These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
mario

"How Music Fans Built the Internet" - A fascinating article about "us"

[Only registered users can see links.]

Yes, it's long. But it is amazing for us to read. There are so many different sections that scream out to all of us.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry

Long interesting article.
I think internet & music today is a fascinating topic.

Sometimes I miss these B+P days. Exploring .. discovering new music. The rarity of listening to shows. Nowadays people can get music wherever they want.

I think a lot of the passion for music disappeared. It's sad.
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschakobi View Post

I think a lot of the passion for music disappeared. It's sad.

Absolutely. The lack of effort to hear music led to lack of value for music led to lack of expectations for music led to most of the problems with music today.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Absolutely. The lack of effort to hear music led to lack of value for music led to lack of expectations for music led to most of the problems with music today.
well said.
It's kinda crazy people not really talking about this topic.
This band also still plays fantastic music (at least live) but my excitement for their (and many others) music got somehow lost.

All the youtube, spotify, webcast, etc. offers make it "overloaded".
I remember for example the Central Park webcast.. the excitement on the forums... the live discussions... etc.

I'm not one of these guys who says "everything was better in the past" but I really don't like how music industry and "24/7 music all around access" has developed over the last 10 years.
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Bluewater34
Is Old

Patton Oswalt wrote a fantastic piece about exactly what you guys are talking about several years ago. I still return to it probably once a year when my thoughts drift in that direction.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 07-20-2018, 01:32 AM   #6
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschakobi View Post
well said.
It's kinda crazy people not really talking about this topic.
This band also still plays fantastic music (at least live) but my excitement for their (and many others) music got somehow lost.

All the youtube, spotify, webcast, etc. offers make it "overloaded".
I remember for example the Central Park webcast.. the excitement on the forums... the live discussions... etc.

I'm not one of these guys who says "everything was better in the past" but I really don't like how music industry and "24/7 music all around access" has developed over the last 10 years.
The Central Park webcast was like the second ever DMB live webcast. This summer alone we've had two. Plus multiple audio webcasts live. Exposure makes all the difference. Can't expect to feel the same way about something when it becomes commonplace. There's something to be said about moderation and small doses. Hard to come by these days.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
dmblaststop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
The Central Park webcast was like the second ever DMB live webcast. This summer alone we've had two. Plus multiple audio webcasts live. Exposure makes all the difference. Can't expect to feel the same way about something when it becomes commonplace. There's something to be said about moderation and small doses. Hard to come by these days.
so true. I started in the Maxell days. Years later I would be downloading entire years at a time and would consume entire tours, but my favorite shows still are some of those early shows I had traded for. I would listen to those all the time because they were all I had. Just consuming as fast I could download killed that aspect of it for me.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I feel like the increased availability has also increased my love of music, because I now have access to find artists and shows I'd otherwise never have been able to hear unless the local radio station played them.

You guys arguing that it should be "back to the old days" are insane.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:15 AM   #9
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #10
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I feel like the increased availability has also increased my love of music, because I now have access to find artists and shows I'd otherwise never have been able to hear unless the local radio station played them.

Did you read the excerpt? Because you're missing the point. It's about community and relationships intertwined with music.

You're just talking about having Spotify algorithmicly play you an artist it thinks you'll like.

I'd much rather have a friend hand me a CD and say "you've gotta check this out, " listen to it, talk about it with them... than get ten Spotify "artists you'll also like"

Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #11
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
Did you read the excerpt? Because you're missing the point. It's about community and relationships intertwined with music.

You're just talking about having Spotify algorithmicly play you an artist it thinks you'll like.

I'd much rather have a friend hand me a CD and say "you've gotta check this out, " listen to it, talk about it with them... than get ten Spotify "artists you'll also like"

I’m not talking about Spotify, I don’t have any of those services. I hear about new bands from places like this. Not a bad community. But without the availability of shows on things like etree and the archive and dime, I’d have listened to so much less music. I don’t trust any of my non-internet friends musical opinions, they’re all awful.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #12
mario

!!!!! Jason!

That's the point. Those websites are allowing you to get by without finding and befriending other people with good musical opinions.

That's the community that no longer exists

Old 07-25-2018, 02:40 AM   #13
greykitkat36

I think weíre in a really strange time in the music industry. I think itís in a major transition stage. Access is easier than ever and the ability to create and make high quality music and videos are incredibly easy and affordable to the everyday person. Because of that music has become incredibly devalued

But I have strong faith that something, someone, or some wild idea will eventually change everything and bring back the value of music and it will be forever changed, I just donít think itís happened yet.

Record companies are scrambling trying to get into every ounce of streaming services which are clearly part of the future, but I also think that thereís a huge uncertainty of wheee everything is headed.

On top of that, what happens when the Springsteenís, DMBs, U2s etc die off? Who will be performing these big venues and keeping touring alive at that huge level? Do you really see Taylor Swift bring able to play these kind of venues 10+ years from now? I donít, and I really donít see any new up and coming bands that will be able to take over that major maninstream crowd..I guess Mayer will be able to, but not many. Due to devaluation of music, itís hard for new artists to rise to any big level of popularity.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #14
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Quote:
!!!!! Jason!

That's the point. Those websites are allowing you to get by without finding and befriending other people with good musical opinions.

That's the community that no longer exists
Fuck those people, I don't have time for them and their pretentious bullshit. I'll listen to Taylor Swift and I'll like it.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 07-30-2018, 12:47 AM   #15
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I think we’re in a really strange time in the music industry. I think it’s in a major transition stage. Access is easier than ever and the ability to create and make high quality music and videos are incredibly easy and affordable to the everyday person. Because of that music has become incredibly devalued

But I have strong faith that something, someone, or some wild idea will eventually change everything and bring back the value of music and it will be forever changed, I just don’t think it’s happened yet.

Record companies are scrambling trying to get into every ounce of streaming services which are clearly part of the future, but I also think that there’s a huge uncertainty of wheee everything is headed.

On top of that, what happens when the Springsteen’s, DMBs, U2s etc die off? Who will be performing these big venues and keeping touring alive at that huge level? Do you really see Taylor Swift bring able to play these kind of venues 10+ years from now? I don’t, and I really don’t see any new up and coming bands that will be able to take over that major maninstream crowd..I guess Mayer will be able to, but not many. Due to devaluation of music, it’s hard for new artists to rise to any big level of popularity.
I'm of the belief that another musical revolution will happen again. I think music is cyclical and we will experience another explosion in the future. Who knows when it will happen though. Good mainstream music didn't die in the 90's. It will come back again.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #16
Christopher James

Quote:

..implying you have friends, amirite?
Old 07-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #17
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

I used to be so excited getting those B&Ps in the mail and listening to each disc as if it was a new official release

Now I have over 2TB of music, of which I've probably only actually listened to 10% of times sure have changed
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #18
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I used to be so excited getting those B&Ps in the mail and listening to each disc as if it was a new official release

Now I have over 2TB of music, of which I've probably only actually listened to 10% of times sure have changed
very well said. I still remember getting 3.23.93 as by first B&P back in the day and the excitement that came with it, along with the other shows that I received in my B&Ps. Bit torrent will never replace that.

I also feel that 3.23.93 (as amazing of a show as it was in its own right) wouldn't have been so popular of a show (pretty much legendary status), had it not been the fact that it was spread so much through B&Ps. It was many DMB fan's first chance to hear their live sound.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc