These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #121
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
Yeah, I think they're just feeling #41 for whatever reason, which is great by me. I'd love to see them open with it or put it in the encore more often.
This seems right. When it was just the opener it seemed plausable, but then with it being e1 as well, I think it was just a councidence.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #122
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Is jeff playing flute at all on 41 these days? really loved when 41 had a sax and flute solo.

With Boyd out, I think it should be Tim and then Jeff on Flute/Sax to bring it home.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:26 PM   #123
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

People like the Bushes nowadays?
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #124
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Is jeff playing flute at all on 41 these days? really loved when 41 had a sax and flute solo.

With Boyd out, I think it should be Tim and then Jeff on Flute/Sax to bring it home.
Canít stand that thereís no sax solo on 41 anymore, if absolutely needs it. Just not the same without it. No idea why they moved away from jt
Old 12-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #125
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

They're absolutely not the same band I fell in love with. Last night was my 61st show.. the crowd was by far the worst ever.... People were sitting when Dave walked on stage it was pathetic...

I'm not sold yet going to give it another shot Friday in Boston.
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #126
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

I do have to say in my opinion last night's Come On Come On was one of the best I've heard
Old 12-05-2018, 02:44 PM   #127
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenThings View Post
They're absolutely not the same band I fell in love with. Last night was my 61st show.. the crowd was by far the worst ever.... People were sitting when Dave walked on stage it was pathetic...

Where were you sitting? I thought the crowd was very into it on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #128
patsfan39

This feels wild to say but only 10 (5 dmb) shows have had BOWA, Warehouse, Seek Up and #41.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 12-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #129
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Where were you sitting? I thought the crowd was very into it on the floor.
Scooped up three tickets for under $100 last minute in section 202...
Old 12-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #130
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:

Boston will be much better.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #131
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Had a good time at the show. Some random jumbled thoughts on the show.

First thing, Soul Coughing's Ruby Vroom album as the house music was fucking awesome.

This was the quietest, softest, most careful intro to Seek Up I've ever seen or heard. Rashawn and Jeff using the effects (carrying that over from the summer tour) add such a nice touch. Jeff was great on BOWA. This was one of the better Rapunzels I've seen or heard from these guys in at least 10 years. I haven't heard 'em all over the last decade, but the bulk of the performances have been sloppy, messy, forcefully loud, etc... This had such a steady anc concise build and I've always loved when Carter can do something as simple as rhythmically mimic Dave's vocal delivery on the snare and Dave totally feeds off that with high energetic excitement which is exactly what happened on that Rapunzel.

Saw Buddy blowing kisses to some girls in the front of the pit...we could be looking at Butch part 2 here... Pretty soon DMB is just gonna have to stop hiring vag-crushing keyboardists. I'm still not thrilled at what Buddy is doing on Warehouse and a few other tunes but taking Boyd's part of climbing that crescendo for Dave's wail...Buddy totally nails it and it's very pleasing to the ears, also really liked his solo on Funny.

Was hoping Jimi would take a break from the fall tour but oh well. I didn't mind getting both those covers, though halfway through Sledgehammer Dave looked exhausted. The voice was just starting to slip a bit at that point which is why I was surprised they decided to stick with #41 on the set. I have a feeling Buddy must've given Dave some kind of confidence booster during the encore because after Dave's fallsetto parts, he looked over at Buddy and Buddy sort gave him a "hey, you didn't nail it, but everything is still fine" look and Dave smiled while continuing to sing. I thought that was a really cool moment.

Dave's vocal coach perusing the pit for pussy like he did during the summer shows. Not sure if anyone else notice Dave cringing during Crash when he got to the
"hike up your skirt" line and there's even the slightest of hesitations while he sings it. And I don't think for one second that was a result of some teleprompter issue. I don't want to read into it, but it was something I noticed.

Dave sounded really great and looked so confident (even with no guitar and no awkwardness) singing Again And Again, also sang with such passion and confidence on Come On Come On. Got a little nervous during Tim's fantastic 41 solo when I looked over and saw Rashawn talking to Jeff. I thought.."great...let's drown out Tim fucking Reynolds during an amazing solo on #41...awesome...", but you could barely hear Rashawn and Jeff. Just like during the summer, I didn't hear the canned horn arrangements drowning anyone out or forced brass moments. I thought Summer 2018, things started to feel so much more relaxed and open and moments were less foreced and solos progressed much more naturally than they had since maybe 2008.

I'm really happy where DMB is right now in terms of how they sound live. Some songs like Grey St. still seemed a bit clumsy and just sound like a wall of noise, but overall...it was a good summer and this seems to be a solid fall.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:12 PM   #132
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post

Saw Buddy blowing kisses to some girls in the front of the pit...we could be looking at Butch part 2 here... Pretty soon DMB is just gonna have to stop hiring vag-crushing keyboardists.

Dave's vocal coach perusing the pit for pussy like he did during the summer shows.

Also - great news on Rapunzel. This song has been a trainwreck for about a decade. I'll have to check this one out.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #133
Habbs
Organic

So only asexual or homosexual keyboardists allowed?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #134
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbs View Post
So only asexual or homosexual keyboardists allowed?
yeah that's it
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #135
sean52692
You failed this band

Great review, enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Quite agreed on Buddy's playing on Warehouse - pleasing to the ears is a good way to put what he does in the UTTAD intro. Interesting thoughts on Seek Up and Rapunzel that have me excited to take a listen to this tape.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #136
patsfan39

Great summary Brendan. I thought you were spot on about dave he was really into some of the scats and vocal ad libs. I didn’t notice that during crash but interesting.

Quote:
bkdkbbkkddd

Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 AM   #137
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike VDH View Post
Show started strong but faded in the middle. Crowd was VERY weak and quiet - I think the covers and the single heavy back half is due to that and the fact tickets were as low as $22
I thought the crowd was fine in the pit. There were these 4 girls that had to be in HS at best that seemed just as excited to hear Warehouse, Seek Up and BOWA as they were for You and Me and Crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike VDH View Post
I think the covers and the single heavy back half is due to that and the fact tickets were as low as $22
I think there are really two ways to view shows not selling well. You are right I think Dave tends to go to radio songs because he doesn't think the average fan knows the back catalog. I don't think that's true though.

I saw on FB people I went to HS with at the show posting how excited they are to hear #41 and Seek Up. Personally I think at shows like this Dave should go a little more classic DMB to get the place moving.

Remove: BDTH and Sledghammer, do a Nancies > Warehouse
Remove: Funny and DDTW and do #41 > Say Goodbye
Remove: Everyday and do YNK

Do Xmas song as E1 and fix the set for flow and I think you have a reasonable setlist that makes people happy to be there. Plus since it was a low selling show you say thanks for coming out by giving them a few more classic tunes.

It's like the Phish show from 10/31/1998. It was a poor selling show in Utah after a run in Vegas for halloween. So they treated the venue to a special show to say thanks for coming.

I'm not even saying they need to go as far as Phish did either. I think just the changes I mentioned makes this a reasonable show.

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:49 AM   #138
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Canít stand that thereís no sax solo on 41 anymore, if absolutely needs it. Just not the same without it. No idea why they moved away from jt
:shakes head

Quote:

It will never be the band most here fell in love with
Quote:
I do have to say in my opinion last night's Come On Come On was one of the best I've heard
remember even the shitty songs have their best and worse.
Best shit is still worse than worst gold

Quote:
Scooped up three tickets for under $100 last minute in section 202...
tix are crazy cheap all over maybe due to the holidays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Had a good time at the show. Some random jumbled thoughts on the show.

First thing, Soul Coughing's Ruby Vroom album as the house music was fucking awesome.

This was the quietest, softest, most careful intro to Seek Up I've ever seen or heard. Rashawn and Jeff using the effects (carrying that over from the summer tour) add such a nice touch. Jeff was great on BOWA. This was one of the better Rapunzels I've seen or heard from these guys in at least 10 years. I haven't heard 'em all over the last decade, but the bulk of the performances have been sloppy, messy, forcefully loud, etc... This had such a steady anc concise build and I've always loved when Carter can do something as simple as rhythmically mimic Dave's vocal delivery on the snare and Dave totally feeds off that with high energetic excitement which is exactly what happened on that Rapunzel.

Saw Buddy blowing kisses to some girls in the front of the pit...we could be looking at Butch part 2 here... Pretty soon DMB is just gonna have to stop hiring vag-crushing keyboardists. I'm still not thrilled at what Buddy is doing on Warehouse and a few other tunes but taking Boyd's part of climbing that crescendo for Dave's wail...Buddy totally nails it and it's very pleasing to the ears, also really liked his solo on Funny.

Was hoping Jimi would take a break from the fall tour but oh well. I didn't mind getting both those covers, though halfway through Sledgehammer Dave looked exhausted. The voice was just starting to slip a bit at that point which is why I was surprised they decided to stick with #41 on the set. I have a feeling Buddy must've given Dave some kind of confidence booster during the encore because after Dave's fallsetto parts, he looked over at Buddy and Buddy sort gave him a "hey, you didn't nail it, but everything is still fine" look and Dave smiled while continuing to sing. I thought that was a really cool moment.

Dave's vocal coach perusing the pit for pussy like he did during the summer shows. Not sure if anyone else notice Dave cringing during Crash when he got to the
"hike up your skirt" line and there's even the slightest of hesitations while he sings it. And I don't think for one second that was a result of some teleprompter issue. I don't want to read into it, but it was something I noticed.

Dave sounded really great and looked so confident (even with no guitar and no awkwardness) singing Again And Again, also sang with such passion and confidence on Come On Come On. Got a little nervous during Tim's fantastic 41 solo when I looked over and saw Rashawn talking to Jeff. I thought.."great...let's drown out Tim fucking Reynolds during an amazing solo on #41...awesome...", but you could barely hear Rashawn and Jeff. Just like during the summer, I didn't hear the canned horn arrangements drowning anyone out or forced brass moments. I thought Summer 2018, things started to feel so much more relaxed and open and moments were less foreced and solos progressed much more naturally than they had since maybe 2008.

I'm really happy where DMB is right now in terms of how they sound live. Some songs like Grey St. still seemed a bit clumsy and just sound like a wall of noise, but overall...it was a good summer and this seems to be a solid fall.
Nice review
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #139
klillyblad

Added Gortakowski's tape to [Only registered users can see links.] .
Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #140
dmb2much40

thanks for the downloads, Kim. much appreciated.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc