These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2020, 01:07 PM   #2741
patsfan39
 
patsfan39's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 6,627
Im not saying its a great song, but i enjoyed seeing the Riff in vegas much more than seeing Bayou last summer at SPAC.
__________________
-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
Citing "poor lyrics" as the reason for not liking Seven is like saying you don't like ice cream because "it's cold."

You have a point, but it's a stupid one.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #2742
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 19,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
It's a matter-of-fact sentiment.

Funny how people don't knock Dave for his silly lyrics in songs like Smts or Wwys or on-the-nose ones like Seek Up or Osw.

Ah, I know why. The music is better than Dive In. Or is it? Maybe it's just different, and you either like it or don't.

But let's be honest here.
It's because they were his early songwriting.

On BTCS and Lillywhite Sessions, he matured far beyond that.


Then he regressed. Hard. Real hard. Like reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy really really real hard.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #2743
bassplayer22
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
I'm shocked people don't the see thorough the Riff for how bad it is. I'll take Bayou in it's current form live over the Riff any day.
I feel very much the opposite. I thought for sure people were going to love that after listing to AFTW. Still boggles my mind.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #2744
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity
 
typsitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
It's a matter-of-fact sentiment.

Funny how people don't knock Dave for his silly lyrics in songs like Smts or Wwys or on-the-nose ones like Seek Up or Osw.

Ah, I know why. The music is better than Dive In. Or is it? Maybe it's just different, and you either like it or don't.

But let's be honest here.
Holy shit, this argument again.

We went over this 5 years ago: [Only registered users can see links.]
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:52 AM   #2745
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 19,823
Unpopular opinion time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
yeah, ADSR is excellent in terms of chord structure and lyrics. Too bad it never got recorded (that we know of). If given a treatment like VITR, it would be a memorable studio track.
I believe it was recorded in 2007, but never released. I think the studio he recorded it shared information about it a few years ago.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #2746
ThememanXX
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 33,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I believe it was recorded in 2007, but never released. I think the studio he recorded it shared information about it a few years ago.
You might be thinking of 'Jackpot' or 'Falling off the Roof,' which was recorded at Milkboy the Studio in Philly for a Herbie Hancock album but cut for a cover of 'Tomorrow Never Knows,' instead. The studio posted a clip on their website years back, if I remember correctly. I've always wanted to hear that one, in full.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:31 AM   #2747
bassplayer22
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
You might be thinking of 'Jackpot' or 'Falling off the Roof,' which was recorded at Milkboy the Studio in Philly for a Herbie Hancock album but cut for a cover of 'Tomorrow Never Knows,' instead. The studio posted a clip on their website years back, if I remember correctly. I've always wanted to hear that one, in full.
A year or two ago there was a log of songs that had been recorded or worked on at Haunted Hollow maybe? over the years. ADSR was on there. It was definitely recorded in some fashion, perhaps as a demo.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #2748
ThememanXX
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 33,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
A year or two ago there was a log of songs that had been recorded or worked on at Haunted Hollow maybe? over the years. ADSR was on there. It was definitely recorded in some fashion, perhaps as a demo.
Oh I don't doubt that, I was more or less responding to the "I think the studio he recorded it shared information about it" line, that has to be about 'Jackpot.'

I'd love love love some scrapped studio tracks to be finished and see the light of day, stuff like Jackpot, Shotgun, A Dream So Real, JTR, Sugar Will, #40, etc.

It'll never happen though.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #2749
bassplayer22
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Oh I don't doubt that, I was more or less responding to the "I think the studio he recorded it shared information about it" line, that has to be about 'Jackpot.'

I'd love love love some scrapped studio tracks to be finished and see the light of day, stuff like Jackpot, Shotgun, A Dream So Real, JTR, Sugar Will, #40, etc.

It'll never happen though.
Agreed. I still think we were closer to getting some of those tracks on CT before the Boyd situation but who the hell knows.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #2750
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 29,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
Always will be a big fan of the riff. Just a cool unique song.
Love the dour atmosphere. Even the louder bursts only punctuate the tenseness.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:22 PM   #2751
dmikeb
 
dmikeb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 615
Unpopular opinion?

Tim, Rashawn, Jeff, and Buddy don't fit in DMB and have made the band less enjoyable to listen to.

Tim can stay if he only plays acoustic. He can only play electric if he plays the same way he played on something like Red Rocks 95.

Buddy can stay if he stops singing, but they should really just patch things with Butch.

Jeff can maybe stay if he stops playing sexy 80s style and learns subtlety.

Rashawn needs to go.

I'd actually love to see a tour with just Dave, Carter, Fonzi, and Butch playing stuff from pre 2002.... Maybe pre 2000.
__________________
LeRoi Moore brings the fiah
dmikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #2752
zaphod!
for josh:
 
zaphod!'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 23,667
to say that tim doesn't belong in dmb is ridiculous on its face. he's been a part of this band since almost the beginning.

for the rest, i think you'll find that its a pretty popular opinion around here.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #2753
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle
 
roshea999's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 10,288
Jeff is fine. The issue with Jeff is rashawn.

And Tim is the man.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:31 PM   #2754
dmikeb
 
dmikeb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
to say that tim doesn't belong in dmb is ridiculous on its face. he's been a part of this band since almost the beginning.

for the rest, i think you'll find that its a pretty popular opinion around here.
Yeah I hear ya, but even a recent Dave and Tim tour compared to one 20 years ago, Tim has gotten worse. Less creative and I dare say less technically proficient
__________________
LeRoi Moore brings the fiah
dmikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:32 PM   #2755
dmikeb
 
dmikeb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Jeff is fine. The issue with Jeff is rashawn.

And Tim is the man.
Jeff is so damn talented. Just not a lot of heart and soul. Just technical proficiency.
__________________
LeRoi Moore brings the fiah
dmikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #2756
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 25,989
I think if you haven’t accepted the band is different now after the last 3 years especially, that’s kind of on you.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:42 PM   #2757
zaphod!
for josh:
 
zaphod!'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: montreal
Posts: 23,667
i think the whole concept of "liberating" songs is pretty cringe.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #2758
JamSession v2.0
I've made a huge mistake.
 
JamSession v2.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 16,384
I hate She. While it's not like anything that DMB did before, it's just not in DMB's wheelhouse and Dave's enunciation of

hyp-mo-tize

makes me want to club a family of baby seals. This song seemed to be ballwashed the most out of the Come Tomorrow group. I didn't get it.

I still don't.

The song sucks.
__________________
-Ryan
JamSession v2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:43 PM   #2759
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 29,928
Yeah, I have no idea why Dave mispronounces hypnotize. Annoying.

Song is groovy though.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:46 PM   #2760
Steveo Style
 
Steveo Style's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NJ
Posts: 4,940
I'm enjoying listening to 2021 DMB more than summer 1998 DMB. Boyd was terrible for a lot of shows then, and they sounded way too rough.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.05728 seconds with 15 queries