These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #1
Rob P
jb

DMB History Project

Question. What are the chances of there ever being a definitive research based biography or documentary project completed with the band's cooperation? I'm talking about a project where the band's entire history (individual members, albums, management, internal band politics, motivations, etc) is explored with thorough reporting based on interviews with band members and those close to them (tour staff, family members, musician colleagues, etc)?

I know the band is pretty famously private, and while we know some of the stories for why things happened the way we did, it would be pretty great to get the actual behind the scenes scoops on the history of the band, the decisions they made, and the way the band reaches those decisions.

I realize all longtime DMB fans will never get the unvarnished truth on things we have long wondered and speculated about, but can we ever get close? I'm not expecting band members and those close to them to go on record for a project like this to air their grievances and personal differences, but to talk intelligently about the history of the band with their fans in mind to set the historical record straight.

I'm thinking of Mark Lewisohn's historical review of The Beatles as one potential model for this project, although there is no reason for the DMB version to be that detailed and cast such a wide historical net. Is there a writer that is considered an expert on the band and its history that would have the confidence from the band to write such a book?

I'm also thinking of the Eagles produced two part documentary about themselves as a potential model. That doc clearly has point of view issues, but it's pretty incredible to get the band's entire history right from their mouths.

Along these lines, did anyone listen to Steven Hyden's Celebration Rock podcast series on Pearl Jam? It went episode by episode covering each Pearl Jam interview and covered the story of each album, how it was recorded, the contemporary events that played into each album, etc. A DMB version of a podcast like that would be pretty cool.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this. I'm aware a project like this is not appearing overnight and may never appear, but you've got to think that in the future at some point we will get "the real story" of the band, even if it's in piece by piece fashion. I'd love a true tell all historical project.
Rob P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Eh, we won't get everything we want but there will be plenty of "road to big whiskey" type stuff from them.

I would like an unfiltered look back on things, but I don't imagine that ever happening.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
CRUSHsoccer15

the eagles doc is fucking incredible.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
Rob P
jb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Eh, we won't get everything we want but there will be plenty of "road to big whiskey" type stuff from them.

I would like an unfiltered look back on things, but I don't imagine that ever happening.
I'll take the Road to Big Whiskey stuff over nothing at all, but that was just standard PR stuff, watered down. The project I'm thinking of is the opposite of that.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #5
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

I know. And I want that too.

I just don't think it's going to happen and we'll end up getting, if anything, more PR-type "documentaries" like Road to Big Whiskey.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Bluewater34
Is Old

As long as the band is still a functioning, money making endeavor, we're definitely not going to get anything other than PR filtered stuff from the band. There are a few less flattering stories, especially from the early days, like the Ross Hoffman thing that I don't even remember the details of, but reliable negative stories from inside the band dry up pretty quickly after that. I don't see that changing unless something major happens within the band.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
Rob P
jb

Anyone see even a Pearl Jam 20 type doc in their future? We hardly even get any meaningful type of band member interviews.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #8
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

would never be an honest documentary anyways. the drugs and groupie banging will be left out.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 PM   #9
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
would never be an honest documentary anyways. the drugs and groupie banging will be left out.
Is that a story that needs to be told? Is it "dishonest" to leave it out? Is it anything other than most likely tamer than any other band ever? Did it ever have any impact on the band or the music?

no?

then who cares.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:13 AM   #10
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
MidwestDrummer
Show some respect, bro!

While something like this would be nice, I don't have nearly the desire for it as I do a b-sides and rarities album/box set.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #12
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Did it ever have any impact on the band or the music?

no?

then who cares.
I agree with your main point, but drug use/abuse absolutely has impacted the band and its music.

Dave obviously imbibed and it affected everything in his life. Especially his songwriting.

Boyd... you know?

LeRoi was a really complicated (difficult?) person. I've heard about drug abuse in his life, but moreso alcohol really being an issue.

I honestly know nothing about Carter's use. Stefan seems like a stoner, but I don't know much else or how thats changed as he's aged.

Rashawn & Jeff I have no idea about.

Tim obviously used to do a lot of stuff with Dave but he seems to have mellowed out with age, too.

Isn't butch out of the band in part because of banging roadies?

I definitely think it has affected the music, I also don't think we'll ever get the full story. Nor are we owed these details.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #13
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I would argue substances pivoted this band a great deal. I mean, where we would be today if we had had the LWS > ??? vs. Everyday > SUp > today? To me that distinction is everything. It probably permanently fractured the band and the member's relationships with each other. Dave had led them to being the biggest band in the world, and Carter and RCA didn't trust him enough to let him create his masterpeice. Then, Dave got his revenge when Carter showed up and his work was done. I don't think they've ever recovered.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 AM   #14
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I would argue substances pivoted this band a great deal. I mean, where we would be today if we had had the LWS > ??? vs. Everyday > SUp > today? To me that distinction is everything. It probably permanently fractured the band and the member's relationships with each other. Dave had led them to being the biggest band in the world, and Carter and RCA didn't trust him enough to let him create his masterpeice. Then, Dave got his revenge when Carter showed up and his work was done. I don't think they've ever recovered.
Something tells me it wasnt that deliberate/malicious. Dave probably wanted to write an album by himself so he did it. I doubt it was definitely to spite Carter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hey! This has already been addressed here by others. No dancing! You will sit quietly in your seat throughout the performance!
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #15
Rob P
jb

One of the many things I would love for some clarity on. Also: Some Devil and why that was recorded without the DMB. The PR answers to those questions don't make sense to me.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #16
Rob P
jb

Also. Did not know Carter was on the RCA side of things and not feeling the LWS work. Too bad. What's the story there? The usual "he thought the songs were too dark?"
Old 04-20-2017, 01:49 PM   #17
Crush87

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan39 View Post
Something tells me it wasnt that deliberate/malicious. Dave probably wanted to write an album by himself so he did it. I doubt it was definitely to spite Carter.
Jack said none of those things
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
Jack said none of those things
? how is revenge not an intentional act?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Hey! This has already been addressed here by others. No dancing! You will sit quietly in your seat throughout the performance!
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #19
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Revenge can definitely be unintentional. Carter thought it would be one way, but it ended up being another.

I'll concede it may have been a poor choice of words, but I didn't mean dave did that on purpose. Nor do I think Dave had any interest in doing a solo record at that point. It's just the way things happened to turn out after they deviated from the original course of recording the follow up to BTCS.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #20
Penumbra
Penumbra

Wait, is there any evidence to back up this RCA and/or Carter did not trust Dave theory? There's been a ton of actual reporting and rife speculation about the LWS/Everyday debacle but I've never heard it was because RCA/Carter didn't trust Dave. This seems highly improbable given the band's success at that point.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc