These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #21
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
I stopped stealing music after Oink went down, so I never got on What -- amazing they lasted as long as they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

If something does fill that void and someone finds it please let me know...
there was so much awesome stuff on here... fuck
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #23
batleon

Damn that sucks. Though I admit that I haven't used it much recently. I think the last couple of times that I did it was to get DMB bonus/Warehouse discs in lossless
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:50 AM   #24
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

the last album I downloaded was the new Metallica album... I bet Lars had something to do with this...
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #25
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I buy vinyl occasionally; and also music from people I've seen live who aren't wildly popular, but that's about it.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #26
Tomacco

This is going to sound like some serious excuse-making for stealing music, but the fact is that what.cd has actually made me GIVE bands so much money I otherwise wouldn't have. Albums I've downloaded off that site have led to me buying them on Vinyl and seeing them in concert, more times than I can count.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #27
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
This is going to sound like some serious excuse-making for stealing music, but the fact is that what.cd has actually made me GIVE bands so much money I otherwise wouldn't have. Albums I've downloaded off that site have led to me buying them on Vinyl and seeing them in concert, more times than I can count.
Without question.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #28
greykitkat36

I've been using Spotify the last couple of years to discover new music, but what I'll miss about what mainly is being able to get stuff quickly before they're released. Livephish shows were up like literally 30 min after the show, and WH discs and Live Traxs would show up on the shipping date. the leaks will be missed most.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #29
greykitkat36

Quote:
Yup. I really feel like artists need to embrace this rather than fight against it. Piracy and downloading is the future and it's not going away. People will find new ways to keep it moving.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #30
gweeps

What.cd was always great for rarer stuff/music I didn't actually want to buy but still wanted around.

I never could keep a good enough ratio there though. Uploading was always hard as hell.

I've gone back to buying CDs. I also buy a lot of digital music.

You folks are right about this avenue of acquiring music leading to later purchasing it in various ways. At some point you want to hold something in your hands or have an experience that isn't just you at a computer. (That's what she said.)
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:54 PM   #31
Mitch

Ugh, so I might have to actually buy the Dave's Picks annual subscription??That's annoying b/c they don't even sell digital downloads of those and I don't even want physical discs anymore.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:53 PM   #32
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Ugh, so I might have to actually buy the Dave's Picks annual subscription??That's annoying b/c they don't even sell digital downloads of those and I don't even want physical discs anymore.

That's a good point, too. Most machines don't even come with CD drives anymore.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #33
JWood

I'm still a physical disc kinda guy, but have always liked to have the early access from sites like What while I'm waiting for my discs to arrive.

LT40 is a perfect example, decided to not pay the extra $78 (or whatever it was) for guaranteed arrival on release date because I could pick it up on there on release date (hopefully). That backfired...
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #34
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Man, the site ops at waffles must be working overtime to get their servers back up. This would be like if the feds shut down myspace and they are Friendster. "Mortimer, we're back!"

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #35
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

guess I'm gonna have to download kazzaa again
Old 11-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #36
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

I can't believe this. That beautiful library is gone forever.
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #37
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
This is probably more accurate than artists would like to believe. I feel like a lot of people buy the music they're going to buy and d/l the rest. That may open their eyes to an artist and lead them to open their wallet down the road. IMHO shutting these sites down isn't going to have the desired effect. People aren't going to start buying Artist X's music, they just aren't going to listen to it. It's not like people are holding all this cash. Budgets are budgets for 20-40 year olds.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #38
JWood

I have become a bit of an audiophile snob over the years as well. And with some outlets not selling lossless digital downloads in the U.S. (i.e. Qobuz), that really bums me out that my only choice now is Amazon or iTunes MP3s.

I am also a completist when it comes to my music collection. Some bands love to throw b-sides, alternate takes, mixes, etc. on singles and bonus discs that are not easy to obtain (unless you resort to eBay, which defeats the whole purpose of shutting down sites like this). And then there's my favorite bands like Zeppelin or the Stones that have had multiple remasters, pressings, etc. over the years for albums that were first released 40+ years ago... there's no way to get those albums anymore, so this was a great avenue for discontinued releases like this. And yes, I currently have 19 versions of Led Zeppelin I in my iTunes library.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #40
Tomacco

I was never a waffles member, never got an invite and because of whatcd, never really needed one. Was this site similar to What? Would love to find a way in once it comes back.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc