These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #41
crazycreep

The ticket sales must have been underwhelming....
Old 10-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #42
SomeDevil17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycreep View Post
Holding out for the Rashawn Ross announcement.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #43
Tomacco

Quote:
Possibly. But the same thing happened last year. Openers were announced long after the show announcement.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #44
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Adding Bela would work for a stateside DMB show. An overpriced D&T show in Mexico, nah
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #45
crazycreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Possibly. But the same thing happened last year. Openers were announced long after the show announcement.
I didn't realize that....i just noticed they've been pushing it lately ...adding bela will def make for some sweet shows & hopefully a lock for a spoon w bela&brandi
Old 10-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #46
d.m.bfan222
Nothing beats BTCS

Quote:
I've seen a lot of paid and organic social posts promoting it, I think you're right. Though, if you look at the site many of the packages are sold out. But there are less resorts hosting than last year.

As someone who went last year and had a great time (and goes to too many DMB/D&T shows), I'm not really interested in going again.
d.m.bfan222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #47
crazycreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.m.bfan222 View Post
I've seen a lot of paid and organic social posts promoting it, I think you're right. Though, if you look at the site many of the packages are sold out. But there are less resorts hosting than last year.

As someone who went last year and had a great time (and goes to too many DMB/D&T shows), I'm not really interested in going again.
I go a lot less than I used to...I really wanted to go last year until I figured out how much it costs to go to the same resorts w/o D&T...NTM I would have had to prolly go myself
Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 AM   #48
Josh.0

I really wish they'd just focus on playing smaller domestic venues. I really don't like seeing Dave's transformation into Jimmy Buffett.

Book intimate venues all over America, sell them out, bring back a sense of relevancy in doing so, and just accept that this band isn't what it was 15 years ago (from a demand standpoint).

Gimmicky tours and Mexican adventures and whatever else just makes me question my own better judgement in still bothering with this band. I mean, they just took the year off and my overall sense is that nobody really missed them all THAT much.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: DMB owes their lingering sense of relevancy to the community that their fans built. If not for places like TDC and, honestly, Ants, they probably would've rolled up the carpet, locked the doors, and turned out the lights probably a few years ago. It's the community itself, and much less the band, that's keeping this thing together.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #49
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I don’t think this has thing one to do with ticket sales. I mean, how many people are on the fence on this and are like, “oh shit, Bela Fleck and Brandi Carlise? Now I’m definitely spending ten grand to go to this.” Two people? 3 people? Okay, I’ll grant you four people. Four ultra d-bag super fans got locked and loaded solely because of this announcement.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #50
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.m.bfan222 View Post

Good point, they havenít added any new fans to the fanbase in the last year who would be down for an expensive MX package. They probably got a lot of those who were willing to do it last year.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #51
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I don’t think this has thing one to do with ticket sales. I mean, how many people are on the fence on this and are like, “oh shit, Bela Fleck and Brandi Carlise? Now I’m definitely spending ten grand to go to this.” Two people? 3 people? Okay, I’ll grant you four people. Four ultra d-bag super fans got locked and loaded solely because of this announcement.
Agreed, if it was to sell tickets they would have put some even bigger names with them. The fanbase is pretty cushy these days, and there's a lot of people that can afford to go to this, clearly or they wouldn't be doing it again. I think D+T probably just want to spice it up a bit and have some guests. A lot of weatlhy 40-60 year olds is essentially their main demographic.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:43 AM   #52
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
I really wish they'd just focus on playing smaller domestic venues. I really don't like seeing Dave's transformation into Jimmy Buffett.

Book intimate venues all over America, sell them out, bring back a sense of relevancy in doing so, and just accept that this band isn't what it was 15 years ago (from a demand standpoint).

Gimmicky tours and Mexican adventures and whatever else just makes me question my own better judgement in still bothering with this band. I mean, they just took the year off and my overall sense is that nobody really missed them all THAT much.

I've said it once and I'll say it again: DMB owes their lingering sense of relevancy to the community that their fans built. If not for places like TDC and, honestly, Ants, they probably would've rolled up the carpet, locked the doors, and turned out the lights probably a few years ago. It's the community itself, and much less the band, that's keeping this thing together.
I'm 100% on board with this entire post. Really don't like it either, and it does seem a little lame, cheesy and semi-money grabbing..but then again, a lot of artists are doing this, it's not just Jimmy Buffett. But I agree, I'd prefer smaller venues and relevancy over this as well.

But the band doesn't necessarily OWE us anything. We get a little spoiled. They've toured every single year for 25 years straight, and put out several Live Shows in good quality every single year...we've got tons of studio material and for the most part they treat the fanbase pretty damn well compared to most other bands out there. Could they do more? Sure, but it's not like they give us nothing.

These guys are human, too, and they're entitled to do what they wish at this point. We really do take this band for granted a lot. We underestimate the family factor. All these guys have families, they have kids, and it's hard to let those moments with them go by while you grind out another long summer tour. I think all of us on here are in this for the long haul, and I'm not annoyed in the least bit to admit that. Whatever they continue to do, I will always be watching and following, even if I don't appreciate it quite like I used to.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #53
TDunk

Maybe it’s money grabby but everyone does it these days
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #54
phishb13

my wife and i decided to go to this on a whim for our (delayed) 5th anniversary. i didn't really think i wanted to do this for just dave and tim initially (was holding out for Phish going back) but we're fairly excited.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:20 PM   #55
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
Maybe itís money grabby but everyone does it these days
And it's pretty simple. Either go or don't.

It isn't like this event is offsetting a tour or anything like that stateside. It's a bonus thing for people who have the money and interest in that type of thing. It's not for me - but I can see why people would enjoy it.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #56
phishb13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
And it's pretty simple. Either go or don't.
nailed it.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #57
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishb13 View Post
my wife and i decided to go to this on a whim for our (delayed) 5th anniversary. i didn't really think i wanted to do this for just dave and tim initially (was holding out for Phish going back) but we're fairly excited.
It will be a fun time
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #58
Tomacco

Personally, the D&T tour in 2017 was a terrific example of how they could keep relevance going, despite Mexico resort stints, etc. They played a good handful of medium sized ampitheaters this summer, and against all odds, they made D&T work in these venues. Personally, this was shocking for me, but those two Philly shows proved me wrong in so many ways. The setlists, the vibe, everything, was so much better than I expected. D&T gave me more exciting shows in 2017 than many DMB shows did in 2016.

DMB can still bring it. D&T did in 2017. They just need to be adventurous with their setlists and their performances. That's all this fanbase ever wanted.
And of course, some new material this coming year would help.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:34 AM   #59
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Personally, the D&T tour in 2017 was a terrific example of how they could keep relevance going, despite Mexico resort stints, etc. They played a good handful of medium sized ampitheaters this summer, and against all odds, they made D&T work in these venues. Personally, this was shocking for me, but those two Philly shows proved me wrong in so many ways. The setlists, the vibe, everything, was so much better than I expected. D&T gave me more exciting shows in 2017 than many DMB shows did in 2016.

DMB can still bring it. D&T did in 2017. They just need to be adventurous with their setlists and their performances. That's all this fanbase ever wanted.
And of course, some new material this coming year would help.
Agreed. Changing the venues up a bit could help too. Dave hadn’t played at The Mann since the mid 90s. I would love to see the band play some different places for once (in terms of major stands). Not going to happen though. And neither will interesting set lists. Hope I’m wrong but to me there’s just no indication of anything being different. The first week or two might be awesome because they haven’t been on the road together for a long time and because beginning of tours always have bust outs—but it’s so easy for them to fall back into the same routine and everything will be like they never took a break. That’s what worries me most. I was hoping this hiatus would brainstorm some interesting or innovative ways for the band to progress but doesn’t seem like there’s any inclination of that at all in any way thus far. Theyre even playing the same exact super bowl party they did already.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:39 AM   #60
greykitkat36

Plus they should be trying out more of these new songs. We know they have enough songs to fill up multiple albums as Dave mentioned in that interview yet weíve only heard like 7 of them. I donít care if they suck or not, letís hear them already. Let the fans be the judge of that. Donít put out an album with songs weíve never heard again and have us all be disappointed as shit.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc