These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #8681
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
[Only registered users can see links.] found that one-third of patients who suffered severe bouts of the coronavirus were then diagnosed with a mental health condition.

Utilizing the electronic health records of 236,379 patients, a majority of whom were from the United States, researchers found that 34 percent were attributed with a neurological or psychiatric disorder.
All the more reason to take stricter measures to [Only registered users can see links.] .
I listened to the lead from this study on NPR this morning. He basically said there are two things going on.

1) The serious mental issues (psychotic, dementia, etc.) all increased frequency in people who were admitted to ICU compared to patients who weren't.

2) The anxiety disorders did not change frequency dependent on the seriousness of the illness.

Which leads him to suggest that the anxiety cases are not direct side effects of infection, just after-effects of being ill.

Whereas the other mental issues seem to be caused by the virus.

You can listen to the interview on this page: [Only registered users can see links.]
It's only five minutes long, and surely he explains it better than I did recalling what I heard while driving my dog to this vet.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #8682
gweeps
homesick android

My province's third stay-at-home order begins tomorrow. Nothing much different for me. Christ, will this ever end?

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 04-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #8683
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
My province's third stay-at-home order begins tomorrow. Nothing much different for me. Christ, will this ever end?

That's brutal. Guess someone still thinks lockdowns are effective long term.
DMBCLSTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:56 PM   #8684
gweeps
homesick android

While it is frustrating to continue waiting for all this to be over and done with, Kingston is still doing an excellent job of vaccinating people. I think we're #1 in Ontario right now. So I'm grateful there's light ahead. But like everybody else feels, it's been 13 months. Holy shit.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #8685
jeff1818

I'm looking forward to visiting Toronto eventually. I have a friend up there and we'd like to see a Blue Jays game one day.
jeff1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #8686
jeff1818

one of these days, we are going to hit the wall. sure the us has 65mm vaxxed. april we'll end at 90mm. may 125mm. june 160 or so. fall, we'll hopefully break 200mm and then those under 16 will hopefully ramp up. but we will hit a wall where we no longer see 3mm shots/day. what happens then. what if we only see 50k/day and we're well short of herd immunity? hell we may be stuck at 150mm. let the irritations of the trump a-holes begin.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:53 PM   #8687
Mersh

I think you also have to add in people who have already had COVID. Obviously they may not have permanent immunity, but those people are a factor when we talk about numbers.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #8688
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1818 View Post
one of these days, we are going to hit the wall. sure the us has 65mm vaxxed. april we'll end at 90mm. may 125mm. june 160 or so. fall, we'll hopefully break 200mm and then those under 16 will hopefully ramp up. but we will hit a wall where we no longer see 3mm shots/day. what happens then. what if we only see 50k/day and we're well short of herd immunity? hell we may be stuck at 150mm. let the irritations of the trump a-holes begin.
Yes, I pointed this out in the DMB 2020,1,2 Tour Thread.

But vaccine refusal amongst adults is still hovering around 20-25%, depending on the poll. That ain't gonna get the job done.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #8689
jeff1818

send in the mafia to rough them up.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #8690
jeff1818

refuse is a bullshit word. it enrages me.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #8691
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Yes, I pointed this out in the DMB 2020,1,2 Tour Thread.

But vaccine refusal amongst adults is still hovering around 20-25%, depending on the poll. That ain't gonna get the job done.
What do you think happens when there is a vaccine available for everyone left, but demand has dried up? If we aren’t at herd immunity, what do you think happens? I don’t think people who have done their part are going to continue to play by the pandemic rules at that point. It could get interesting.

Also, when trying to figure out the number of people fully vaxxed, if you are 80% protected after one shot of moderna or pfizer, and J&J is roughly the same, I would assert there are a lot more people ‘fully protected’ by our definition then we are counting.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:38 PM   #8692
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What do you think happens when there is a vaccine available for everyone left, but demand has dried up? If we arenít at herd immunity, what do you think happens? I donít think people who have done their part are going to continue to play by the pandemic rules at that point. It could get interesting.

I truly don't know. Watching how this plays out in MLB is the only indicator I'm aware of being accessible right now.

Is it even being discussed anywhere else?

A half baked thought based on MLB: Tax Credits to employers who mandate vaccination accomplish 85% vaccination of employees? So that they pass it on as cash incentives?
Old 04-07-2021, 10:03 PM   #8693
jeff1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What do you think happens when there is a vaccine available for everyone left, but demand has dried up? If we arenít at herd immunity, what do you think happens? I donít think people who have done their part are going to continue to play by the pandemic rules at that point. It could get interesting.

Also, when trying to figure out the number of people fully vaxxed, if you are 80% protected after one shot of moderna or pfizer, and J&J is roughly the same, I would assert there are a lot more people Ďfully protectedí by our definition then we are counting.
Good point. There are 110MM people in the US in various stages of being fully vaccinated. To get to any type of herd, we need roughly 248MM.
Old 04-07-2021, 10:56 PM   #8694
gweeps
homesick android

Brazil is completely out of control right now.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:12 PM   #8695
mario

Quote:
Brazil is completely out of control right now.

Because their asshole President has prohibited social distancing laws.

We narrowly averted the same fate.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:18 AM   #8696
gweeps
homesick android

Britain will apparently pass the threshold for herd immunity next Monday.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:29 AM   #8697
mario

Quote:
Britain will apparently pass the threshold for herd immunity next Monday.
UK's [Only registered users can see links.] .
Old 04-08-2021, 08:53 AM   #8698
mario

[Only registered users can see links.] found that 3,607 U.S. health care workers died from the coronavirus in the first year of the pandemic.

The study, dubbed “Lost on the frontline,” was a 12-month joint effort between the Guardian and Kaiser Health News.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #8699
gweeps
homesick android

Some of these in-store purchase restrictions are ridiculous. What is essential to one person will not be the same for another.

Also, there's this lovely tidbit: [Only registered users can see links.]
Old 04-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #8700
beitsaad
it must have been the roses

Quote:
Some of these in-store purchase restrictions are ridiculous. What is essential to one person will not be the same for another.

Also, there's this lovely tidbit: [Only registered users can see links.]
that's what happened in Michigan, people were stuck at home and stores were roping off their pain sections...i get it, paint isn't 'essential' in a 2 weeks to flatten the curve window, but when it ended up 52 weeks....

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc