These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #181
Penumbra
Penumbra

What's special about the 4.7.02 Bartender? I haven't heard it - an epic outro?
Old 07-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #182
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post
Yeah. Dave improv lyrics outro
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #183
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penumbra View Post

Yeah, it was really good.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:31 PM   #184
Klooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
not the best Cortez.
Might well be my favorite version, I think, but there have been some stellar performances over the years. I played the CP version to death for about a year after the release; it's by far my most listened to track from CP.

What's your pick?
Klooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #185
Penumbra
Penumbra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Yeah. Dave improv lyrics outro
Got it - thanks - I'll have to check it out
Old 07-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #186
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klooner View Post
Might well be my favorite version, I think, but there have been some stellar performances over the years. I played the CP version to death for about a year after the release; it's by far my most listened to track from CP.

What's your pick?
It's definitley the best Cortez DMB has played, and imo it's not even close to debatable, if Mersh is going to say 12.13.00 or something it's because he just wants to pick a fight. Warren's solo is absolute perfection on CP, almost like he wrote the solo note for note before he went out there. And the way the band plays off of him and everything...I think it really peaks well and doesn't go too insanely long like the more recent versions have. They played it that night almost like they had rehearsed it together before, and we know that wasn't the case.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:03 AM   #187
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
CP is a huge show. It's very significant. It's definitely one of their best. If you're talking Top 3 shows of DMB 2.0 then we have a discussion. But Top 3 overall, no, I don't think so. Top 20 you could probably debate, maybe even Top 10. But Top 3, no.
I'd like to hear some of your picks, and I'll go back and listen, but I'm sticking by CP being top 3 All-time...at WORST top 5. I just don't see what there is to dislike about the show in any way. Sub-par encore? I mean, for
'03 maybe but we'd be more than happy with an encore like that these days. It has all the classic songs and a couple of nice ones for the hardcores (granny, help myself, Rhyme). It's not the best setlist of all-time..not even close, but peformance wise? I'm not sure I can find many that top it.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #188
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klooner View Post

What's your pick?
I'd say it has to be 12.13.00, but the 10.28.00 or 10.29 Bridge School performance (I always mix up which night is the one I am talking about. The one that wasn't part of that Bridge School comp that was released) is underrated. Really strong version...people may not like it better than 12.13, but personally that is my favorite. Still, 12.13.00 is the best performance IMO.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:52 AM   #189
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
, if Mersh is going to say 12.13.00 or something it's because he just wants to pick a fight. .
Oh, ok.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:31 AM   #190
SeekUpAB

Calling Granny and Rhyme "nice ones for the hardcores" is a huge stretch.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #191
Tomacco

There have been a couple amazing Cortez performances since CP too. WPB '10 and Gorge '11 come to mind. But I know nothing 3.0 is ever really eligible for "best ever version" status around here. 12.13.00 and CP were the first two versions I fell in love with, and those first loves do get put on a pedestal, but I can't objectively say either are better than those two 3.0 versions. Basically what I'm saying is that there are a few incredible versions, and IMO it's stupid to put your foot down and say there is an unquestionable best version.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:44 AM   #192
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
Calling Granny and Rhyme "nice ones for the hardcores" is a huge stretch.
And yeah this is a big stretch, especially in 2003. I still 100% remember when this show was webcasted and watching it, thinking the setlist was a bit too standard. Aside from the Cortez/Jimi combo, the setlist felt really safe to me. After going to six shows that year and seeing a bunch of stuff like Last Stop, Dreaming Tree, PFWYG, KKJ, Typical, Minarets, and Spoon, it felt notably safe. Solid, but safe.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #193
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Basically what I'm saying is that there are a few incredible versions, and IMO it's stupid to put your foot down and say there is an unquestionable best version.
We discuss these things here...part of what the board is for, no? Everyone knows it is all one persons opinion.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #194
Bluewater34
Is Old

Mersh mentioned it, but the Bridge School 2000 version of Cortez with Neil was a monster. My favorite version, and it's not close.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #195
Mersh

Yeah, it is really great.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 AM   #196
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
We discuss these things here...part of what the board is for, no? Everyone knows it is all one persons opinion.
I agree, I was mostly responding to the comment that "it's not even close to debatable" that CP Cortez is the best ever.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #197
Mersh

fair enough
Old 07-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #198
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
And yeah this is a big stretch, especially in 2003. I still 100% remember when this show was webcasted and watching it, thinking the setlist was a bit too standard. Aside from the Cortez/Jimi combo, the setlist felt really safe to me. After going to six shows that year and seeing a bunch of stuff like Last Stop, Dreaming Tree, PFWYG, KKJ, Typical, Minarets, and Spoon, it felt notably safe. Solid, but safe.
Yeah and I think that's the main reason people are against calling it a "top 3 show" around here, and it's unfair. Just because the rest of the tour was more hardcore friendly shouldn't disqualify the show. You have to be a little realistic--the CP concert was a free benefit concert webcasted live all over the world...they weren't going to come out and play Last Stop, Dreaming Tree and other more obscure songs...it was going to be a greatest hits friendly set. Knowing that, they still did an awesome job catering to the mainstream audience but still throwing us a bone with Cortez, Rhyme, Help Myself (which btw might be also one of the best versions ever) and mixing up the slots. Ants/Two Step midset just wasn't a thing back then especially long mid-set Two Steps.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #199
batleon

It's not a bad show. Nobody's saying that. I don't see anybody here (except maybe Tomacco?) putting it down for not having the rarities either. Rarities are not some prerequisite for a "Top 3 show ever" IMO. All we are saying is that there are plenty of shows that are even better than CP. Doesn't mean the show is bad or insignificant somehow.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:18 AM   #200
mja271

I haven't listened to enough shows to say where CP falls all time, but I think performance wise it's just a fantastic show. Great crowd energy the band clearly feeds off and nails most of the performances. The back half of the show loses a bit of steam for me, but through Two Step it's just on fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc