn solo now..etc." It would be nice if you just never knew who was gonna take the solo per song.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:23 AM   #50
DIDO36

Quote:
Also, I wish they would mix thing up solo-wise from night to night more, instead of just "this is how we're doing it for the entire tour". I wouldn't mind if they played Jimi or #41 every night if they mixed it up. Have just Jeff solo one night, have Rashawn, Tim or Buddy take it the next night, maybe do a Jeff/Rashawn duel one night. It would help the staleness of certain songs too.

I'd love to hear Tim rip up Bayou instead of knowing it's "buddy's song" every time. Stuff like that would be really refreshing.

It's kind of annoying knowing, "well here's comes the rashawn solo now..etc." It would be nice if you just never knew who was gonna take the solo per song.
41, Crush, Seek Up, Rapunzel, Proudest Monkey, and Grey Street all need a straight up Sax solo with no help from Rashawn.

Remember that time they started switching up who gets the solo on Satellite, and Satellite was really cool for once. Than they reverted back to the same old shit. Typical dmb move unfortunately.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:29 AM   #51
DIDO36

Honesty Rashawn needs to be muted just like Boyd was. His high pitched notes are just as offensive as a Boyd Skree. It would make my day to see that happen, and see him pout about it.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:41 AM   #52
Tomacco

Quote:
They don't have to mix it up and let everyone solo all the time.
Literally the next post:

Quote:
Also, I wish they would mix thing up solo-wise from night to night more, instead of just "this is how we're doing it for the entire tour".

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with either point, I just thought this was funny, and kind of speaks to why I bet most artists can't listen to fan input. Can't make everyone happy. Especially when they contradict themselves within seconds.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:50 AM   #53
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Ross only makes this band worse. Carry on.
I'm so torn on this. On one hand, I agree and can't stand almost 100% of his playing. But at the same time, I think he's the one that listens to older stuff and gets the band to 'work' on it and also switches up arrangements and things. I doubt Dave & Carter do this and Stefan doesn't seem to be a leader.....so this means Rashawn's the guy nudging the rest of them to take chances, even if they're small.

If that makes sense.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #54
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
I'd put Rashawn in the bottom tier of musicianship in the band though. I think it goes

Jeff
Tim
Carter
Buddy
Stefan
Rashawn
Dave

Carter used to be higher, but I just don't find him as impressive as I used to. It's not that Rashawn isn't talented, but I don't think his talent will be missed nearly as much as some might think.
This list feels way off to me in that Matthew's creative songwriting is what gave everyone the stage. He should be higher than Ross, who is a semi-pro level player that was given an opportunity turned tragedy that worked in his favour. Lessard has also lost a lot of creativity in his pursuit of sounding like every other bassist. There are a million Buddy-whatever-the fuck his last name is. Go to any jazz bar in Manhattan or mega-church in Atlanta or pretty much anywhere in Nashville or NO.
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #55
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Dave at the bottom of the list?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:17 PM   #56
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Dave at the bottom of the list?
Yeah, weird placement for Dave considering it all. But yeah, Rashawn only harms the band. He ruined it all.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #57
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
One of the reasons I love Come Tomorrow so much is the lack of Ross. Whether the album feels disjointed or not, the fact that I don't hear Rashawn leading the charge of musicianship on the record made it so surprisingly refreshing and I think in part played a role in my extreme enjoyment of that album, even now a few years later.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #58
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I know its a silly sentiment overall, given what we know and the track record, and I KNOW he was in decline pretty hard, but sometimes I wonder if the scrubbed Boyd contributions actually contained some good stuff.
Jayes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #59
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

How angry do you think Ross is that he brought in Buddy, but went on to become the darling of the band moreso than Ross. He’s probably hates Buddy now
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:30 PM   #60
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
How angry do you think Ross is that he brought in Buddy, but went on to become the darling of the band moreso than Ross. Hes probably hates Buddy now
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc