These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #161
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Not necessarily. Sure he needs an appropriate amount of strength in his muscles to perform, but having muscle strength doesn't necessarily equate to muscular endurance or fine motor control. The muscles in the forearms that extend to the wrist, hand, and fingers are pretty special in the fact that the tendons are quite long. They need to be able to smoothly glide with muscular contractions and relaxation. If there is too much muscle bulk in these muscles, they could actually work less efficiently or even compress surrounding structures. Increasing muscular strength also has to be balanced with flexibility, which could be another issue in Boyd's case. Simply practicing the violin regularly wouldn't necessarily correct muscle imbalances. There would have to be some kind of other program followed specifically to address any muscle imbalances or tightness.
Well now you're adding tightness/lack of flexibility to your argument and we don't know his work out regiment per se but he's been noted as doing 4 hours of lifting, meditating and stretching. I mean most people who are in as fit a shape as Boyd know that stretching and proper conditioning is essential. I think you're assuming you know more than he does about his own body.

The fact still remains, no matter much you play the muscle argument, he had worse years before he bulked up. So I don't buy into a lot of your argument. I think some of it makes sense but when you start breaking it down to assumption of lack of flexibility then you're kinda walking on rocky ground 'cuz then you'd have to explain the stretches of shows and runs in the last few years where's been really great vs. a guy who's too stiff and bulky to play his instrument without the proper dexterity.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #162
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Well now you're adding tightness/lack of flexibility to your argument and we don't know his work out regiment per se but he's been noted as doing 4 hours of lifting, meditating and stretching. I mean most people who are in as fit a shape as Boyd know that stretching and proper conditioning is essential. I think you're assuming you know more than he does about his own body.

The fact still remains, no matter much you play the muscle argument, he had worse years before he bulked up. So I don't buy into a lot of your argument. I think some of it makes sense but when you start breaking it down to assumption of lack of flexibility then you're kinda walking on rocky ground 'cuz then you'd have to explain the stretches of shows and runs in the last few years where's been really great vs. a guy who's too stiff and bulky to play his instrument without the proper dexterity.
I think I've been pretty open about my point of view being based on what is possible rather than what is actual. More so than others making arguments here, in fact.

You made the (wrong) assumption that muscular strength would improve muscular endurance. I was simply responding to your post and thought I'd explain a little bit more.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #163
Josh.0

What Brandon said.

Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #164
Josh.0

Quote:
More so than others making arguments here, in fact.
Though you admit it may not be the case with Boyd. In fact, Brandon states a pretty fair argument as to why it is not.

My whole argument has been that he sucks because he doesn't practice and not because he's pumping iron. You've turned it into me challenging your knowledge of how added muscle mass can affect playing (in general). All that I've really said to that is if you're practicing regularly I don't buy that. You even seemed to insinuate that could be true.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #165
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh. View Post
Though you admit it may not be the case with Boyd. In fact, Brandon states a pretty fair argument as to why it is not.

My whole argument has been that he sucks because he doesn't practice and not because he's pumping iron. You've turned it into me challenging your knowledge of how added muscle mass can affect playing (in general). All that I've really said to that is if you're practicing regularly I don't buy that. You even seemed to insinuate that could be true.
So you're making no assumptions about how much Boyd practices?

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #166
Josh.0

I'm making a ton of assumptions about how much he practices. Do you disagree with them?
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #167
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
I'm making a ton of assumptions about how much he practices. Do you disagree with them?
If I did would it matter? How are you to prove an assumption?

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #168
Josh.0

Quote:
If I did would it matter? How are you to prove an assumption?
I figured your six years in the field would at least give you an educated guess.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #169
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
I figured your six years in the field would at least give you an educated guess.
I'm quite comfortable with my perspective on the matter. As I've stated previously, I believe there to be many components as to why Boyd isn't able to consistently perform well, one of the possibilities including muscle hypertrophy, and I'm making far less assumptions than you.

Also, it's six years of study with additional years in the field, but it doesn't surprise me to see your reading comprehension is lacking.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #170
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post

So how does only lack of practicing account for those fluctuations in performance?

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #171
Josh.0

Quote:
So how does only lack of practicing account for those fluctuations in performance?
For the same reason bulkless-Dave manages to have shitty nights. He's just not "with" it, too stoned, or too drunk, and just not as good at playing in general.

Quote:
I'm quite comfortable with my perspective on the matter. As I've stated previously, I believe there to be many components as to why Boyd isn't able to consistently perform well, one of the possibilities including muscle hypertrophy, and I'm making far less assumptions than you.

Also, it's six years of study with additional years in the field, but it doesn't surprise me to see your reading comprehension is lacking.
Ok, so I think he doesn't practice enough, and you think his forearm curls are causing him to suck (despite the fact that he has nights where he's totally "on." Those nights he must just be experiencing sudden recession in 'bulk'). But I'm making the bigger leap of faith. Fair enough.

A reading comprehension jab - ouch! The better jab would have been to call me lazy, because I was too lazy to go back and reread your resume you posted earlier. However, I think you'll be happy to know that a simple minded illiterate doofus such as myself is familiar with kinesthesiology. Apparently my high school had a quality human biology course!

Gotta go to the gym now. Time to ruin my ability to hold a fork.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #172
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
For the same reason bulkless-Dave manages to have shitty nights. He's just not "with" it, too stoned, or too drunk.

Ok, so I think he doesn't practice enough, and you think his forearm curls are causing him to suck (despite the fact that he has nights where he's totally "on." Those nights he must just be experiencing sudden recession in 'bulk'). But I'm making the bigger leap of faith. Fair enough.

A reading comprehension jab - ouch! The better jab would have been to call me lazy, because I was too lazy to go back and reread your resume you posted earlier. However, I think you'll be happy to know that a simple minded illiterate doofus such as myself is familiar with kinesthesiology. Apparently my high school had a quality human biology course!

Gotta go to the gym now. Time to ruin my ability to hold a fork.
I think you tend to forget the previous discussions we've had in this thread, although I guess we'll just contribute that to you being lazy...thanks for the suggestion. Stated previously, increased muscle bulk can actually put pressure on surrounding areas, causing inflammation (or with muscle imbalances and over-use can even cause micro-traumas). The amount of inflammation in soft tissue and joints or small traumas could actually vary, changing its effects on nerves and tendons and thus performance. Still waiting to hear how lack of practicing explains varying performance, although I'm making an educated guess that it will be some vague generalization (that is to say you have an explanation at all, whereas if you don't, I assume you'll be researching your next gif to post when Brandon comes up with something worthwhile of discussion).

Have fun at the gym. I hope you know more about how to do so safely than you present here, because when you end up with an injury, the person who is going to see you through it safely will be someone like me.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #173
Josh.0

I'll keep it simple (it's all I can handle). Why couldn't Dave finish Dreaming Tree during the Gorge '02 performance? Why could he finish it in 2008? The reason you'll come up with is the same reason Boyd can't find his way through tunes the last ten years.

BTW, if you ever need to learn how to document, dictate and view all of the work you do, it'll be someone like me who evaluates and designs workflow solutions for you and your Provider Group(s) and then trains you and your entitled buddies on how to use them. Yikes - better hope you don't draw the short straw, 'cause I'm out there!
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #174
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:
I'll keep it simple (it's all I can handle). Why couldn't Dave finish Dreaming Tree during the Gorge '02 performance? Why could he finish it in 2008? The reason you'll come up with is the same reason Boyd can't find his way through tunes the last ten years.

BTW, if you ever need to learn how to document, dictate and view all of the work you do, it'll be someone like me who evaluates and designs workflow solutions for you and your Provider Group(s) and then trains you and your entitled buddies on how to use them. Yikes - better hope you don't draw the short straw, 'cause I'm out there!
Yeah, because Dave is huge now. You conveniently forget that your claim that Boyd couldn't lose ability due to lifting was proven wrong. He simply maintained that opinion, while impossible to conclude without evaluating Boyd, was possible based on research.

Clearly lack of practice could have played a part as well, and both of you made that point. Other than that just a lot of hyperbole.
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #175
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:

My entitled buddies!

Quote:
Old 02-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #176
dmb1981

Quote:
I'll keep it simple (it's all I can handle). Why couldn't Dave finish Dreaming Tree during the Gorge '02 performance? Why could he finish it in 2008? The reason you'll come up with is the same reason Boyd can't find his way through tunes the last ten years.!
what's that, e for effort?
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #177
last72stop
maybe we should go dancing

I wonder if someone can explain the mirrored regression in Boyd's ability to sing backup vocals with his ability to play the violin. I honestly think the way he has performed on Granny recently has been the most embarrassing thing he has contributed "musically". Too muscular? Doesn't practice enough? Or is something really wrong with this guy these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch
I do wonder though sometimes why you're on this message board or even a fan of the band. From what it sounds like, you don't really connect on any real/deep/emotional level to any of their songs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I used to have half a dozen friends
last72stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #178
raven

Quote:
My entitled buddies!
yeah wtf
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #179
SomeDevil17

So 8-17-07 the Deer Creek one on page 4, is definitely my favorite version of this. Very tight, and structured and that nice reprise at the end is something I miss.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #180
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by last72stop View Post
I wonder if someone can explain the mirrored regression in Boyd's ability to sing backup vocals with his ability to play the violin. I honestly think the way he has performed on Granny recently has been the most embarrassing thing he has contributed "musically". Too muscular? Doesn't practice enough? Or is something really wrong with this guy these days?
doped out of his damn mind.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc