These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #1
Steveo Style

Lighting Rigs over the years

Has anyone compiled the changes over the years? Would like to see how itís evolved.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
Has anyone compiled the changes over the years? Would like to see how itís evolved.
I always loved in 2000 rig
Old 08-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

Which one had the big lamprey condoms on stage? That was crepy AF. 2001?
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
greykitkat36

They had a really light, minimal setup for the most part until 2000 I'm pretty sure. Just amphitheater screens and no backdrop. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Even '02-'04 seemed pretty minimal too. It wasn't until '05 they started really experimenting with that.

I remember they had the Stand Up firedancer logo behind them sparkling for Winter '05, and I think the strobe light stuff was added in either '07 or '08 and it's just been crazy since. I'm not a huge fan of their current lighting rig at all, it's way too over the top and distracting to me for the most part. Wish they'd scale it back more.
Old 08-26-2020, 11:59 PM   #5
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
They had a really light, minimal setup for the most part until 2000 I'm pretty sure. Just amphitheater screens and no backdrop. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Even '02-'04 seemed pretty minimal too. It wasn't until '05 they started really experimenting with that.

I remember they had the Stand Up firedancer logo behind them sparkling for Winter '05, and I think the strobe light stuff was added in either '07 or '08 and it's just been crazy since. I'm not a huge fan of their current lighting rig at all, it's way too over the top and distracting to me for the most part. Wish they'd scale it back more.
Once LED became the norm, everything became brighter and a little more crazy for every band, not just DMB. Want to say DMBs rig became pretty LED heavy around 2009 or so. 2013 was the peak for distracting rigs. That rig was huge, with a screen that filled the entire stage. The lights were crazy and they had a ton of lasers. After that it became more and more minimal (with the exception of 2016). I feel like last years was really minimal. Seems just as minimal as they were 15 to 20 years ago. The only difference is the better LED lights.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #6
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Which one had the big lamprey condoms on stage? That was crepy AF. 2001?
Yep that was the one

Old 08-28-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
OceanSoGood
Where'd you get that vibe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
Once LED became the norm, everything became brighter and a little more crazy for every band, not just DMB. Want to say DMBs rig became pretty LED heavy around 2009 or so. 2013 was the peak for distracting rigs. That rig was huge, with a screen that filled the entire stage. The lights were crazy and they had a ton of lasers. After that it became more and more minimal (with the exception of 2016). I feel like last years was really minimal. Seems just as minimal as they were 15 to 20 years ago. The only difference is the better LED lights.

Nice post.

I absolutely feel the switch to less is more but I certainly miss a good large rig depending on the setup. I always dug when the rigs would move throughout the show. Also the acoustic two set shows had a unique look to them too.

Brian
OceanSoGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
Yep that was the one

Great pic, I kinda like that 2001 set up honesty. Look at Carters kit. You can barley even see Carter from that angle because the kit is so huge. His kit is still big these days, but it’s weak in comparison to that old kit.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:28 AM   #9
Tomacco

Always noticed over the years there's a purist vibe on the boards among the hardcores, where big screens and cool lights = bad/lame.
Never understood it. Since I've been going to shows, the most bare-bones rig was by far my least favorite - 2005.
Give me big screens, please. I want to see Tim's fingering, Carter blow a bubble, Jeff and Rashawn work out a part, etc. Sometimes you're not close enough to appreciate those details and it helps.

My favorite rigs that come to mind are 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2016 and 2018. I honestly can't remember the rigs for 2009-2015 (aside from those light stands during the acoustic sets in 2014-15). But I know my least favorite were 2005 and 2011 because there were no screens on stage.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc