These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #81
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmys24 View Post
11.21.98 was my 3rd show. It was fantastic, there were some flubs on spoon, but it was really cool to see it live.

The show ended with a 27 minute #41 with most of the Flecktones that was pretty epic, but there was definitely some confusion in the crowd wondering if it was really the end of the show. Dave approached the mic towards the end as if he was going to say something or go into something else, but wound up walking away. I recall there being speculation that there was going to be another song but he decided to end it since a chunk of the crowd had left during the jam. I'm skeptical that was actually the case.
People left during the jam? Thanks guys. Those same people ruined the band.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:55 AM   #82
timmys24

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
yeah that show looks wild on paper, what an encore. No setlist scan available of that, but chances are they probably had a 3rd song planned but since #41 went way longer than expected they probably were up against curfew and decided to cut it. They've never ended an entire show with 41 since, main sets yes but not encore so that's my guess.
The mid-set Bela run of DDTW, LIOG & Last Stop was really great. It would be cool to unearth a seat list scan from this show. The encore has to be one of the most unique ones theyíve ever played.

A legit recording of this show would be great to have. Add me to the supporters of just release the whole damn run.
timmys24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:57 AM   #83
timmys24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
From memory, Iíd guess the arena was about 60ish% full when the song/show ended.

Digging up one of the old show reviews threads from the mailing list (or wherever people were posting reviews at that time) would be fun to read through.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #84
celluloid hero

This is from the Cincinnati Post on 11/23/98:

Fleck almost steals show from Matthews
Concert review by Rick Bird, Post music writer

It was the Dave and Bela show at a sold-out Crown Saturday night.

The Dave Matthews Band again gave the faithful what they came for - a 2 1/2-hour show of the band's jam-heavy repertoire of folk-rock, jazz fusion sounds. But banjo wizard Bela Fleck provided a needed musical jolt, accenting the Matthews band's often meandering performance.

If this were a battle of the jam bands, it was Fleck and his Flecktones who perhaps would come out the champs. Yet, between Fleck and Matthews, this is a mutual admiration society. The two clearly enjoy each other's jamming company.

Fleck's group opened with a searing hour set of his unique banjo-based progressive jazz. Later, Fleck joined Matthews for three songs and was the featured soloist on such DMB hits as ''Too Much'' and ''Don't Drink the Water.''

To close the night, Fleck's band teamed up with the Matthews group for a 20-minute jam session, working out on Matthews ''Say Goodbye.''

Matthews is doing a great musical service by showcasing Fleck, who has toiled for 20 years in clubs and theaters to critical acclaim but little mass following. Fleck showed his unique sound is more that fitting for big arenas, as the band filled The Crown with an innovative wall of sound. Fleck's banjo picking is otherworldly, with each note neat and precise.

The innovation doesn't end with Fleck. Other members of his five-piece Flecktones are stars in their own right. Victor Wooten is a bass player's bass player. His brother Roy ''Futureman'' Wooten brings the computer age to their rootsy jazz sound playing the drumitar, an electronic drum machine shaped like a guitar.

The Dave Matthews Band continues be the hottest act going for the college rock crowd. And true to the Grateful Dead jam band legacy, Matthews varies his set list quite a bit each night, which keeps his fans guessing.

Matthews' genius is that he knows when to get out of the way and let his talented band take over. His set featured plenty of solo spotlights, especially from his sensational violinist Boyd Tinsley and horn man LeRoi Moore. Also joining the band for the Crown show - turning the DMB into a six piece - was guitarist Tim Reynolds, a longtime ''associate'' member who rarely tours with the group.

The only problem with the Dave Matthews Band is one that plagues all bands of the improvisational, jamming ilk. They have trouble ending songs. Some of the extended jams veer and wander aimlessly, ultimately becoming self-absorbed.

But if this jam band phenomenon continues, it would be interesting to see if Fleck catches on with a loyal following that could put him headlining arenas. It would be a deserving cap to his long career.

Here are reviews from Nancies:

[Only registered users can see links.]
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:16 AM   #85
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
This show was not for the casual, and 40% of people at shows are casual fans, especially in 1998. The casual fan leaves 25 minutes into the final encore song that is going on forever.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:50 AM   #86
patsfan39

Seems like a few errors in that review. Say Goodbye wasnt played and Bela Fleck didnt even play on Too Much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
Citing "poor lyrics" as the reason for not liking Seven is like saying you don't like ice cream because "it's cold."

You have a point, but it's a stupid one.
patsfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #87
celluloid hero

He probably left during the drum part of #41 and assumed it was Say Goodbye starting :-)

Also probably why The Cincy Post doesn't exist anymore. This review was the start.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:15 AM   #88
timmys24

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is from the Cincinnati Post on 11/23/98:

Fleck almost steals show from Matthews
Concert review by Rick Bird, Post music writer

It was the Dave and Bela show at a sold-out Crown Saturday night.

The Dave Matthews Band again gave the faithful what they came for - a 2 1/2-hour show of the band's jam-heavy repertoire of folk-rock, jazz fusion sounds. But banjo wizard Bela Fleck provided a needed musical jolt, accenting the Matthews band's often meandering performance.

If this were a battle of the jam bands, it was Fleck and his Flecktones who perhaps would come out the champs. Yet, between Fleck and Matthews, this is a mutual admiration society. The two clearly enjoy each other's jamming company.

Fleck's group opened with a searing hour set of his unique banjo-based progressive jazz. Later, Fleck joined Matthews for three songs and was the featured soloist on such DMB hits as ''Too Much'' and ''Don't Drink the Water.''

To close the night, Fleck's band teamed up with the Matthews group for a 20-minute jam session, working out on Matthews ''Say Goodbye.''

Matthews is doing a great musical service by showcasing Fleck, who has toiled for 20 years in clubs and theaters to critical acclaim but little mass following. Fleck showed his unique sound is more that fitting for big arenas, as the band filled The Crown with an innovative wall of sound. Fleck's banjo picking is otherworldly, with each note neat and precise.

The innovation doesn't end with Fleck. Other members of his five-piece Flecktones are stars in their own right. Victor Wooten is a bass player's bass player. His brother Roy ''Futureman'' Wooten brings the computer age to their rootsy jazz sound playing the drumitar, an electronic drum machine shaped like a guitar.

The Dave Matthews Band continues be the hottest act going for the college rock crowd. And true to the Grateful Dead jam band legacy, Matthews varies his set list quite a bit each night, which keeps his fans guessing.

Matthews' genius is that he knows when to get out of the way and let his talented band take over. His set featured plenty of solo spotlights, especially from his sensational violinist Boyd Tinsley and horn man LeRoi Moore. Also joining the band for the Crown show - turning the DMB into a six piece - was guitarist Tim Reynolds, a longtime ''associate'' member who rarely tours with the group.

The only problem with the Dave Matthews Band is one that plagues all bands of the improvisational, jamming ilk. They have trouble ending songs. Some of the extended jams veer and wander aimlessly, ultimately becoming self-absorbed.

But if this jam band phenomenon continues, it would be interesting to see if Fleck catches on with a loyal following that could put him headlining arenas. It would be a deserving cap to his long career.

Thanks for posting these.

One of the reviews near the top of the page mentions what I refenced:

"Oh, if anyone knows what happened at the very end, let us know. Dave talked to the instrament tuner guy, pointed out the audience, walked to his microphone, then shook his head and left. I'm confused?"
Old 06-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #89
dmb2much40

It’s always fun to read those old reviews. And here we are still bitching about the same things - how hard it is to get decent tickets, Crash being overplayed etc.
Old 06-17-2021, 07:57 AM   #90
Dartagnan
Standing Has Become a Chore...

We had tickets in the upper bowl, but a friend won 2nd row seats so we were right down front. I remember being mesmerized just watching everyone go through their parts and hearing all that sound hit me. I couldn't have told you anything that was going on behind us. I do remember though when the lights came on there was a weird air in the place, half the audience was moving for the exits and the other half was waiting because there had to be more. But then the roadies started packing up and it was indeed over. I do think they were pretty up against it time-wise though. Even downtown I think the cut-off was 11:00.

We had gone to Lexington the night before and I really liked that show as well. The Last Stop opener, stand alone PM and from what I remember a really great duel between Tim and Bela during Two Step (I think?). But that encore of Satellite/Billies was a killer for me. I was just fatigued on both those songs as Billies was in heavy rotation on the radio.
Dartagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #91
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartagnan View Post
We had tickets in the upper bowl, but a friend won 2nd row seats so we were right down front. I remember being mesmerized just watching everyone go through their parts and hearing all that sound hit me. I couldn't have told you anything that was going on behind us. I do remember though when the lights came on there was a weird air in the place, half the audience was moving for the exits and the other half was waiting because there had to be more. But then the roadies started packing up and it was indeed over. I do think they were pretty up against it time-wise though. Even downtown I think the cut-off was 11:00.

We had gone to Lexington the night before and I really liked that show as well. The Last Stop opener, stand alone PM and from what I remember a really great duel between Tim and Bela during Two Step (I think?). But that encore of Satellite/Billies was a killer for me. I was just fatigued on both those songs as Billies was in heavy rotation on the radio.
Yeah thatís awesome, cool story. I think the casual fan at the time wasnít expecting that many long jams, they came to hear Crash, Crush, Ants, Etc. So I could see people trying to beat the traffic. Must have been a weird vibe at the end though, like kind of a let down. Iím sure it was most likely a curfew deal.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:24 PM   #92
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yeah thatís awesome, cool story. I think the casual fan at the time wasnít expecting that many long jams, they came to hear Crash, Crush, Ants, Etc. So I could see people trying to beat the traffic. Must have been a weird vibe at the end though, like kind of a let down. Iím sure it was most likely a curfew deal.
A letdown, you're likely right. And how awful is that. I would have left thinking greatest encore, can't be beat. That's just the way it goes sadly, casual fans vs the more musically inclined hardcores. Sucks.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:36 AM   #93
DMBBoyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post

Reading a review I wrote 22 years ago is pure
Old 06-18-2021, 12:52 PM   #94
celluloid hero

yep. mine is up top. second show I went to (Rupp) was night before. I read the first sentence, cringed and stopped.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:42 PM   #95
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmys24 View Post
"Oh, if anyone knows what happened at the very end, let us know. Dave talked to the instrament tuner guy, pointed out the audience, walked to his microphone, then shook his head and left. I'm confused?"
He did the same thing 12/8/98. I forget if he broke a string or not, but last stop was clearing winding down, and he was asking for a new guitar and motioning all around. We were 100% convinced they were going to play another song. He got his new guitar and thenÖ the show just ended.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:58 PM   #96
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

It was great to back read this thread again. I used to post with more enthusiasm on here back in the day .
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc