These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2018, 06:36 AM   #701
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

How your home could generate, store and sell energy [Only registered users can see links.]

Cool article and it demonstrated where I figured (and ggies assured us) the energy sector is going.

5 or so years ago Dad put in a geothermal system on his property which has cut his energy costs by some 60% already. A month ago we burned the enormous burn pile (one of 3 on the property) that we’d amassed on top of the land where the geothermal system was buried in order to make room for his new solar panel system (Powerwall in the works). Sounds like a brag, but I’m really excited to be part of this movement to what I believe is the future of the grid. He’s already being credited for the 3 times a week his house switches itself to his industrial generator and plans to be paid for pumping unused stored energy back into the grid.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #702
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
How your home could generate, store and sell energy [Only registered users can see links.]

Cool article and it demonstrated where I figured (and ggies assured us) the energy sector is going.

5 or so years ago Dad put in a geothermal system on his property which has cut his energy costs by some 60% already. A month ago we burned the enormous burn pile (one of 3 on the property) that wed amassed on top of the land where the geothermal system was buried in order to make room for his new solar panel system (Powerwall in the works). Sounds like a brag, but Im really excited to be part of this movement to what I believe is the future of the grid. Hes already being credited for the 3 times a week his house switches itself to his industrial generator and plans to be paid for pumping unused stored energy back into the grid.
Excellent and great to hear!
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #703
ggies
Sugar Will '04

[Only registered users can see links.]

Nice blog giving a summary of what's going on with our energy transition and what will happen.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #704
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another real world data point.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #705
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Showing deep down that Tesla is an energy company:

Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #706
ggies
Sugar Will '04

It's official!

Old 07-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #707
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This is fucking depressing....sigh...

Quote:
Air pollution and emissions

OVERTURNED

1. Canceled a requirement for oil and gas companies to report methane emissions.

2. Loosened a Clinton-era rule designed to limit toxic emissions from major industrial polluters.

3. Directed agencies to stop using an Obama-era calculation of the “social cost of carbon” that rulemakers used to estimate the long-term economic benefits of reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

4. Revoked a 2015 rule that prohibited the use of hydrofluorocarbons – powerful greenhouse gases – as a replacement for ozone-depleting substances.

5. Repealed a requirement that state and regional authorities track tailpipe emissions from vehicles traveling on federal highways.
Transportation Department

6. Withdrew guidance for federal agencies to include greenhouse gas emissions in environmental reviews. (But several district courts have ruled that emissions must be included in such reviews.)
Quote:
Drilling and extraction

OVERTURNED

19. Lifted a freeze on new coal leases on public lands.

20. Opened nearly all of America’s coastal waters to offshore oil and gas drilling.

21. Made significant cuts to the borders of two national monuments in Utah and recommended border and resource management changes to several more.

22. Revoked an Obama-era executive order protecting ocean, coastal and Great Lakes waters in favor of a policy focused on energy production and economic growth.

23. Rescinded water pollution regulations for fracking on federal and Indian lands.

24. Repealed an Obama-era rule governing royalties for oil, gas and coal leases on federal lands, which replaced a 1980s rule that critics said allowed companies to underpay the federal government.

25. Scrapped a proposed rule that mines prove they can pay to clean up future pollution.

26. Withdrew a requirement that Gulf oil rig owners prove they can cover the costs of removing rigs once they have stopped producing.

27. Approved the Keystone XL pipeline rejected by President Barack Obama. Environmental groups and some Nebraska landowners opposed the pipeline and legal challenges remain.

28. Approved the Dakota Access pipeline blocked by the Obama administration following protests at Standing Rock over concerns that the pipline poses a risk to the region's drinking water.

29. Reversed how the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission considers the indirect effects of greenhouse gas emissions in environmental reviews of pipeline
Old 07-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #708
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This is a great summary from Katherine Hayhoe on the most recent climate assessment - NCA4, Part I.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #709
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This is what happens when you have uneducated people running governments and who are addicted to oil.

Quote:
On July 3, 2018, Ontario cancelled the cap and trade program as part of its commitment to bring gas prices down by 10 cents a litre and help reduce costs for Ontario families and businesses by $1.9 billion dollars per year.

The right approach to saving money on transportation is switching to EVs that rely on renewable energy. Instead, this is a very short-term fix that keeps the public slaved to volatile gas prices.

Now ask yourself, why would they need to bring gas prices down 10 cents to begin with? hmmm.......

There's a simple fix - EVs, solar, wind, battery storage.

I'll post this book again, because if you haven't read it yet, you need to:

Old 07-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #710
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Interesting to see this:

Quote:
The announcement comes after ExxonMobil opposed a draft ALEC resolution last year that encouraged the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to challenge its science-based endangerment finding that requires agency action on greenhouse gas emissions.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #711
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
This is fucking depressing....sigh...

I got a kick out of this one. Save the trees!

43. Restricted Interior Department environmental studies to one year in length and a maximum of 150 pages, citing the need to reduce paperwork.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:12 AM   #712
gweeps

Look what else is going bye bye today:

Jesus.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #713
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I got a kick out of this one. Save the trees!

43. Restricted Interior Department environmental studies to one year in length and a maximum of 150 pages, citing the need to reduce paperwork.
yes.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #714
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Nice summary of what's going on:

Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM   #715
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Old 07-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #716
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Oh the irony....

Old 07-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #717
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Vitols commitment is the latest in a growing roster of fossil-fuel-centric companies showing confidence in clean energy through financial commitments.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #718
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So I posted these photos on 10.12.16 to show you what Tesla's plan was with battery storage in a distributed energy system.

Well, their plan is slowly coming to fruition and showing results:

Quote:
Right now, knocking down the peaks is the big advantage, but as we move ahead there will be more, things like regulation service, balancing solar intermittency,” he said. “You can use them like a generator, like a load, like a voltage source – you can do a lot with battery storage that we haven’t had flexibility to do in the past.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which brings me to this article:

The old, dirty, centralized energy grid is just not useful anymore. To really protect ourselves, we must have locally producing energy (rooftop & commercial solar) + wind + battery storage.

If we move to a distributed energy system, then we can prevent even the idea of attacking our grid.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #719
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Another data point to show the progress Tesla is making in the market. This is without them releasing the $35k version...which I'm still waiting on....imagine next year.....

Old 07-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #720
Feathered
oh shit!

i've never owned a car (filthy new yorker who hasnt ever had a need for one) but I have to admit the Model 3 makes me really wish i had a reason to get one.

Last edited by MaLaKaS; 07-31-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Feathered is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc