These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Yup. Yuma is awesome too. That is one of the few songs I liked the first time I heard it that has held up over way, way too many listens.

There is a show from, I think, Germany back in '07 where he opens with it that is amazing. I've never been super wowed with him live, he always seems to add an annoying number of 'Baby' 's to his songs which just becomes distracting. That said, if he is ever remotely close to me I still go out of my way to see him.
i've heard mixed things about him live so i've never really had interest. youtube videos don't help either. tempo's are weird, he should tour with a full band, etc.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
FiddySpence
TDCya

most interesting part of that article was his relationship with Steve Earle. i've always wondered about that.

plus, fuck man Steve Earle is a god damned legend.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
i gotta be honest, it's probably a horrible thing to say, but i hope he never gets completely clean. he's clearly been battling this through some of his best work and that's not a coincidence to me.

i mean, look what happened to Doughty when he kicked all his vices. boring as fuck now.
I kind of always think this way. I even had a long standing debate with a friend about ryan adams being clean now. I always think the art is worth more than the artist. If taking that thread away makes the art suffer... well I'd rather the artist suffer. Sobriety and money have ruined too many greats before age has.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #24
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I kind of always think this way. I even had a long standing debate with a friend about ryan adams being clean now. I always think the art is worth more than the artist. If taking that thread away makes the art suffer... well I'd rather the artist suffer.
right, unless you have a personal relationship with the guy that's IMO the correct way to look at it. and that goes for more things than just addiction and the artists' well being. it goes for artists with awful personalities (Adams) or that do things that a reasonable person would find deplorable. as long as the music is good i can overlook just about anything.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #25
FiddySpence
TDCya

plus, on a purely juvenile level. i still think the "Rock & Roll" lifestyle is fascinating and "cool". it makes JTE more interesting than if he's just a well adjusted dude who knows his way around a good song.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #26
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
most interesting part of that article was his relationship with Steve Earle. i've always wondered about that.
same here. I always heard troubling things, but then heard that JTE actually lived with him at times (as that article confirms). So, I guess there are more questions than answers. But, I can totally see it as the article describes. Being more brotherly, & more and more competitive by the hour. Which, I think is also good for fans.

I was hoping Justin's part would add up to more than one cameo in the first season with Steve (all I have seen). Steve stuck around, but I only remember Justin from one scene.

I'm also not above admitting I like to get drunk on moonshine and blast copperhead road a few times during the summer.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #27
FiddySpence
TDCya

to all that.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #28
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
i've heard mixed things about him live so i've never really had interest. youtube videos don't help either. tempo's are weird, he should tour with a full band, etc.
If he comes by you I'd definitely check him out. He definitely seems to have a problem with tempo/timing, I think that is why he is always adding 'baby' to the end of lines. But, he is one unique dude and he is very open with the audience. Plus, it has always been a cheap & easy ticket (outside of boston around me).

He also is really approachable and fascinating. When I saw him last in quasi-rural Maine he was saying how he had scheduled a few off days after that show so he could just go off and find an odd town (mentioning he had driven around and we have no shortage of them) to get lost in for a few days. Just find some odd hotel or B&B. I thought that was an incredibly cool for him to do and a great way to seek inspiration. He is also at the perfect time in his career where 99.9% of people outside of major cities have no idea who he is, so he can totally get away with doing shit like that.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #29
FiddySpence
TDCya

cool stuff
Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #30
FiddySpence
TDCya

JTE produced Wanda Jackson's upcoming record

[Only registered users can see links.]

It takes a pretty special person to claim a title that includes descriptors like “first,” “sex symbol,” and “dated Elvis Presley,” but Wanda Jackson’s up for the task. The 75-year-old Queen Of Rockabilly is back with a new record, her 31st. Unfinished Business will be released Oct. 9 and includes covers of Woody Guthrie's "California Stars" and Bobby and Shirley Womack's "It's All Over Now," supplemented with a dose of country and blues originals. After Jack White produced her last record, The Party Ain’t Over, Jackson’s apparently grown fond of the youngsters, tapping fellow country darling Justin Townes Earle to helm Unfinished Business. Rolling Stone has footage of the two winking and nudging their way through the studio together, along with Jackson’s remembrance of being a country music progenitor (“Bob Dylan called me a hurricane in lipstick”) and modern-day rock ‘n’ roller.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #31
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Mother fucker. RIP.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:45 AM   #32
Bluewater34
Is Old

I’m totally at a loss right now. I have to wonder if he relapsed.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:42 AM   #33
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

His poor family, his daughter's my oldest daughter's age. Jesus.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #34
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

This is right up there with Roi dying for me. I think PGR17 introduced him to me and he has been a constant presence in my life since then. I feel so bad for his wife and daughter. He always struggled with his dad not really being present, and now it will be even worse for his kid. Just terrible.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #35
Mersh

damn
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:58 AM   #36
gweeps
homesick android

Yeah, 38? Makes me feel old.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #37
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Iím totally at a loss right now. I have to wonder if he relapsed.
I went down a rabbit hole I wish I hadn't gone down last night.

There's videos on youtube from his last performances back in March. Do yourself a favor and don't watch them. Just broke my heart.

He and his wife had been separated for a while before covid. It seems like he wasn't in the best place before covid hit and here we are.

This was the last time I saw him. Very good performance. I left that show so optimistic for him. Damn it.

[Only registered users can see links.]
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #38
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

The shirtless thing certainly didn’t make any sense to me. It seemed like he did that a lot near the end? He was always a weird guy, but I had a hard time listening to him live in recent years.

It’s weird to think of him and Isbell. I always associated them together in my mind, and what different paths they ended up on.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #39
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Ahh, shit. I just remembered I was supposed to see him in mid March. Right when COVID blew up. He was opening for some dude I never heard of.

Old 08-24-2020, 06:01 PM   #40
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Exactly where my head went, too. I got into both of them in 2011 so they were always intertwined to me.

I know what you’re saying about his live sound the last few years. I really enjoyed his tour with the sadies backing him up but other than that he seemed... not quite right.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc