These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #81
SeekUpAB
no new crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
I also think being nearly exposed for some of those '06 IOY lyrics closed up his freestyle, and solidified his transition into dad rock.
Come on, man.
SeekUpAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #82
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Someone needs the balls to tell Dave to “try again” lyrically. That would go a long way.
That was Lillywhite in the early days.

I think it was in the MTV BTCS special where somebody said Dave would right lyrics and Steve would read them and say they were are good, but Dave could do better and send Dave back to the drawing board. The Lillywhite sessions were probably towards the end of producers pushing Dave to not just be good, but to be great in the producers eyes.

I believe it was said during AFTW that Steve took a more hands off approach as the band had evolved over the years and Dave was taking more charge and making decisions. I would guess Dave would push back and tell Steve that he is happy with takes or lyrics and it was good enough.

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:53 PM   #83
soups
Rashawn has to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeedog View Post

I think it was in the MTV BTCS special where somebody said Dave would right lyrics and Steve would read them and say they were are good, but Dave could do better and send Dave back to the drawing board. The Lillywhite sessions were probably towards the end of producers pushing Dave to not just be good, but to be great in the producers eyes.

I believe it was said during AFTW that Steve took a more hands off approach as the band had evolved over the years and Dave was taking more charge and making decisions. I would guess Dave would push back and tell Steve that he is happy with takes or lyrics and it was good enough.
The 180 degree switch from Big Eyed Fish as it stands on LWS vs "tuckle up yourself with me" was abrupt and unfortunate
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:57 PM   #84
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:

Didn’t Dave outright say in an interview that one of the issues he had with AFTW was that he felt it was finished but lillywhite made him/the band keep working on it?
Old 05-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #85
JoyRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
Didn’t Dave outright say in an interview that one of the issues he had with AFTW was that he felt it was finished but lillywhite made him/the band keep working on it?
Don’t believe so. I believe he said he thought it was finished but the label remixed things to make it less rough. And I don’t believe Steve was involved with that mix. I think that’s the annoyance/dissatisfaction you’re remembering.
JoyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 04:43 PM   #86
bassplayer22

Quote:
He said he was disappointed in it because others kept telling him it wasnt done and he needed to keep working on it. Didnt mention LW specifically.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #87
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
He said he was disappointed in it because others kept telling him it wasnt done and he needed to keep working on it. Didnt mention LW specifically.
Now that you say this, this does sound familiar. I would guess this stems from the same place where Lillywhite saying how it could be better and now Dave was taking more control and saying no it's good enough.

I don't know what the differences in philosophies are between Lillywhite, Ballard, Baston and Cavallo, but I'd guess Lillywhite approaches recording goals differently?

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:28 AM   #88
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Now that you say this, this does sound familiar. I would guess this stems from the same place where Lillywhite saying how it could be better and now Dave was taking more control and saying no it's good enough.

I don't know what the differences in philosophies are between Lillywhite, Ballard, Baston and Cavallo, but I'd guess Lillywhite approaches recording goals differently?
I think it comes down to lillywhite knows how to use the whole band, and the other producers don’t. Cavallo imparts his background on the band, while lillywhite works with each band he produces and highlights what makes them unique. Not really a knock on cavallo though. As for batson and Ballard, they’re pop guys who want to produce hits
Old 05-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #89
Huff

Quote:
I think it comes down to lillywhite knows how to use the whole band, and the other producers don’t. Cavallo imparts his background on the band, while lillywhite works with each band he produces and highlights what makes them unique. Not really a knock on cavallo though. As for batson and Ballard, they’re pop guys who want to produce hits
I honestly don't mind Cavallo's approach. Had Big Whiskey not gotten played into the ground, I don't think people would foster as much distaste for those songs as they're actually pretty damn good. It was the closest of the bunch to the sound that Lillywhite could perfectly capture out of all of the other producers, IMO...just maybe a little more refined in the process.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:44 AM   #90
greykitkat36

Quote:

Lillywhite said it best in one of those recent interviews he did. He said most producers treat DMB like “Dave’s band”, and make it all about him. Lillywhite understood that the appeal to DMB wasn’t all Dave, it was about everyone blending together to create the unique sound. A lot of these producers DMB have worked with just didn’t do a lot of background homework and kind of just made it all about Dave, and catered to him.

But also, LW said the band evolved and DAve takes more control now than ever, and yeah that’s why he wasn’t going to push anymore. Dave himself said that he stepped in and “put his foot down” on a lot of CT, unfortunately it sounds like that’s a bad thing.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #91
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
I honestly don't mind Cavallo's approach. Had Big Whiskey not gotten played into the ground, I don't think people would foster as much distaste for those songs as they're actually pretty damn good. It was the closest of the bunch to the sound that Lillywhite could perfectly capture out of all of the other producers, IMO...just maybe a little more refined in the process.
Yeah BW really gets crapped on a lot around here but it was better than AFTW, better than CT and 100x better than SU. It was a modernized DMB, and a direction I thought made sense. It’s not perfect and there are some clunkers on it, but it was easily the best produced album they’ve had since BTCS, it’s just that the songs themselves weren’t anywhere near as good.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #92
TDunk

AFTW > BW> CT
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #93
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
AFTW > BW> CT
There’s only 3 songs I like on AFTW—I think people overrate it and want to like it because of Lillywhite but it’s honestly a pretty terrible album. Just my .02
Old 05-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #94
gweeps
homesick android

Put Big Whiskey last for me. Come Tomorrow just has overall better songs, although BW has cleaner production at times.

Away from the World is tops mainly because of Lillywhite. He simultaneously gets out of the band's way and surgically puts his stamp on their sound. A shame we don't have his mix of the album.

One could probably make a single great album from all 3, including some of the outtakes.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #95
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
Come on, man.
I'm only half joking. When Jake posted that article on the homepage of ants.org I honestly think word got back to Dave. His freestyle was never the same. The best we got was some of the '08 Sugar wills which were related to Roi's passing. I think 2012 had a couple interesting Shotguns. I can't remember anything else.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:47 AM   #96
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
There’s only 3 songs I like on AFTW—I think people overrate it and want to like it because of Lillywhite but it’s honestly a pretty terrible album. Just my .02
Agree. What a weak album. 3-4 songs I like.
Old 05-21-2021, 11:58 AM   #97
JoyRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Right:

"I think sometimes I … Sometimes I spend a lot of my life trying to get answers from the people around me instead of listening to myself. But after I turned 50, something happened. I’ve realized that there are more important things than saying “okay.” An example is the last album I made, which is fine. It’s called Away From the World. I think it was a great album and then I let people convince me it wasn’t finished. I did a disservice to the music. I kept working on it and it lost a lot. It’s too bad I didn’t say, “No, you’re wrong. The music may be flawed and splintered but it’s genuine. It’s done.” The new album, I don’t know whether it’s good or bad, but I managed to say “No.” People were saying things like, “I don’t know if we should put this song or that song on the album.” And I was able to say, “You’re wrong. We’re leaving it.” But I hope I never feel like I’ve got it “right” creatively. That probably wouldn’t be a good sign."

[Only registered users can see links.]
JoyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:38 PM   #98
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

I think the production is pretty lousy across big whiskey.

Especially why I am. They couldn’t have done that worse in the studio. Amazing, really.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #99
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyRider View Post
Right:

"I think sometimes I … Sometimes I spend a lot of my life trying to get answers from the people around me instead of listening to myself. But after I turned 50, something happened. I’ve realized that there are more important things than saying “okay.” An example is the last album I made, which is fine. It’s called Away From the World. I think it was a great album and then I let people convince me it wasn’t finished. I did a disservice to the music. I kept working on it and it lost a lot. It’s too bad I didn’t say, “No, you’re wrong. The music may be flawed and splintered but it’s genuine. It’s done.” The new album, I don’t know whether it’s good or bad, but I managed to say “No.” People were saying things like, “I don’t know if we should put this song or that song on the album.” And I was able to say, “You’re wrong. We’re leaving it.” But I hope I never feel like I’ve got it “right” creatively. That probably wouldn’t be a good sign."

[Only registered users can see links.]
Yup, I’d love to know which songs were being argued over. Was Dave insisting on keeping TGIY or did he have to fight for IOY and Can’t Stop? Would love to know.

But at times I’ve thought that was one of Dave’s biggest problems is that maybe working on something TOO hard and forcing it makes the songs worse, which is Definitley true. But at the same time, the Batson approach of “everything is good” is bad too. There’s a solid middle ground where you put a lot of effort in but not to the point where you take all of the character out of it.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:52 PM   #100
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I think the production is pretty lousy across big whiskey.

Especially why I am. They couldn’t have done that worse in the studio. Amazing, really.
I think it’s great production, but perhaps not a style you care for. It’s very polished, shiny and in your face production but at least the entire album sounds that way—it’s cohesive, sounds together and creates a full experience.

AFTW and CT both just play as compilation albums...they sound like a collection of random songs that don’t go together and sound like they’re put together from different studio sessions. There’s a huge lack of continuity from front to back. The songs themselves might be better but in terms of creating an experience, which is what an album is supposed to do, neither of those do that for me.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc