These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #141
mario

I mean, how many people have already submitted their pre-order to Amazon? That's why Amazon jumps the gun everytime, to grab those sales.

Now DMB has to come along and offer something Amazon can't: A bundle of the re-released UtTaD with Live Trax 32 for less than what you'll pay to buy LT32 alone and the re-release from Amazon. That way they can convince some people to cancel their Amazon pre-order. Amazon is using the same philosophy as rebates: Many people will neglect to cancel their Amazon pre-order.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #142
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Probably worth mentioning that the 9/27/94 UTTAD 'Dave Matthews Band Day' show had tracks from it released on the wh10. This wouldn't be the first time they've done this & then released the show. But it atleast shows they were poking around in that area. And who doesn't like it when they poke around in the area? Maybe 9/28/94? We know they released the muse with R2T, but we've also heard they didn't have a copy of 11/9/93 to release, no?

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #143
Jonas
BLUFF

They should release a 96 show with Toy Soldiers.
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #144
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
They should release a 96 show with Toy Soldiers.
Two Christmases from now, with the Crash re-issue.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #145
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Because they won't miss the opportunity to bundle an old show with it and make more money. They bundle everything they can imagine. I'll honestly be a little surprised if they don't bundle a 94/95 show, the UtTaD re-release, and a T-shirt/bumper sticker/cell phone cover.
That said, that just seems like a lot of 'old' to me. Maybe the Recently EP is what they're going to bundle with UTTAD? I mean, I hear you, it makes sense to release an older show, but that's a 93, 01, & then a 94 in three straight live trax releases. I just don't see them doing that.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #146
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
That said, that just seems like a lot of 'old' to me. Maybe the Recently EP is what they're going to bundle with UTTAD? I mean, I hear you, it makes sense to release an older show, but that's a 93, 01, & then a 94 in three straight live trax releases. I just don't see them doing that.
Do we know that the new shows sell well? I sure as hell don't even bother to download them for free.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #147
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
but we've also heard they didn't have a copy of 11/9/93 to release, no?
This is correct.

Not having to do with this, because they could pick any show, but doesn't the 9/27/94 have the dreaded 60m DAT tape drop out on it? Any of our SBD patches that have that drop out around the two hour mark would be on the master as well (two DATs with a split at the gap as opposed to a gap in the tape like the 90m clones had). The tape running out on the master DAT causes the clones to receive no audio until the tape is changed. Bagby didn't change to 90m DATs until late in 1994.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #148
celluloid hero

Quote:
Do we know that the new shows sell well? I sure as hell don't even bother to download them for free.
The only things we know about sales are two things:

1.) Someone who knew someone in management posted during the preorder period of Live Trax v7 asking why people weren't preordering a show that was in major demand and was released due to hardcore fallout of the Fenway release. So maybe that one picked up by the end, but preorders were lower than expected for that show that was aimed primarily at us, and enough that someone broke cover and came in here to flat out ask why sales were low.

2.) Live Trax v23 had a normal estimate of production and it sold out in preorder.

So a tale of hardcore success and of hardcore failure.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #149
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
You wouldn't pay $12 for a studio Granny from UTTAD? That's definitely on my list of things I'm OK paying for.

No, I'll pay for the downloads, just not the entire new CD.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #150
blumathu

Quote:
Huh? I don't think that's true.
Well, LP 4 could have been the Lillywhite Sessions.

And I think better radio single choices could have been made for the last two albums.

And I think the 2 set format from this last tour was a great opportunity to mix it up, but they let it get kind of stale.

I guess maybe I'm nitpicking, but there have been missed opportunities for sure.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #151
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Well, LP 4 could have been the Lillywhite Sessions.
And I think better radio single choices could have been made for the last two albums.
And I think the 2 set format from this last tour was a great opportunity to mix it up, but they let it get kind of stale.
I guess maybe I'm nitpicking, but there have been missed opportunities for sure.
That's kind of apples and oranges. Carter blew up the Lillywhite Sessions, Dave decides what songs to play, etc. Those guys have nothing at all to do with what Live Trax album gets released next (with the exception of the one time they picked Scranton).

Releasing a 1994 or a 2014 show in the bundle with UtTaD next month is purely a decision made by numbers crunchers. Which 94/95 show it is, maybe they'll narrow it down to two or three and someone in the creative side will be asked for input.

The only $$ miss the really have ever had was the disaster of the Caravan shows, which I still can't comprehend because they were so obviously destined to be disasters from the start. Someone got hoodwinked into projecting those numbers. To be clear, maybe the band wanted to do the shows at any cost or whatever, but I'm talking about the fact that management promised food trucks from NYC like 50,000 concert goers per day, and they only got like 75,000 for the entire weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
The only things we know about sales are two things:

1.) Someone who knew someone in management posted during the preorder period of Live Trax v7 asking why people weren't preordering a show that was in major demand and was released due to hardcore fallout of the Fenway release. So maybe that one picked up by the end, but preorders were lower than expected for that show that was aimed primarily at us, and enough that someone broke cover and came in here to flat out ask why sales were low.

2.) Live Trax v23 had a normal estimate of production and it sold out in preorder.

So a tale of hardcore success and of hardcore failure.
And all of that was a significant amount of time ago.

With how tired everyone is of DMB 3.0, I'm not sure a 2014 release is something DMBCorp is clamoring to put out.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #152
batleon

Just make an announcement already. I am excited for this given how good the R2T package was.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #153
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
And all of that was a significant amount of time ago.

With how tired everyone is of DMB 3.0, I'm not sure a 2014 release is something DMBCorp is clamoring to put out.

Seems like LT29 has a decent reputation, although I obviously can't speak to sales. Unless they had trouble moving tickets this summer that I didn't hear about, why would the management assume that a '14 show wouldn't sell? It seems like this is the only board where people were vocal about their disappointment with 2014. I could be wrong, but I don't see a strong reason that they'd hesitate to put out one from this year.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #154
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Seems like LT29 has a decent reputation, although I obviously can't speak to sales. Unless they had trouble moving tickets this summer that I didn't hear about, why would the management assume that a '14 show wouldn't sell? It seems like this is the only board where people were vocal about their disappointment with 2014. I could be wrong, but I don't see a strong reason that they'd hesitate to put out one from this year.
Trouble is not the word I would use, but tickets continued their steady decline even after drastic measures were taken to shore them up. (Dropping Scranton and Hershey to boost Holmdel and Camden sales, cutting two night stands like Pittsburgh to one night, moving almost every big venue from the weeknights to weekends/holidays, the reverse of what they did ten years ago when they wanted to drive down ticket demand.)

Old 10-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #155
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Trouble is not the word I would use, but tickets continued their steady decline even after drastic measures were taken to shore them up. (Dropping Scranton and Hershey to boost Holmdel and Camden sales, cutting two night stands like Pittsburgh to one night, moving almost every big venue from the weeknights to weekends/holidays, the reverse of what they did ten years ago when they wanted to drive down ticket demand.)
OK then, I see that. Still, if that's on trend and not a significant drop-off, then I don't think it would set off alarm bells about releasing one from this year (well, any more than a declining trend probably is anyway). Obviously, I"m not rooting for one from this year, but I still think it's just as likely as a '94 show at this point. Hopefully they'll just make a damned announcement already and we can stop speculating wildly about it.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #156
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

A UTTAD and LT32 from '14 bundle would be a perfect '20 Years of DMB' bundle that appeals to both hardcores and casuals... you'd have put UTTAD in the hands of the idiots that don't already own it and you'd also have the bonus tracks for us hardcores... you'd also release a show all the casuals are more familiar with (being that it is still fresh from this year).

Therefore, they'd be appealing to each group, but instead appealing mostly to the casuals... as they've done more often in recent years.
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #157
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
A UTTAD and LT32 from '14 bundle would be a perfect '20 Years of DMB' bundle that appeals to both hardcores and casuals... you'd have put UTTAD in the hands of the idiots that don't already own it and you'd also have the bonus tracks for us hardcores... you'd also release a show all the casuals are more familiar with (being that it is still fresh from this year).

Therefore, they'd be appealing to each group, but instead appealing mostly to the casuals... as they've done more often in recent years.
True. Really it could go either way at this point.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #158
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post

Why does a show from this year appeal to casual fans? I don't see how that works. "Here's a show from July that you didn't even pay attention to"?

Look at how they sold R2T again:
Quote:
Also available is Live Trax, Vol 30, 8.16.93-8.18.93, The Muse, Nantucket, MA, a perfect companion to the reissue of Remember Two Things and takes the listener to a certain place and sound in DMB history. There couldn’t be a more comprehensive picture of what it was to witness the band at this time.
So what is the pitch for UtTaD and a 2014 show? "LT32 is a perfect companion to the reissue of UtTaD as it takes the listener to the complete opposite end of the DMB spectrum. Jump drastically from the sparse, building, complexity of UtTaD to the overwhelming stacked simplicity of DMB turned up to 11 from this year's tour!"

Old 10-07-2014, 01:45 PM   #159
Mitch

Man, I'd be very happy if LT32 was compilation-style '94 to accompany UTTAD as they did with LT30/R2T.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #160
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Man, I'd be very happy if LT32 was compilation-style '94 to accompany UTTAD as they did with LT30/R2T.

True but the only reason that happened is because parts of those shows were hosed. I like the Live Trax with bonus disc if they keep getting the good, the obscure, and the under released tracks on it.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc