These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
Bluewater34
Is Old

The nDMBc Album Discussion Thread

NiCK had this idea in the Album Listening thread a couple of weeks ago. A lot of people liked the idea, but then it kind of died out, so I’m picking it up.

The idea is that we, as a group, will choose an album to listen to, then bring our thoughts back here and discuss them with each other. I’m going to propose some basic guidelines and then throw it to the people who are interested to see if there are any problems with my ideas or better ideas out there.

1. Each album for discussion will be posted on Saturday and you will have one week to listen and post your thoughts and react to others’.
2. Be respectful of other people’s opinions. Feel free to defend or attack an album on a musical level. Don’t attack someone else personally for their opinion.
3. This is a discussion about music. Let’s try to keep it there, no matter who the artist is or what issues you might have with them (i.e. if someone wants to do Cat Scratch Fever by Ted Nugent, let’s stick to talking about the album and not whether you think he’s a huge pile of shit in his politics)
4. Any album in any genre is fair game. However, let’s try to keep it to things that are relatively easy to find. If you want to do something harder to track down it might be helpful to point everyone toward a place where it might be found.
5. I personally don’t have a problem listening to things that might have potentially offensive content in them for this, as long as it comes with some sort of warning, but I’m totally open to talking about that further.
6. I can’t come up with a great way to decide who chooses the albums, so my idea is that NiCK should go first since it’s his idea, and that whoever chooses that week’s album will also announce who is choosing the next album when they announce their album pick, with the understanding that we should try hard to spread the picks around. If anyone has a better idea for that, please speak up.

Albums we’ve done:

Gunship- S/T (NiCK)
Fleetwood Mac- Then Play On (Bluewater)
Big Wreck- In Loving Memory of... (blumathu)
Weyes Blood- Titanic Rising (Celluloid)
VA- Tropicalia, Ou Panis Et Circencis (Bluewater)
Scott Matthews- Passing Stranger (Garntd)
Honey Honey- Billy Jack (Thememan)
Titus Andronicus- The Monitor (mja271)
Autolux- Future Perfect (Bluewater)

Last edited by Bluewater34; 06-14-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Bluewater34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #2
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

tl;dr

but yeah I’m in!
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I'm definitely in. I like this idea.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
K270
Kan Pai

I may not post every week, but I'll try to listen to recommendations.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:12 AM   #5
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

hmm based on a post from another thread, may I nominate Nada Surfs "Let Go"?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
NiCK (Crush)

In!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Bluewater34
Is Old

Good, that’s a handful. NiCK, if you’re ok with going first, let’s plan to start this Saturday and see if anyone else wants to participate for the rest of this week. Sound good?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
blumathu

Ohhh this is a great idea. I am absolutely in.
blumathu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Good, that’s a handful. NiCK, if you’re ok with going first, let’s plan to start this Saturday and see if anyone else wants to participate for the rest of this week. Sound good?
Yeah, I'm doing some traveling this weekend but I'll try to get my pick up before I leave. Thanks for starting the thread!
Old 03-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #10
Bluewater34
Is Old

Thanks for thinking of it! I’m looking forward to getting into this.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
NiCK (Crush)

GUNSHIP - Gunship
nDMBc Album Discussion #1 - Selected by NiCK

I stumbled upon this band thanks to their music video for Tech Noir, which I'll include below. As a huge fan of 80s scifi/horror films (especially ones with excellent synth scores) I immediately was interested in hearing more from them. John Carpenter's narration on the track and overall endorsement didn't hurt either.

While I enjoy the vocals fine on this album, it's really the excellent synth wave music that hooks into me on almost every track. The production on this is just so crisp. Headphones and a couple puffs and this thing feels like the Q-Tip hitting that perfect spot in your ear canal. I really enjoy how some of the tracks build. The final minute of The Hegemon might be the best minute on the album for me.

I don't recall seeing very many synthy albums in the general What album are you listening to? thread, so I realize this probably isn't the most popular genre around here, but hopefully some of you dig this one.

This being the first discussion, I figured I would just try to respond to a few posts as you guys starting listening. We'll figure out a nice structure for the reviews as we go on. Letter grade system? 5 star system? Whatever you guys think.

Track Highlights:
The Hegemon
Tech Noir
Pink Mist
Revel In Your Time

And I'm sure you all have a way to listen to this thing either on streaming services or torrents, but the album is also on YouTube:

I'm traveling this weekend, so I'm posting this early. Bluewater34 will be selecting the 2nd pick on Saturday March 30th, so try to get your reviews in before then. Hope you guys enjoy.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 AM   #12
Bluewater34
Is Old

Nice choice. Not one that I’m even a little familiar with, so it’s going to be fun to dig into it.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
blumathu

I enjoyed this album much more than I expected. Not that I am not into synth type stuff, just didn't really see this coming. The album starts off right in your face, upbeat, interesting and enjoyable. And just when you think it might be getting old/repetitive something new happens.

I feel like I can hear some similarities in there like Daft Punk (Tech Noir), The XX and The Who (Kitsune), but maybe those are coincidences and Iím just crazy. There are more similarities there as well but I canít put my finger on them.

I've never been a lyric guy so I mostly focus on the voice as an instrument. I like the vocals quite a bit, reverb heavy, spacious, and almost ethereal. I also dug the occasional guitar lead. Those bits were perfectly dropped into the mix.

I think my favorite track is The Hegemon. This album will be added to my ďalbums that I can work toĒ list. Perfect for that.

Good pick!
blumathu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #14
Bluewater34
Is Old

I did my listen during lunch today, and I found the album pretty hit or miss throughout. There were not just songs that I liked and songs that I didn’t, but elements within the songs that I liked and didn’t like. The burbling, John Carpenter-esque synths were fun at first, but started to wear on me by the end. This isn’t a criticism, so much as a product of my own personal tastes; John Carpenter’s scores start to wear on me too. It’s just not my thing.

That said, there were a lot of things that I did enjoy. While I wasn’t a big fan of the male lead singer, I really liked the use of the female singer for shading and harmony. When they sang together they reminded me of an unfortunately short-lived band from about a decade ago called Fields that put out one album that I really loved before splitting up. I liked the songs Tech Noir, Shadow Fury and Fly for Your Life (which reminded me a little of the band Stars) best of the group.

Overall I can definitely see how a fan of ‘80s synth music, and especially ‘80s film scores, would love this record. That just doesn’t really describe me, so I’m going to file this in the “not my thing” file.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:57 AM   #15
Bluewater34
Is Old

Hey all, I got so into listening to LT47 that I forgot to do this yesterday. I’ll have this week’s pick up this afternoon.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:15 AM   #16
celluloid hero

I'm in.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #17
Bluewater34
Is Old

This week’s album (pick #2) is:

Fleetwood Mac- Then Play On

Everybody knows Fleetwood Mac after Buckingham and Nicks joined and they became the biggest band of the ‘70s. But while a lot of people know that they were a more straightforward Blues band before that, I don’t think that a lot of people have ever listened to that incarnation. Their debut is the most pure example of the British-Blues form, but by the time they recorded this album, their third, they had added Dave Kirwin as a second guitarist and songwriter, augmenting the legendary Peter Green and enabling a fantastic twin-guitar attack. The new lineup also led to some more wide-ranging songwriting, pushing the band to incorporate more innovative Rock styles into their Blues base. In my opinion, it’s easily the best album ever recorded under the name Fleetwood Mac. I hope you enjoy it.

blumathu will choose next week’s album.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 AM   #18
celluloid hero

I listened to both of these this morning and liked them both. I really liked Pink Mist on Gunship.

I've heard the early blues Mac albums, but I'm pretty sure I hadn't heard this. Then Play On sounds a ton like Cream to me. I dug them. Thanks guys.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #19
NiCK (Crush)

Love Fleetwood Mac, nice pick.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #20
NiCK (Crush)

Also, glad some of you enjoyed Gunship! Sorry I wasn't around much this week to discuss it further. We'll get in a better groove with this little club in time.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc