Sweet Up and Down
Loving Wings
Shotgun
A Dream So Real
Bismarck
Sugar Will
Kill the King
Crazy Easy

You know they could do it. Good studio versions probably exist for most.
Old 09-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #12102
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Just give us a rarities comp with

JTR
Sweet Up and Down
Loving Wings
Shotgun
A Dream So Real
Bismarck
Sugar Will
Kill the King
Crazy Easy

You know they could do it. Good studio versions probably exist for most.
One of the reasons I've given up on this band is their inability to even execute on the most no-brainer type situations.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:02 PM   #12103
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I still have to think that the circumstances of this hodgepodge album has almost everything to do with wanting to avoid the Boyd disaster. I don’t think that will necessarily impact anything about future work.
I don't think it has to do with Boyd that much really at all. They've been recording with Cavallo since like 2014/2015 and it still took them 3 years to put out CT. They also recorded with Batson in '06/'07 and it amounted to nothing. Boyd was barely contributing by that point as it was...Dave constantly called out Boyd on stage a bunch of times in 2014 as well. I think I was at a show where he even said, "Oh boyd, nice of you to show up" or something along those lines. It was a low blow.

I just think Dave in particular is really bad at finishing things. It's been like this his entire career. Look at songs like #40, Shotgun, Sugar Will, these songs have been around for over 10 years and he only finished Sugar Will 3-4 years ago, Shotgun like 5 years ago and still has never finished #40. Just one example of many.

They were motivated to finish BW because of Roi, and they were motivated to finish AFTW because they knew the fans wanted Lillywhite back. Not sure where the motivation lies now.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #12104
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I don't think it has to do with Boyd that much really at all. They've been recording with Cavallo since like 2014/2015 and it still took them 3 years to put out CT. They also recorded with Batson in '06/'07 and it amounted to nothing. Boyd was barely contributing by that point as it was...Dave constantly called out Boyd on stage a bunch of times in 2014 as well. I think I was at a show where he even said, "Oh boyd, nice of you to show up" or something along those lines. It was a low blow.

I just think Dave in particular is really bad at finishing things. It's been like this his entire career. Look at songs like #40, Shotgun, Sugar Will, these songs have been around for over 10 years and he only finished Sugar Will 3-4 years ago, Shotgun like 5 years ago and still has never finished #40. Just one example of many.

They were motivated to finish BW because of Roi, and they were motivated to finish AFTW because they knew the fans wanted Lillywhite back. Not sure where the motivation lies now.
Some great points.

Stand Up was an extremely subpar effort. They finished the songs on the road.

Busted Stuff was finished because of Lws.

Everyday was a shoehorned affair with mostly Dave and Ballard.

Then there's all the unreleased songs, some great, others good, many terrible.

Not a great track record since the 90s.

I've said before, but DMB was a great 90's band.

Still love the band though. It's just a damn shame. Tragic really.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #12105
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
You've heard 'That Girl is You,' right?

Do. Not. Want.
Lol. You misunderstood me. I didnít mean it would improve the quality of songs - I meant it would suit his desire to take the path of least resistance and drama. Eg, continue down the path of songwriting laziness.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #12106
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post

All of that is true, but it doesnít have anything to do with what I was talking about. I was referring to the fact that they found out around the Super Bowl show, just a few months before the album came out, that Boyd was getting sued for being a creep. Then Dave went back into the studio and did more work. And then we got an album pieced together from multiple different sessions and years, without much Boyd on it. I think that points toward a scramble to get an album out that minimized Boydís involvement, and thus the fallout from his suit becoming public.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #12107
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
All of that is true, but it doesn’t have anything to do with what I was talking about. I was referring to the fact that they found out around the Super Bowl show, just a few months before the album came out, that Boyd was getting sued for being a creep. Then Dave went back into the studio and did more work. And then we got an album pieced together from multiple different sessions and years, without much Boyd on it. I think that points toward a scramble to get an album out that minimized Boyd’s involvement, and thus the fallout from his suit becoming public.
I hear you, but once again no one really knows, and while we can deduce that possibility, doesn't mean it's true. I think they easily could have just took Boyd off the songs/muted his parts entirely and still released whatever they had. It's not like he had big contributions in writing, and the majority of the songs from 2014 on he barely even played any parts anyways. He never did anything on BBB, Virginia, Bob Law, Samurai etc., he was basically non-existent.

If it were more of a B-sides album that was the plan and they had to scramble to piece together new songs to put on, that still doesn't add up to me because they left IOY and Can't Stop on the album even though Boyd recorded on those too, not to mention you can hear him on Can't Stop I believe.

It's possible you're right, but my personal opinion is I don't think Boyd was the catalyst for the band scrapping or scrambling to piece this together. I think there was label pressure to put something out (it was going on close to 6 years with no release), and the band just wasn't anywhere near finished with most of the material, for probably several reasons that include Boyd but probably go beyond Boyd.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #12108
greykitkat36

That being said, I would much rather Dave and the band just go in the studio and finish crap, even if it turns out like That Girl Is You.

Dave said he wrote and recorded that in 30 minutes, and while it's a turd on the album if they took more of that approach instead of nitpicking every little thing and trying to be perfect, perhaps they'd be able to release more material. Who knows, but whatever kind of method they've been using in the studio since '05 has been overall a really inefficient way to record.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:35 AM   #12109
gweeps
homesick android

DYR is one the nicest cuts on this album. It's well-produced and mixed. No silly frills added. A fun song.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #12110
bassplayer22

Quote:
DYR is one the nicest cuts on this album. It's well-produced and mixed. No silly frills added. A fun song.
Just listened to it this morning. Agreed.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #12111
sean52692
You failed this band

DYR is super nice... That one plus Virginia and IOY are my favorites. Again and Again, Samurai Cop, and She ain't bad either. The rest I can do without.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #12112
zaphod!

Quote:
no silly frills? those woos are very silly frills.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #12113
Steveo Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
The layering of Daveís voice on the chorus I also do not like
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:12 PM   #12114
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Obviously you two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
The layering of Daveís voice on the chorus I also do not like
think they are out of place. Shame.

We're not talking about some English lady answering a phone, footsteps, sirens, etc.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:20 PM   #12115
ThememanXX
I've gotta make a destination.

I still canít believe people donít hear the ďit was the summer of love....pouring all over us....Ē part of DYR in ďABCĒ from the Batson Sessions. Iím convinced thatís where that part of the song came from.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #12116
dmb1981

Quote:
Agreed. Good song, definitely silly frills throughout the whole tune.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #12117
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I still can’t believe people don’t hear the “it was the summer of love....pouring all over us....” part of DYR in “ABC” from the Batson Sessions. I’m convinced that’s where that part of the song came from.
I hear it a small amount. A stretch but there's also something to what you are saying.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #12118
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Quote:
dude what are those woos? They sound really stupid
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #12119
That's it, Sir.
I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
dude what are those woos? They sound really stupid
So fucking stupid.

I'll say it again. Live-in-studio album that is recorded to tape. Get some songs ready and come in and cut them 5 times each and take the best cuts. They are a live band. They get in trouble in the studio and use the tech in all the worst ways. It allows them to take these lazy, half assed ideas that are all over this album to print. It is horrible that they can't everyone in the band in the studio together to work on finishing songs. You can hear all of these problems in this release.

Here's where they should do it:

[Only registered users can see links.]
That's it, Sir. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #12120
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
So fucking stupid.

I'll say it again. Live-in-studio album that is recorded to tape. Get some songs ready and come in and cut them 5 times each and take the best cuts. They are a live band. They get in trouble in the studio and use the tech in all the worst ways. It allows them to take these lazy, half assed ideas that are all over this album to print. It is horrible that they can't everyone in the band in the studio together to work on finishing songs. You can hear all of these problems in this release.

Here's where they should do it:

[Only registered users can see links.]

I agree with this except they did that exactly with Busted Stuff and while itís really great, a lot of people thought the album sounded kind of flat. I think probably a good combo of live recording and post production is probably best.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc