These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #221
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
100%. They just played the album versions and dragged the outros out to a long fade. Pointless. I honestly can’t believe they never tried adding a solo on any of those. Imagine Jeff on If Only toward the end, be a totally different tune. Could have given it that LLD vibe.

I always thought If Only is one of the most underrated tunes of the past decade.it’s one of the most DMb sounding songs they’ve written in a while. Really could have developed into a classic but they did nothing with it live and it just dragged. It always sounded like a song that could have been on Busted Stuff or something, one of my favorites on AFTW
I agree with all of that. There's a version of If Only from 2012 with the Tower of Power keyboardist, and a 2013 one from WPB with Carlos Malta on saxophone both which add extended solos to the If Only outros. They're great versions.
As shocking as it was that Jeff never did a solo (maybe too committed to the horn line), it's even more shocking Buddy has yet to play on it.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #222
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I agree with all of that. There's a version of If Only from 2012 with the Tower of Power keyboardist, and a 2013 one from WPB with Carlos Malta on saxophone both which add extended solos to the If Only outros. They're great versions.
As shocking as it was that Jeff never did a solo (maybe too committed to the horn line), it's even more shocking Buddy has yet to play on it.
They were totally too committed to the horn line. I hate If Only. i saw it 6 times in 2012 thru 2014 just a total drag every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
Citing "poor lyrics" as the reason for not liking Seven is like saying you don't like ice cream because "it's cold."

You have a point, but it's a stupid one.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #223
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
They were totally too committed to the horn line. I hate If Only. i saw it 6 times in 2012 thru 2014 just a total drag every time.
Yeah such a shame. Also thought they should have lowered the key a bit because 90% of the time Dave really struggles to sing it too and it sounds pretty bad.

Even Daveís vocals on the studio version could use some work, but I def really enjoy the studio version despite that. Thereís a couple of people on YouTube that do an acoustic cover of it, and itís really great with someone who can really sing it.

Tomacco, I havenít heard that Carlos Malta version, def gonna check that out now.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #224
bassplayer22

Have been fully expecting to hear this song with Buddy on it. I think he could be great on it. Always liked the studio version but it does drag live. Its begging to be extended beyond just the horn line repeating over and over.
bassplayer22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #225
greykitkat36

The Hollywood Bowl 2012 version is on YouTube and itís probably the best ďnon-guestĒ version Iíve heard, they play it a slightly faster tempo and has much more energy to it. Check it out
Old 06-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #226
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I always thought If Only is one of the most underrated tunes of the past decade.itís one of the most DMb sounding songs theyíve written in a while. Really could have developed into a classic but they did nothing with it live and it just dragged. It always sounded like a song that could have been on Busted Stuff or something, one of my favorites on AFTW
Both "Break Free" and "If Only" could have been awesome if they featured better lyrics and played with the jam sections more. Both songs had the potential.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:22 AM   #227
sean52692
You failed this band

If Only is a little too unoriginal for me to be considered a DMB classic. I do like it though. It's a nice song if you need to even things out.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:43 PM   #228
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
If Only is a little too unoriginal for me to be considered a DMB classic. I do like it though. It's a nice song if you need to even things out.
The lyrics arent the best, and I see what you mean. I wouldn’t consider it a classic, but I think it’s pretty easily in the top 10 best DMb songs since BW, and it’s better than a chunk of BW too.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:15 PM   #229
sean52692
You failed this band

It's hard to believe this TSTJL is a live version. It's perfect. Sounds like it could have been laid down in the studio it's that good.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #230
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
It's hard to believe this TSTJL is a live version. It's perfect. Sounds like it could have been laid down in the studio it's that good.
Just what I've thought.

Here's one of the full band studio demos: [Only registered users can see links.]

edit: you're talking about Stjl. Anyway, enjoy that Recently demo.

Here's a full band Stjl demo: [Only registered users can see links.]

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc