These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2021, 03:55 PM   #121
mario

EDIT: Here's the original post about Coran calling fans who complained about the increased ticket prices in 2018

[Only registered users can see links.]

*We also talked about the ticket price increase. He understands the initial reaction, but he feels the prices are fair based on the current market for concerts and the fact that the tickets include a copy of the new album. He pointed out that prices for lawn seats were kept basically flat despite the inclusion of the new CD, and those seats make up the largest chunk of tickets purchased. The decision to bump the price of the pit and lower reserved seats up by $20 was driven in part by the album being included[...]
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #122
zaphod!
for josh:

so should we expect the prices to drop if albums are not included?
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #123
soups
Rashawn has to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
so should we expect the prices to drop if albums are not included?
Not in Cap$shaw's world
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:23 PM   #124
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
EDIT: Here's the original post about Coran calling fans who complained about the increased ticket prices in 2018

[Only registered users can see links.]

*We also talked about the ticket price increase. He understands the initial reaction, but he feels the prices are fair based on the current market for concerts and the fact that the tickets include a copy of the new album. He pointed out that prices for lawn seats were kept basically flat despite the inclusion of the new CD, and those seats make up the largest chunk of tickets purchased. The decision to bump the price of the pit and lower reserved seats up by $20 was driven in part by the album being included[...]
“Fair based on the current market for concerts” is the main takeaway to me. There was also no album included with Fall 2018, summer 2019 or summer 2020 tickets, so why bring this up now? Just to bitch about a ticket price increase from over 3 years ago?
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #125
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
“Fair based on the current market for concerts” is the main takeaway to me. There was also no album included with Fall 2018, summer 2019 or summer 2020 tickets, so why bring this up now? Just to bitch about a ticket price increase from over 3 years ago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
Citing "poor lyrics" as the reason for not liking Seven is like saying you don't like ice cream because "it's cold."

You have a point, but it's a stupid one.
patsfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:45 PM   #126
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
There’s only 3 songs I like on AFTW—I think people overrate it and want to like it because of Lillywhite but it’s honestly a pretty terrible album. Just my .02
AFTW and BW are about the same to me, very representative of modern DMB. Both fundamentally flawed by Dave's underwhelming songwriting. I don't care, nor does it really strikingly differ in production style, other than Lillywhite forcing Boyd into the mix whereas Cavallo washed him away among generic strings.

Both albums have a couple of great ones, a bunch of middle of the road, if inoffensive tracks, and clunkers. I won't split hairs with specific songs, since this place is weirdly weird about which songs from those 2 albums are which.

Come Tomorrow has zero personality, cohesion and a terrible flow to boot. The most forgettable album they've ever released. A couple of nicely produced tracks maybe lift it over Stand Up, but i'm certain i will never listen to it in it's entirety again.
Old 05-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #127
jsandr
sometimes your well is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Anyone find the production on AFTW a little slick compared to the previous DMB-Lillywhite albums in the 90's? I know time changes but..
yeah, i'd definitely say it's slick on some songs more than others - Mercy actually would benefit from a more slick production... it kind of sounds like the first time the band played it together. I imagine it sounding more like Trouble on Some Devil.

Meanwhile, Broken Things sounds completely polished.

Belly Belly Nice has this weird thing where it wants to sound polished, but the sound actually comes across as totally lifeless and flat.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:25 PM   #128
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandr View Post
yeah, i'd definitely say it's slick on some songs more than others - Mercy actually would benefit from a more slick production... it kind of sounds like the first time the band played it together. I imagine it sounding more like Trouble on Some Devil.

Meanwhile, Broken Things sounds completely polished.

Belly Belly Nice has this weird thing where it wants to sound polished, but the sound actually comes across as totally lifeless and flat.
This is kind of what I meant. AFTW doesn't sound all the songs are from the same album or session, certain songs sound like they recorded the first take with no effects and just left it, and then other songs have full blown production. BW at least all sounds like it fits. Not all the songs are good, but they fit together.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:30 PM   #129
Tomacco

The outro of Mercy is one of my favorite parts of that album. In fact, the best thing about the album overall is that there is more instrumental time than most albums in the last 20 years (even though I wish there was more, on If Only for example).
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 12:54 AM   #130
NiCK (Crush)

This may have been mentioned, but a single dropped before the first show of the tour feels likely, no?
Old 05-26-2021, 01:58 AM   #131
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
This may have been mentioned, but a single dropped before the first show of the tour feels likely, no?
Most likely, they’ve released at least one single prior to the album dropping since Busted Stuff, and almost all of those singles were released a couple months or weeks/days before the start of the tour. With CT we had Samurai before the summer tour and TGIY was released a couple of shows into the tour before the album dropped.I would by mid-June well have at least one song.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:41 AM   #132
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
The only likely thing with this band is disappointment.
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #133
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
The only likely thing with this band is disappointment.

Hopefully it’s not singing from the windows. A reminder from a time we’d all assume forget for now.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #134
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Hopefully it’s not singing from the windows. A reminder from a time we’d all assume forget for now.
I still think that song would have been perfect as a standalone single/release with proceeds going to something COVID related. Doesn't need to be on an album.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #135
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
I still think that song would have been perfect as a standalone single/release with proceeds going to something COVID related. Doesn't need to be on an album.
Completely agree.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:43 AM   #136
mattinmass
heady

Agreed. That song was OK for a webcast or two, but I hope it goes away.

What song do we think they open up with first show back???
Old 05-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #137
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
Agreed. That song was OK for a webcast or two, but I hope it goes away.

What song do we think they open up with first show back???
you may get some good answers here: [Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
Citing "poor lyrics" as the reason for not liking Seven is like saying you don't like ice cream because "it's cold."

You have a point, but it's a stupid one.
patsfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #138
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
you may get some good answers here: [Only registered users can see links.]
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #139
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
The outro of Mercy is one of my favorite parts of that album. In fact, the best thing about the album overall is that there is more instrumental time than most albums in the last 20 years (even though I wish there was more, on If Only for example).
Broken Things should have gone into a Rapunzel/Snow Outside outro. Insane that it didnt. Would have set a much stronger tone.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #140
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Can you imagine if the first single is a song he's been playing for a year and half already? Wait, I can imagine it, it's legitimate DMB.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc