These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #221
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Here goes....my personal favorite of the Stephen Kellogg discography. Canít get enough of this guyís music. The perfect mix of fun songs and deeper lyrics/jams (looking at you Oh Adeline and Mabeline.). Hope you guys enjoy half as much as I do.

Stephen Kellogg & the Sixers - The Bear
Catching up on this. This album was great. The standout for me was Lonely in Columbus. What a great song.

I was reminded numerous times of the Counting Crows while listening, though I think this album is better than any of the Counting Crows albums that I've heard.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #222
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Catching up on this. This album was great. The standout for me was Lonely in Columbus. What a great song.

I was reminded numerous times of the Counting Crows while listening, though I think this album is better than any of the Counting Crows albums that I've heard.
That's high praise. I know SK recently became good friends with Adam Duritz, to the point where they hang out with one another (and SK's wife and Adam's gf) while in NYC.

He can sure write a song.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #223
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Alright, Iím going in a different direction again.

I had an album picked out for this round, but then I settled on a different one. Then I took a look at the list of albums that weív done so far, and something jumped out at me: so far this is one really white-ass thread. So I changed my target again, and with all of that said, this weekís album is:

Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth- Mecca and the Soul Brother

Before he became one of the most in-demand producers in Hip-Hop (thatís his beat behind Nas on The World is Yours), Pete Rock made a name for himself recording with the MC C.L. Smooth. They made two long players and an EP before going their separate ways. All of it is good, but this album is now considered by many to be a true classic from the golden era of Hip Hop. I personally hold it up as one of the top ten Hip Hop records of all time. I hope you like it.
I should have asked for your opinion back when I went on my Hip Hop discovery kick. Around the time that Kendrick Lamar's DAMN was getting all that praise I tried to familiarize myself with the genre. I think I listened to about 5 albums or so and nothing really stood out as great. I listed to NAS, Snoop, Kendrick Lamar, Eminem (hated that one) and a couple others I think. I liked some of it, but this album is better than all of it. I wouldn't mind listening to this a few times again.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #224
Bluewater34
Is Old

Glad to hear that! I know we don’t have a lot of Hip Hop listeners around here, but there’s a ton of great stuff from that “Golden Era” that I really think holds up well.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #225
morgadt

Michael Rappaports rap playlist is the best rap playlist on Spotify.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 09-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #226
Bluewater34
Is Old

Well, he once made an entire documentary about A Tribe Called Quest, so I definitely trust his judgment. Although now that I’ve looked closer, this list has no Tribe on it, and the only Beastie Boys track is from License to Ill, so... not perfect.

BTW, you’ve been checking in on this thread lately. Would you like to get in on the rotation and make a pick?
Old 09-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #227
morgadt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Well, he once made an entire documentary about A Tribe Called Quest, so I definitely trust his judgment. Although now that I’ve looked closer, this list has no Tribe on it, and the only Beastie Boys track is from License to Ill, so... not perfect.

BTW, you’ve been checking in on this thread lately. Would you like to get in on the rotation and make a pick?

It has Tribe. The playlist is so massive, 44 hours, that it doesn’t show every song in that link for some reason.

Yeah, I would be down for that.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #228
Bluewater34
Is Old

Ah, that makes more sense.

Ok, we’ll work you into the rotation this round after Jason.

On that note, blumathu is up!
Old 09-09-2019, 08:13 AM   #229
blumathu

This week's pick is Earthling by David Bowie

I know most of us probably listen to Bowie from time to time, but this album seems to get overlooked when his music is discussed, and I think it deserves a listen. This is an electronic music album, influenced by what Bowie was listening to at the time. It really shows that Bowie is quite an adaptable and creative artist to dive into a something like that and come out with such an enjoyable album.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:06 AM   #230
Bluewater34
Is Old

Nice pick! I love Bowie, but I’ve completely overlooked that era of his career, which is something I’ve been meaning to fix for a long time. Now I’ve got the push I need!
Old 09-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #231
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Solid pick, I remember being caught off guard by that album when I first listened. I'll be glad to revisit it.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #232
Bluewater34
Is Old

Alright, I’m going to be honest here: this was a rough one for me. I was a senior in high school when this came out and this was exactly the type of “techno”, as I would have referred to it then, that I hated at the time. Unfortunately 20 years hasn’t exactly changed my opinion on most electronic music, most of which I still don’t like.

That said, I’m still glad I listened to this. One of the things that I always admired about Bowie was his chameleonic quality. He had an ability to adapt to new forms of music and make that music really well. No matter what he was doing, it never felt forced or fake. He never came off as a dilettante. Even though this was him diving head first into a style that I don’t personally care for, I’m glad to have finally heard how firmly that holds true, no matter which era of his career you look at. And aside from maybe Alison Kraus, I’m not sure there’s another voice that I’d be happier to hear for the rest of my life than Bowie’s.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #233
celluloid hero

So behind... just started The Bear. Should be caught up by tomorrow, though!
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #234
celluloid hero

Ok so I hadn't listened to the Barenaked Ladies album, which was some good '90s fun.

The Bear, while I might not come back to it much, I have a few things on my mind and this one punched me in the heart. A few songs were pretty fucking on-the-nose with my brain right now.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #235
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Glad the SK album struck a chord. That guy's words are like gold to me, he's such a great songwriter.
Quote:
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #236
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Glad the SK album struck a chord. That guy's words are like gold to me, he's such a great songwriter.
It was See Yourself that got to me entirely. Almost to the point that I might not listen to it again.

I'm most of the way through Mecca and the Soul Brother, I think this is maybe the third rap album I've listened to the past decade, and I fucking love it.

Happy to get caught back up here and participating again. I think I'm on the clock! I have two that I've been planning from the beginning that I keep delaying for other stuff that I've recently fallen in love with.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:28 AM   #237
celluloid hero

For those of you who liked Titanic Rising, this is a great watch. I like watching her sing as it doesn't look like that voice should come from her. I will warn, that the 5 minute interview with her in the middle is pretty weird. She's a bit out there and seems super uncomfortable even with questions geared toward her from the host who is obviously gushing with love for the music.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #238
celluloid hero

I know I've recommended this album a few times on the board in other places, but I don't think anyone other BW34 has listened to it.

Antisocialites by Alvvays

This dream-pop album feels like a well-made early '80s album to me. Molly Rankin's vocals are wispy but powerful and the majority of the album has the Wall-of-Sound production on it. It's a crisp 12 songs over 33 minutes.

She writes a great hook. All 12 choruses are ear worms and she is great at making small changes to subsequent choruses in the lyrics to keep it all interesting and unexpected.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM   #239
Bluewater34
Is Old

Yup, that’s a good one. Haven’t listened to it in a while, too. It’ll be nice to revisit.
Old Today, 11:40 AM   #240
Bluewater34
Is Old

Man, I just love this album.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc