These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 AM   #41
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
So your introduction to DMB was through D&T? Interesting.
I've seen a couple of people mention this on here over the last few years. I guess it makes sense if they got into them in the late 90's or so. It's definitely an interesting, and pretty cool, way to first get into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post
To me this year was such a big part of my youth and the year I got hooked on the band. It was so fun to see what was going on and not even realizing how big things might get.
Yeah, my wife and I still marvel sometimes when we're at huge shows how this is the same band we first saw at a small theater in Florida. Never really thought at that time that they'd become the beast they are now.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #42
mjf

Quote:
So far this thread is one of the best threads that has happened in awhile, not bashing other threads, I just think this is an outstanding one that is informational and entertaining at the same time. To me this year was such a big part of my youth and the year I got hooked on the band. It was so fun to see what was going on and not even realizing how big things might get.
One of my high school teachers was a student at UVA from '90-'94. She laughed when I asked how many times she had seen them live and said "almost weekly". She said the same thing though, that she didn't imagine at the time just how big they would get. Pretty cool stuff.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #43
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
One of my high school teachers was a student at UVA from '90-'94. She laughed when I asked how many times she had seen them live and said "almost weekly". She said the same thing though, that she didn't imagine at the time just how big they would get. Pretty cool stuff.
That is great. This thread has been pretty cool for hearing stories of how people got back into DMB. I luckily got into DMB back in 93 because my sister played a college softball trip in Virginia and on their night out went out a heard a local band, DMB. Someone was passing out cassette tapes to people there and she got one, brought it back to me because she thought I might like it. She had no idea that she was 10 feet away from a band that would make it that big.
wiebrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #44
Mitch

Quote:
That is great. This thread has been pretty cool for hearing stories of how people got back into DMB. I luckily got into DMB back in 93 because my sister played a college softball trip in Virginia and on their night out went out a heard a local band, DMB. Someone was passing out cassette tapes to people there and she got one, brought it back to me because she thought I might like it. She had no idea that she was 10 feet away from a band that would make it that big.
That's very cool. How old were you then? Do you remember what the tape was?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #45
wiebrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
That's very cool. How old were you then? Do you remember what the tape was?
Almost a 100% positive it was 1-19-93. I was 13 years old back then. My sister brought the tape home because she thought they were ok, but she wasn't into music that much and thought I would like it. I remember being hooked immediately and using the "old school" internet to find whatever I could about them. Then began the days of spending so much money of tapes and postage.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #46
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

12/07/93 also has an all-time great Nature intro to billies.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #47
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Yeah def digging these old stories, keep em coming!
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
12/07/93 also has an all-time great Nature intro to billies.
Such a great Nancies too.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #49
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
In my efforts to expand my knowledge of the band, I started listening to every available show from ’92 through the pioneering ’93 year. Unlike many of you guys, who have been with this band since the early going; I am a fan that arrived late to the party, so I wanted to experience the early stages of this thing the way so many others have. Be it my love for the band and its music, or my deep appreciation for the history of just about anything… I have found this challenge to be quite rewarding. To witness the transformation of a bar-gig band into what we’ve all come to know and love, is worth it. I will most likely never follow through with this by listening to EVERY show in chronological order over the past 20 years (Thememan you are a crazier motherfucker than I…), but I highly recommend giving this a go.

I wish a lot more fans who came aboard in the later years had this mentality.

Quote:

March of ‘93 is where I really began to notice a shift in the band’s mentality from “Hey we could really have some fun with this” to “Hey we really might have something truly special.” And it happened astonishingly fast. This is most analogous with these performances:

The Dueling Banjos/2001: Space Odyssey Ants performance from 03/01/1993, where they were throwing pieces together because… well… I guess just because they could. And it was awesome. And this is something that they still maintain success in.

The band was growing. They wanted to hone in on a defined sound. They had already begun tweeking existing material. The R&R from 03/16 features a completely different rhythm from Carter, one that, when familiar with its final state as well as earlier recordings , definitely stands out. That same show features a 20:00+ Jimi Thing > Typical Situation, an amazing Angel From Montgomery, and a BWBF closer that is a gem.

That same month also saw a shift in personnel. Peter’s last show was on 03/23. This was also the last time #34 had been played until 2005.
Great points. I think one defining moment for DMB early on was 3/24/93. It was the very next show after Peter's departure. Now, of course Peter wasn't as integral to the band's sound as say obviously Dave, or Boyd or Carter, but they played that show as if he (peter) never even existed. They didn't try to cover up any missing pieces or over-extend themselves in solos or jams to make up for a missing instrument. They just kept playing and it all sounded the same minus keys and some cheesy effects. I guess some could say the band benefited from Peter leaving. It allowed their true rooted sound to blossom and open up with more freedom without being confined with those backings Peter laid down which for the most part didn't do very much. Of course, there are a few things he did that I enjoy and we can't deny some of his credits like People People and SMTS.

Quote:

Other notable performances (not listed in Mitch's post):

Spoiler:

12/01/93: Emotional Say Goodbye

11/09/93: Charlottesville RTT Release Party. Last time played- Heithcliff’s Haiku Warriors. VERY fast show.

11/02/93: mixed show: Dave solo & full band. Carter’s ‘22nd’ birthday. Awesome Jimi > TypSitch

09/08/93: Billies – AWESOME Nature Intro

09/03/93: Doobie Thing. TypSitch – Mary had a little lamb interp

07/07/93: (no Stefan again) Tri-Poetics guesting.

07/06/93: (no Stefan at this show) Recently – pretty pretty girl interp.
Warehouse is solid. Drum solo> Halloween.

06/24/93: Recently – half time jam.

05/19/93: Dave Solo first few songs. Redemption Song. Recently – Dave’s part in jam is different

02/25/93: The infamous “you wanna fuck me in the ass?” Frat boy Dave blow up

02/17/93: Debut #34 w/words

02/09/93: SMTS- good Peter harmonica intro. Rhyme and Reason – early alternate lyrics. good Recently. Cool little jam going into TypSitch

02/06/93: Granny-starts on 2nd verse, Roi heavy LIOG
All great shows. Also if no one has heard it, check out Halloween from 6/26/93. Talk about a throat splitting scream from Dave. Holy shit.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #50
wiebrod

Quote:

Great points. I think one defining moment for DMB early on was 3/24/93. It was the very next show after Peter's departure. Now, of course Peter wasn't as integral to the band's sound as say obviously Dave, or Boyd or Carter, but they played that show as if he (peter) never even existed. They didn't try to cover up any missing pieces or over-extend themselves in solos or jams to make up for a missing instrument. They just kept playing and it all sounded the same minus keys and some cheesy effects. I guess some could say the band benefited from Peter leaving. It allowed their true rooted sound to blossom and open up with more freedom without being confined with those backings Peter laid down which for the most part didn't do very much. Of course, there are a few things he did that I enjoy and we can't deny some of his credits like People People and SMTS.

All great shows. Also if no one has heard it, check out Halloween from 6/26/93. Talk about a throat splitting scream from Dave. Holy shit.
I agree with everything you said about the 3/24 show. I truly think the band did benefit from him leaving for the most part. I believe his departure actually let more of the natural sound for the band come out.

As small as it is, some of the funniest things that came out during the early years was how much talking other members of the band did in between songs. For example the 4-2-93 show when they were giving Boyd crap about going to Africa before Tripping Billies.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #51
Mitch

Quote:

I think one defining moment for DMB early on was 3/24/93.
I think this is a great point. People often talk about the 3/23 "Big League Chew" show, but 3/24 is actually more significant in the band's evolution. But 3/23 had a cute name.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #52
Fan#41

Exactly. 3/23/93 was the most "famous" show in the trading community back in the day and while there are some good performances from the show, I wouldn't even put it in a top 10 from that year. I mean it's an important show in the band's history but as you said 3/24 was so much more significant.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:35 PM   #53
brian3641

Big League Chew is obviously a great show but I always thought it was a bit overrated. My favorite March 93 show is 3.16.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #54
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Big League Chew is obviously a great show but I always thought it was a bit overrated. My favorite March 93 show is 3.16.
3/27 is also a fun little show.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #55
mjf

Quote:
Almost a 100% positive it was 1-19-93. I was 13 years old back then. My sister brought the tape home because she thought they were ok, but she wasn't into music that much and thought I would like it. I remember being hooked immediately and using the "old school" internet to find whatever I could about them. Then began the days of spending so much money of tapes and postage.
I got in on B&Ps/trading at the tail end of this community doing them after my first show early in '03. I did em for years before with other bands though. I miss those days

I miss appreciating getting a show as much as I did back then. I remember when I finally found/got those '97 D&T soundboards in the mail being pumped. I appreciated them almost as if the band had released em. I remember updating my dmbexhange list constantly too

Nowadays I download shit that I usually never even get around to listening to more than a few tracks of.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #56
Fan#41

dmbexchange.com
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #57
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I got in on B&Ps/trading at the tail end of this community doing them after my first show early in '03. I did em for years before with other bands though. I miss those days

I miss appreciating getting a show as much as I did back then. I remember when I finally found/got those '97 D&T soundboards in the mail being pumped. I appreciated them almost as if the band had released em. I remember updating my dmbexhange list constantly too

Nowadays I download shit that I usually never even get around to listening to more than a few tracks of.
The process of getting in touch with someone that had the show you wanted and getting a trade or B&P was actually quite thrilling. I miss it. And nothing was better than when that package came in the mail.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #58
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
The process of getting in touch with someone that had the show you wanted and getting a trade or B&P was actually quite thrilling. I miss it. And nothing was better than when that package came in the mail.
Yeah people definitely hooked me up in the beginning more than other communities I had traded in too. I remember some girl sent me the entire fall '96 tour for free. Not even as a B&P. Pretty cool stuff
Old 08-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #59
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

I could listen to this Recently all day.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #60
gweeps

Roi is incredible on this Lie in our Graves from 3/16/93.
[Only registered users can see links.]
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc