These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #1081
NiCK (Crush)
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 50,401
Recently in the two spot is so perfect.
__________________
NC
NiCK (Crush) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #1082
mattinmass
heady
 
mattinmass's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: just another city again
Posts: 20,806
how can any show post-LeRoi death be the greatest DMB show you've ever seen? (assuming you've seen them before he died?)
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #1083
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd
 
mjf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
Recently in the two spot is so perfect.
Easily my second favorite opener behind only Seek Up, but yeah anywhere early in the set is good
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:42 PM   #1084
NiCK (Crush)
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 50,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Easily my second favorite opener behind only Seek Up, but yeah anywhere early in the set is good
I've only seen it open a show once, but yeah, it was a great way to start things off.

Dave Matthews Band
December 13, 2005
Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA

Recently
Hunger for the Great Light
Louisiana Bayou
What Would You Say
Seek Up
Grey Street
Minarets
Crash into Me
American Baby Intro
Everybody Wake Up (Our Finest Hour Arrives)
Dancing Nancies
Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back)
Stand Up (For It)
Stay (Wasting Time)
-----------------------------------
Christmas Song
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel


Now that I'm looking at it, that's not all that bad for an '05 set.
__________________
NC
NiCK (Crush) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #1085
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd
 
mjf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,212
Yeah that show was the last time I saw it open. I thoroughly enjoyed the two shows at MSG and that one, but have never gone back and listened to em. I'm sure they are better left as good memories
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:20 PM   #1086
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 18,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
I've only seen it open a show once, but yeah, it was a great way to start things off.

Dave Matthews Band
December 13, 2005
Wachovia Center, Philadelphia, PA

Recently
Hunger for the Great Light
Louisiana Bayou
What Would You Say
Seek Up
Grey Street
Minarets
Crash into Me
American Baby Intro
Everybody Wake Up (Our Finest Hour Arrives)
Dancing Nancies
Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back)
Stand Up (For It)
Stay (Wasting Time)
-----------------------------------
Christmas Song
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel


Now that I'm looking at it, that's not all that bad for an '05 set.

I attended this show. I liked it. I should listen to it again soon.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
let the children write the sets
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #1087
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 17,695
Dave Matthews Band
May 9, 1999
Charleston Civic Center, Charleston, WV

#41
One Sweet World
Too Much
Jimi Thing
Say Goodbye
Help Myself
Don't Drink the Water
Long Black Veil
Pig
Two Step
Recently
Lover Lay Down
The Last Stop
Typical Situation
Warehouse
-----------------------------------
Crash into Me
Ants Marching

My goodness - look at this run from Say Goodbye to Warehouse.

This show starts out with an earthy vibe with a nicely jammed #41 and One Sweet World. Dave's voice sounds crisp on both versions, Boyd's playing during #41 is beautiful but unfortunately has a tone issue for his solo. Roi's sax solo entrance is quite good and he nails the OSW intro as well. In the Swim Naked outro, Boyd/Roi seem to randomly miss one of the notes they play in sync at the end, just something random I noticed.

Too Much and Jimi are well placed power tunes early in the set, Roi specifically has a few licks in his Jimi solo that stood out to me and Carter had some good interplay with those. Dave's acoustic solo was also pretty nice and had a good focused pattern with minimal dead notes or mistakes

Say Bye's intro felt pretty relaxed to me, good version. Carter was just nailing this Help Myself - his solo in the breakdown is great. DDTW/LBV - standard, good. Early Pigs are always interesting - Boyd's playing in the chorus sounds particularly antiquated to me. Excellent Two Step with some good playing from Carter and Dave. Truncated Recently > LLD, pretty good.

Boom - Last Stop. This show has really had excellent flow and I love when the big moments hit in these slots. Pretty decent version, unfortunately some Tinskree action especially in the reprise.

Bigtime, energetic Typical - they were firing on all cylinders especially Roi, Carter, and Dave. "Segues" into Warehouse. As they hit the harmonics at the end of Typical, Dave starts playing a Typical sounding riff for several seconds and then busts into the opening chords of Warehouse.

Standard encore, but an absolutely roaring version of Ants. Excellent crowd and band energy all night

Tape Quality: ****
Show Rating: ****1/4
Live Trax Desire: I'd for sure buy it.
Almanac Notes:
First time Warehouse has been played as a set closer since 12.28.93 and the first time it's been played full band as a set closer since 11.26.93
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #1088
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 18,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Dave Matthews Band
May 9, 1999
Charleston Civic Center, Charleston, WV

#41
One Sweet World
Too Much
Jimi Thing
Say Goodbye
Help Myself
Don't Drink the Water
Long Black Veil
Pig
Two Step
Recently
Lover Lay Down
The Last Stop
Typical Situation
Warehouse
-----------------------------------
Crash into Me
Ants Marching

My goodness - look at this run from Say Goodbye to Warehouse.

This show starts out with an earthy vibe with a nicely jammed #41 and One Sweet World. Dave's voice sounds crisp on both versions, Boyd's playing during #41 is beautiful but unfortunately has a tone issue for his solo. Roi's sax solo entrance is quite good and he nails the OSW intro as well. In the Swim Naked outro, Boyd/Roi seem to randomly miss one of the notes they play in sync at the end, just something random I noticed.

Too Much and Jimi are well placed power tunes early in the set, Roi specifically has a few licks in his Jimi solo that stood out to me and Carter had some good interplay with those. Dave's acoustic solo was also pretty nice and had a good focused pattern with minimal dead notes or mistakes

Say Bye's intro felt pretty relaxed to me, good version. Carter was just nailing this Help Myself - his solo in the breakdown is great. DDTW/LBV - standard, good. Early Pigs are always interesting - Boyd's playing in the chorus sounds particularly antiquated to me. Excellent Two Step with some good playing from Carter and Dave. Truncated Recently > LLD, pretty good.

Boom - Last Stop. This show has really had excellent flow and I love when the big moments hit in these slots. Pretty decent version, unfortunately some Tinskree action especially in the reprise.

Bigtime, energetic Typical - they were firing on all cylinders especially Roi, Carter, and Dave. "Segues" into Warehouse. As they hit the harmonics at the end of Typical, Dave starts playing a Typical sounding riff for several seconds and then busts into the opening chords of Warehouse.

Standard encore, but an absolutely roaring version of Ants. Excellent crowd and band energy all night

Tape Quality: ****
Show Rating: ****1/4
Live Trax Desire: I'd for sure buy it.
Almanac Notes:
First time Warehouse has been played as a set closer since 12.28.93 and the first time it's been played full band as a set closer since 11.26.93
:uproars Great review. I think it's time to bring back the show listening thread again. Or maybe wait until this tour completes?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
let the children write the sets
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:00 PM   #1089
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 18,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Dave Matthews Band
May 9, 1999
Charleston Civic Center, Charleston, WV

#41
One Sweet World
Too Much
Jimi Thing
Say Goodbye
Help Myself
Don't Drink the Water
Long Black Veil
Pig
Two Step
Recently
Lover Lay Down
The Last Stop
Typical Situation
Warehouse
-----------------------------------
Crash into Me
Ants Marching

My goodness - look at this run from Say Goodbye to Warehouse.

This show starts out with an earthy vibe with a nicely jammed #41 and One Sweet World. Dave's voice sounds crisp on both versions, Boyd's playing during #41 is beautiful but unfortunately has a tone issue for his solo. Roi's sax solo entrance is quite good and he nails the OSW intro as well. In the Swim Naked outro, Boyd/Roi seem to randomly miss one of the notes they play in sync at the end, just something random I noticed.

Too Much and Jimi are well placed power tunes early in the set, Roi specifically has a few licks in his Jimi solo that stood out to me and Carter had some good interplay with those. Dave's acoustic solo was also pretty nice and had a good focused pattern with minimal dead notes or mistakes

Say Bye's intro felt pretty relaxed to me, good version. Carter was just nailing this Help Myself - his solo in the breakdown is great. DDTW/LBV - standard, good. Early Pigs are always interesting - Boyd's playing in the chorus sounds particularly antiquated to me. Excellent Two Step with some good playing from Carter and Dave. Truncated Recently > LLD, pretty good.

Boom - Last Stop. This show has really had excellent flow and I love when the big moments hit in these slots. Pretty decent version, unfortunately some Tinskree action especially in the reprise.

Bigtime, energetic Typical - they were firing on all cylinders especially Roi, Carter, and Dave. "Segues" into Warehouse. As they hit the harmonics at the end of Typical, Dave starts playing a Typical sounding riff for several seconds and then busts into the opening chords of Warehouse.

Standard encore, but an absolutely roaring version of Ants. Excellent crowd and band energy all night

Tape Quality: ****
Show Rating: ****1/4
Live Trax Desire: I'd for sure buy it.
Almanac Notes:
First time Warehouse has been played as a set closer since 12.28.93 and the first time it's been played full band as a set closer since 11.26.93
Great review. I think it's time to bring back the show listening thread again. Or maybe wait until this tour completes?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
let the children write the sets
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #1090
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 17,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Great review. I think it's time to bring back the show listening thread again. Or maybe wait until this tour completes?
You know I'm always down.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:34 AM   #1091
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 9,686
Don't need to wait until the end of the tour, can even pick a show from the tour. That thread can always be active, even if it's just 5 of us.

My goal of listening to 500 different albums in 2018 has really impacted my audience recording listening this year, I need the motivation.

I always love your reviews, and have a soft spot for 1999 shows as that was my first year of being all in, especially these sneaky ones that slot in next to well-known shows. I think this Pig goes more into the trainwreck category than interesting, right?
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:47 AM   #1092
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 17,695
That is very possible - admittedly I was in the other room watching the College Gameday picks while Pig was playing and wasn't 100% listening for that one.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #1093
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post

My goal of listening to 500 different albums in 2018


Where are you at on this now on 12/2?
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #1094
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 9,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Where are you at on this now on 12/2?
453. I get behind a little sometimes when I listen to things like LivePhish that are 2.5 hours but count as 1. I will make it for sure, but I've been as far as 20 albums ahead of the pace, and I'm a few behind pace now. I have picked Live Trax v34 as what will be album #500. I've already hit most of my studio favorites earlier this year. I'll post my full list to the nDMB music thread at the end of the year.

Next year will be different. Assigning points to different types of albums. Like 3 points for a brand new listen, 1 for an album I've already heard, 5 for a full concert listen, etc, with a goal of 1000 points.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #1095
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 17,695
That's insane - great pick for #500 though I would have made it 499 and had LT7 as #500 on the 31st
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 AM   #1096
Mitch
Moderator
 
Mitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 13,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
453. I get behind a little sometimes when I listen to things like LivePhish that are 2.5 hours but count as 1. I will make it for sure, but I've been as far as 20 albums ahead of the pace, and I'm a few behind pace now. I have picked Live Trax v34 as what will be album #500. I've already hit most of my studio favorites earlier this year. I'll post my full list to the nDMB music thread at the end of the year.

Next year will be different. Assigning points to different types of albums. Like 3 points for a brand new listen, 1 for an album I've already heard, 5 for a full concert listen, etc, with a goal of 1000 points.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:58 AM   #1097
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 9,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
That's insane - great pick for #500 though I would have made it 499 and had LT7 as #500 on the 31st
LT34 is a life highlight for me. It means so much more than the music on the tape.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #1098
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 18,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Don't need to wait until the end of the tour, can even pick a show from the tour. That thread can always be active, even if it's just 5 of us.

My goal of listening to 500 different albums in 2018 has really impacted my audience recording listening this year, I need the motivation.

I always love your reviews, and have a soft spot for 1999 shows as that was my first year of being all in, especially these sneaky ones that slot in next to well-known shows. I think this Pig goes more into the trainwreck category than interesting, right?
Thanks! I appreciate you guys being interested in that thread. It's my all-time favorite one actually.

In regards to the 500 albums in 2018 project, I copied this from you earlier this year and I'm doing it myself too . I'm up to #400 today. I'll make it through with no issues if I listen to 4 albums per day. I totally agree with you that live albums make it harder. I actually took a break from listening to live releases for this exact reason (they are 2-3 cds long, instead of 1), but I'll get back to them after I listen to my 500th album. Thank you for this idea actually. It was one of the coolest things that I have done in a while, musically speaking.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
let the children write the sets
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.08068 seconds with 16 queries