These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2020, 09:05 PM   #21
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I have never once enjoyed anything that he has contributed to the band, ever. Admittedly I've been pretty disengaged from the band for about the past 10 or so years, but every once in a while I'll listen in. Does he honestly ever do anything good?
Credit where credit is due. This is awesome

[Only registered users can see links.]

Otherwise, meh. The bad far outweighs the good.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #22
patsfan39

I oftentimes find myself saying “ok it’s going good, don’t fuck this up Rashawn”. I want to root for him, but he’s like the modern day Boyd except when he’s good I really don’t think it brings much to the band. He can only be a negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:01 AM   #23
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I have never once enjoyed anything that he has contributed to the band, ever. Admittedly I've been pretty disengaged from the band for about the past 10 or so years, but every once in a while I'll listen in. Does he honestly ever do anything good?
I’ll give him Crush but that’s about it. I don’t care for him on anything else at all. In fact he ruins a lot of stuff IMO. I generally don’t like his style at all. The Jam of Grey Street and Rapunzel, are examples absolutely horrible playing that is pretty cringeworthy. Like he goes for these high pitched notes that are ridiculous and straight up sound bad. Look it’s probably hard to play those notes, but it still sounds like shit so what’s the point? Guess he keeps on doing that because the crowds these days eat it up. Problem is the dmb crowds these days are pretty terrible, and just react to a bunch of loud noises, because it looks impressive on the surface.

On top of that, trumpet just doesn’t fit in dmb well, and the canned horns are very stale. Just about any sax driven solo is so much better in dmb then trumpet. Even something like PM were he isn’t terrible, Jeff on sax is a much better option. Take the PM from alpine 2009 for example where Jeff absolutely tears it up. Take a look at the better songs in 4.0. The Stone, YNK, Bartender, Say Bye, Raven, BOWA, Captain, So Right, LLD, JTR all have a Jeff solo or they don’t feature much Rashawn. Then on a song like #41 instead of a sax solo (that is perfect for the tune) you get canned horns and a Tim solo. Gross. I’m also not a huge fan of Tim in the full band setting on electric anymore, but he’s better then Rashawn. I even prefer a Buddy on piano solo over Rashawn by far.

Anyway that just my opinion. I’m sure he’s a talented musician, but he just doesn’t fit in dmb. Glad they tried something different back in 2006, but it’s stale as hell now.

Last edited by DIDO36; 08-06-2020 at 10:50 AM.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #24
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
I’ll give him Crush but that’s about it. I don’t care for him on anything else at all. In fact he ruins a lot of stuff IMO. I generally don’t like his style at all. The Jam of Grey Street and Rapunzel, are examples absolutely horrible playing that is pretty cringeworthy. Like he goes for these high pitched notes that are ridiculous and straight up sound bad. Look it’s probably hard to play those notes, but it still sounds like shit so what’s the point? Guess he keeps on doing that because the crowds these days eat it up. Problem is the dmb crowds these days are pretty terrible, and just react to a bunch of loud noises, because it looks impressive on the surface.

On top of that, trumpet just doesn’t fit in dmb well, and the canned horns are very stale. Just about any sax driven solo is so much better in dmb then trumpet. Even something like PM were he isn’t terrible, Jeff on sax is a much better option. Take the PM from alpine 2009 for example where Jeff absolutely tears it up. Take a look at the better songs in 4.0. The Stone, YNK, Bartender, Say Bye, Raven, BOWA, Captain, So Right, LLD, JTR all have a Jeff solo or they don’t feature much Rashawn. Then on a song like #41 instead of a sax solo (that is perfect for the tune) you get canned horns and a Tim solo. Gross. I’m also not a huge fan of Tim in the full band setting on electric anymore, but he’s better then Rashawn. I even prefer a Buddy on piano solo over Rashawn by far.

Anyway that just my opinion. I’m sure he’s a talented musician, but him in dmb just doesn’t fit. Glad they tried something different back in 2006, but it’s stale as hell now.
Yep. To me, HE ruined the band. Dave's songwriting aside. Rashawn ruined the sound.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #25
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Yep. To me, HE ruined the band. Dave's songwriting aside. Rashawn ruined the sound.
I fully agree with this. He ruined the sound as much as Boyd needing to be covered for. People can blame Tim all they want, but Tim had been with Dave from day 1, and if you listen to #41 from 2/16/96 it is crazy to hear how powerful that song is without any loudness to it. They seemed to feel the need to make almost every song 'BIG' when they moved away from their original unique sound. Sad, but he's not going anywhere.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #26
Tomacco

Everyone wants somebody to blame for this whole "big" sound thing. I blame all of them:

Carter for smashing his cymbals more and snare more often.
Dave for screaming and wailing more.
Rashawn for belting out screeching notes.
Jeff for wailing on his sax.
Buddy for overplaying the organ.
Roi for bringing in Rashawn.
Boyd for being terrible.
Tim for shredding too much and not playing acoustic ever.
Stefan for writing Hunger for the Great Light.

They all play a role, and most of the changes happened organically over time.
Stefan is probably the least to blame of all of them.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:39 PM   #27
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

I like what he brings to the table on the muted trumpet....and his background singing is fantastic. I'm not a fan of DMB + trumpet, so that really hurts my overall opinion of his work.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #28
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I like what he brings to the table on the muted trumpet.
That's. It.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:56 AM   #29
JimBeam41

The only 2 times i can think of enjoying his work is on Break Free (LT 6 Fenway) and Rooftop (LT 29 Blossom).
Old 08-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #30
batleon

Yeah I am in the "Rashawn is just a symptom of the problem" category. I think they would sound marginally better without him but even if he went away it's still just "bigger, faster, louder" with them now.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #31
3beamsoflight6

Fenway 06 Break Free
Live Trax 08 Dreaming Tree
Live Trax 08 Proudest Monkey

I don’t listen to much newer stuff but these performances by Rashawn, off the top of my head are awesome.
3beamsoflight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #32
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beamsoflight6 View Post
Fenway 06 Break Free
Live Trax 08 Dreaming Tree
Live Trax 08 Proudest Monkey

I donít listen to much newer stuff but these performances by Rashawn, off the top of my head are awesome.
Yeah I agree with these.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #33
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Wasn't he good on his 2005 #41 guest spots as well? Isn't that what attracted Roi and the band to him?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:55 AM   #34
SomeDevil17

Yea that 41 one from red rocks is great
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #35
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

It’s almost like he has an inferiority complex and make sure that his screeching high note is the last thing that is heard at the end of the song
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:38 PM   #36
sean52692
You failed this band

Maybe I'm in the minority, but the #41 Red Rocks version with him is a chore to get through.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:01 PM   #37
SeekUpAB

It’s kind of funny how people mentioned So Right early in this thread and then to hear Jeff completely tear that song up alone on the MSG show. Perfect example of what they could sound like if Rashawn finally fucked off.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #38
dmb1981

Worst: Every single night
Best: 2008 DT's

I have no use for Rashawn in the slightest. Ruined the band's sound. And eliminates the chance for Jeff to knock us out night it, night out on SO many god damn songs.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #39
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Yeah I am in the "Rashawn is just a symptom of the problem" category. I think they would sound marginally better without him but even if he went away it's still just "bigger, faster, louder" with them now.
Totally agreed. He's not the sole reason for the sound right now. But yeah if he left the band they'd improve by about 20% instantly. Just listen to songs where he sits out like LLD. Instantly better band.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #40
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Totally agreed. He's not the sole reason for the sound right now. But yeah if he left the band they'd improve by about 20% instantly. Just listen to songs where he sits out like LLD. Instantly better band.
Ok. But who's going to play all of Boyd's old harmonies? He does a ton of that stuff now and a lot of the songs, especially the older ones, would suffer.

I like Rashawn a lot. I could do with a little less of the screaming notes, but for the most part it doesn't bother me. He's a top-notch musician and I think he's been a good addition to the band since he's joined.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc