Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Anyone want it spoiler free?
I don't need it that way, fwiw
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #422
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I'm finishing up 6.17.04 tonight and will post my review. I'll catch up on the other shows quickly. No worries. My reviews may have to be shorter though (as opposed to the song-by-song breakdown that I normally do) until I am caught up. The past few months have been crazy and I never thought I would have gotten this far behind. But things are getting easier again, so I should have no problem keeping up with this going forward.
No worries, thanks for keeping this thing going over the years, been a while since I participated
batleon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #423
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Dave Matthews Band
UMB Bank Pavilion
Maryland Heights, MO

Too Much – You can really hear Butch up front in this mix. As with the 2003 tour opener, this is a fun energetic song to kick off a summer tour.
Granny – This song is always great in the early spots (any spot really, but especially in the beginning of shows). The song just makes you happy and really gets you ready for the remainder of the show.
Gas Into Fire --> – I’ve always really liked this little improvisation. I’m glad that management finally put it onto a Warehouse disc years later.
What Would You Say – Wow! What a nice 1-2-3 combo start so far. The energy keeps on coming. WWYS is always a fun song.
Rhyme & Reason – Always a solid choice. Man, this show is on fire so far! The band is really feeling it.
Joy Ride – Here we go! The first new song of the 2004 batch. This song definitely evolved throughout the summer of 2004, as this first performance did not contain strong lyrics yet. However, the music was there. I’m not a fan of this performance, but I loved what they did with this song by the end of the summer.
When The World Ends – Standard. This song was really overplayed by the time 2004 rolled around. However, it’s still a good song that really transitioned well live. In 2004, I didn’t like this song because of its overplay, but these days I don’t feel so strongly about that.
I Did It – Now here’s a live rarity (LOL)! I think Boyd messed up his lines in the song though (It’s only a brief 2 lines Boyd……).
Warehouse – The woos were in full effect by 2004 (I never liked them and thought that they were obnoxious, but the band encouraged them. Warehouse is always a solid choice for a concert and it’s a top 3 DMB song overall. I adore this song. Great performance!
Crazy-Easy – This has always been my favorite 2004 song. I know many people love this debut performance as well. Solid performance with great lyrics! I’m not sure if this is my favorite performance of the song (7.16.04 Hartford may be my favorite version), but it’s definitely a top contender though. I adore this song as well.
Grey Street – Meh. I’m one of those “3rd verse guys”, so the song was never the same for me after that ill-fated Conan performance. At least the song was slower paced and not DMB 3.0 back in 2004 though. Unfortunately, I only like 2000-2002 performances.
Crush – It was nice to hear Leroi bust out the flute on this performance.
Hello Again – I’m not going to lie. This was a rough debut performance. This song evolved into a monster by the end of the summer, but this one was a challenge to get through. I’m not hating on it though, as I really love this song.
Drive In Drive Out – This is always a solid choice. DIDO is such a fun song that I wouldn’t mind getting at any show that I attend. It’s pure classic DMB. The extended intro was interesting to catch on this version as well.
Grace Is Gone – I liked Stefan’s slide intro on this one. Nice hoedown outro on this performance too!
Help Myself – I’ve always really liked this song. It’s a classic DMB rarity that is always a pleasure to hear. Boyd played his part correctly on this one, which is always a treat too
PNP --> Rapunzel – Always a solid set closer back in those days.
---------------------------------------------------
Sugar Will – I liked Stefan’s prelude before they debuted the song. As with both “Joyride” and “Hello Again”, this performance is more bare bones than what we are used to from later in that summer. Roi was still trying to figure out his parts. You can hear slight traces of the jam at the very end as well. However, that riff sure is hypnotic, isn’t it? I can listen to that melody all day.
Stay – Standard, but a good way to close out this fun show.

Recap:
All in all, I really enjoyed listening to this show. The band entered the 2004 summer tour with ferocity and energy. They took a big risk in debuting four new songs that night, not knowing whether or not the fans would like or dislike them. The only time afterwards that I can recall the band doing this was for the 5.7.16 25th Anniversary Cville show. It was really interesting to be reminded again of these first performances for the 2004 batch, as I was used to hearing their later and more evolved renditions from that summer. Besides the new song debuts, the band also performed their legacy songs very well too. The band sounded very tight in that era and it really shows.

Would I want to this show to be released? To be honest, I don’t think it is necessary. We have official live releases and bonus disc/warehouse selections from later in that summer, with the new songs more evolved. Since the 2004 tour didn’t break into the song catalog too deeply that year, most of the legacy DMB songs are on other 2004 releases as well.

With that being said, this is still a very interesting show for both the band and the fanbase. We saw glimmers of hope with that batch of songs. DMB was finally getting past the Everyday era and heading into that direction of their older style again. These four songs looked to be a promising base for a nice new studio album. Unfortunately, that never did come to fruition and we all know the ending to this story.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #424
sean52692
You failed this band

Excellent review, man! I agree with just about all of your assessments regarding 6/17. Your reviews are always on point.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #425
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Excellent review, man! I agree with just about all of your assessments regarding 6/17. Your reviews are always on point.
Thanks! More coming soon.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:10 PM   #426
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Anybody want to listen to 8/11/95 with me? Haven't touched that one in a while and I've been listening to a lot of '94 and '95 and want to listen to some more.
About a month behind. I've got this one downloaded on my phone and I'll be listening sometime this week. Love this show.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #427
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
About a month behind. I've got this one downloaded on my phone and I'll be listening sometime this week. Love this show.
Geez I listened to the show that week and forgot to write about it

Maybe I'll listen to it again
batleon is online now   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc