These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think the LWS could have been DMB's best album if it was finished properly with Lillywhite?
Yes, it could have been the best 72 52.94%
No, it still probably wouldn't have been the best 44 32.35%
Who's to say? I dunno. 20 14.71%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #121
Josh.0

LIOG is the ultimate "happy music, sad lyrics" tune he's written, IMO. I'd say SUAD is #2.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #122
.Gary.

However, Busted Stuff is the only finished album without any guests. I don't know if that means anything to anyone.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:30 PM   #123
inmytree
Hey Gee.

LIOG is actually one of the few to me that feels consistent; it's a song about death, but the lyrics don't strike me as really sad or dark. Certainly not in the way Ants is; that song with the lyrics alone is almost unrelentingly cynical.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #124
AndyB
Fred sounds kind of effeminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Gary. View Post
However, Busted Stuff is the only finished album without any guests. I don't know if that means anything to anyone.
LWS also has (and probably would have had, if finished) no guests, so I'm not sure what that argument brings to the table.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #125
AndyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
dave's been writing dark lyrics set to happy music ever since the very beginning, i don't know why SUAD is being singled out
Tonal dissonance. I really don't think YNK would have been any more out of place on a finished LWS than on BS. It's the same songs. Some upbeat and depressing, some slow and depressing. YNK is has more optimistic lyrical content, but it's still a great song and I wouldn't have any problem settling it in around finished LWS versions of BS/Grey/SUAD/JTR/KKJ/etc.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #126
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
i agree for the most part, but plenty of artists and bands have unfinished albums and studio sessions that are out there and are arguably better than the LWS and yet they don't have near the larger than life stigma around them. Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams comes to mind.
This is a much older post, but I think a big reason the LWS had a larger-than-life stigma is because they came out right after ED, which everyone thought was terrible. If the LWS had gotten leaked in 99 or something, I'm sure they'd still be treasured, but the fact that they were unreleased in comparison to something like ED made the contrast that much starker. I think there's a reason the LWS got so much press in addition to the music; the story was enticing to people, even if the truth was more complicated.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #127
FiddySpence
TDCya

yeah, i see what you're saying. i'm not even sure i agree with my own post anymore.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #128
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
LWS also has (and probably would have had, if finished) no guests, so I'm not sure what that argument brings to the table.
It's not an argument. It's a statement. "Busted Stuff is a bad album" is an argument.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #129
AndyB

Quote:
It's not an argument. It's a statement. "Busted Stuff is a bad album" is an argument.
Actually that's also a statement because you're not making a case there either, but my points was that I didn't see how BS having no guests was relevant to the discussion.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #130
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
Actually that's also a statement because you're not making a case there either, but my points was that I didn't see how BS having no guests was relevant to the discussion.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #131
bassplayer22

One of the biggest differences between LWS and BS is Roi's playing. He sounds so inspired on LWS. For most of BS he sort of just sounds "there".
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #132
harmonikfuzion

The answer to the poll's question is no, in case anyone is curious.
harmonikfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #133
holdyouclose

I still don't understand the want they had to make BS, at least at the time that they did, I understand they wanted to "finish" what they started, but they had to know it wouldn't end up as good, even if it's a finished product. I would have made another album with YNK, ect.... Then went back and revisited those tuned....they just feel too forced to me....
holdyouclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #134
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I think they felt pressure from fans, for better or worse, for those songs to be released. If the reaction against ED wasn't so strong, and the response to LWS so rabid among the hardcores, I don't know if we would have seen these songs released that quickly, if at all.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #135
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdyouclose View Post
I still don't understand the want they had to make BS, at least at the time that they did, I understand they wanted to "finish" what they started, but they had to know it wouldn't end up as good, even if it's a finished product. I would have made another album with YNK, ect.... Then went back and revisited those tuned....they just feel too forced to me....
It was a money grab. Everyday was a huge moneymaker regardless of our opinions of it on an artistic level. RCA wants money. DMB makes them money. You have songs half finished. Easy way to make money.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 AM   #136
imagine29028
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaack

Quote:
It was a money grab. Everyday was a huge moneymaker regardless of our opinions of it on an artistic level. RCA wants money. DMB makes them money. You have songs half finished. Easy way to make money.

Exactly...Dave probably had YNK and Loving Wings already written, so it wasn't like they needed to labor inside a studio for months.

It was a win-win...
imagine29028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #137
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Which is what got them into the mess of making Everyday in the first place If RCA would have just chilled the fuck out and let Dave get out of the studio and taken some time with his depression, then they could have come back with a great artistic album.
ggies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #138
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
One of the biggest differences between LWS and BS is Roi's playing. He sounds so inspired on LWS. For most of BS he sort of just sounds "there".
I was just listening to Diggin a Ditch this morning and I have to say that Roi played his best doing jazzy licks/solos. He just seems to be in his element when playing like that and I can see why he hated SU and '05.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #139
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Which is what got them into the mess of making Everyday in the first place If RCA would have just chilled the fuck out and let Dave get out of the studio and taken some time with his depression, then they could have come back with a great artistic album.
Don't forget that RCA asked Carter how the sessions were progressing and he gave a negative update claiming the band wasn't "feeling it."
Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #140
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Don't forget that RCA asked Carter how the sessions were progressing and he gave a negative update claiming the band wasn't "feeling it."
Ah, I did forget. Such a shame they put it out in the end.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc