These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #141
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
agreed.
These one word responses only inflate your ridiculous post count. Get a life man.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #142
ReturntoLettuce

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but it looks like the corporate show might be on December 16th according to the Flecktones' email:

Quote:
Happy Holidays from the Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. We wanted to let you know that we have just 6 more shows this year on our west coast run; Chico, Santa Rosa, Oakland, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and Tucson - starting tomorrow! We are playing our derangements of holiday music, plus some 'non holiday' Flecktone standards - ALSO - we have our very special guests 'Alash' with us. They are incredible Tuvan Throatsingers - you won't believe them! Tuva is a region in Siberia where this amazing singing style is prevalent and these dudes are some of the best at it. Also we have Casey Dreissen sitting in on fiddle, he is a fantastic player. In Oakland, Howard Levy will take Jeff's place, he is the musical phenomenon who started the band with us in 1988. He is truly one of the greatest harmonica players to ever pick up the instrument and it's a rare chance to hear the 'Original Flecktones'. Bela, Victor, Jeff, Future Man and the whole Flecktone crew wish you a happy season a! nd all the best for the new year!
Quote:
12.14.10 Chico, CA US Laxon Auditorium - California State University
12.15.10 Santa Rosa, CA US Wells Fargo Center for the Arts
12.16.10 Oakland, CA US Fox Theater
12.17.10 Santa Barbara, CA US University of California
12.18.10 Los Angeles, CA US Orpheum Theater
12.19.10 Tucson, AZ US Rialto Theater
possibly?
ReturntoLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #143
NiCK Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
I love when we turn a negative into a positive .
What exactly was so negative? I really just don't get the issue. If someone wants to pay DMB to play for them, and DMB does it... than so fucking be it.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #144
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturntoLettuce View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but it looks like the corporate show might be on December 16th according to the Flecktones' email:

possibly?
Makes sense. I heard Dec. 16th as well, i think on the Ants boards.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #145
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
What exactly was so negative? I really just don't get the issue. If someone wants to pay DMB to play for them, and DMB does it... than so fucking be it.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #146
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
My comment was only half serious. I really don't understand why you're getting so negative about it. Really if I want to be somewhat snarky in this thread then so fucking be it
Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #147
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

who can do something with this with dave and coran?

Spoiler:

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #148
JustinC

so Jeff is playing this show. I figured he wouldnt.

Definitley seems like they are doing this show for a quick easy payday now.

Jeff is probably making more for this private gig then he is for the whole Flecktones tour
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #149
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
who can do something with this with dave and coran?

Spoiler:
Tell your Sister... you were right... her name is Jane, and this is the song she likes.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #150
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Tell your Sister... you were right... her name is Jane, and this is the song she likes.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:30 PM   #151
NiCK Crush

where's that Titantic picture from forever ago?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #152
JustinC

who made this fake dave account and said Stefan was leaving the band?

[Only registered users can see links.]

Atleast next time spell his last name right
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #153
snyddogg430
let's go devils

Wow people are taking this a bit far. If I were Stefan I'd be pissed. Then again he's on Twitter and fueling the fire so I guess he has it coming.
snyddogg430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #154
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
i understand your frustration if dave's politics and views were a big part of what drew you to this band. thankfully for me it was just the music and i don't give a shit what dave is really like so long as he writes a good tune.
But Dave's outlook, point-of-view, whatever is what helped him to write good songs. It's the same reason people used to always say something tragic has to happen to him in order for us to get another Dreaming Tree or Bartender, although even Roi's passing couldn't get us that (at least not yet) so maybe his own view, outlook, and take on things has been watered down now for quite some time and the sorta hypocritical situations like these just back up those claims, ya know? I'm not saying it's the root, as often times age plays a major part in the dwindling of great song writing, but these things just make it easier to understand why we haven't gotten what we've been looking and hoping for for a long time now.

And it's just reinforcing the idea that even though Big Whiskey was a step in the right direction for the band itself, it may not lead us to a string of truly great songs like we once saw, at least in terms of Dave's songwriting. Now I'm not saying the next album is going to suck because they're playing another corporate gig. Just that when Dave's writing is truly great, it comes from an honest place and you never questioned the character or content. No one gets into DMB strictly because of Dave's efforts for Farm Aid, or telling people to donate to Green Peace, but there was an obvious correlation between his own outlook, beliefs, whatever and his songs. I don't mean to make him out to be fucking Dylan, but the dude has written some damn good songs.

I just think these small things become breaking points for some people because they just pile up over the years, ya know? Corporate gigs, Millionaire's kid's parties, a decade of missed opportunities and chances with albums/releases, ticket prices, predictable "big" shows ever year, Credit Card commercials, the whole attitude of the fans being "the boss" to Dave telling "the boss" he plays what he wants, etc... Of course all these things are debatable situations but I'm just listing possible things that could pile up for someone.

I'm not saying I 100% agree with Jack, but I can understand where he's coming from, and his emotion isn't completely unwarranted, imo.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #155
Tomacco

I was happy to see that in 2010, the best shows were mostly not at "big" venues. Citi Field and Deer Creek got absolutely nothing special. West Palm Beach was the best two-nighter of the summer and isn't known as a special venue, Alpine was solid but not crazy, and Wrigley was definitely a disappointment considering the major venue and summer finale.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #156
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I was happy to see that in 2010, the best shows were mostly not at "big" venues. Citi Field and Deer Creek got absolutely nothing special. West Palm Beach was the best two-nighter of the summer and isn't known as a special venue, Alpine was solid but not crazy, and Wrigley was definitely a disappointment considering the major venue and summer finale.
Usually the "big" shows are not the best of the tour, or the most talked about. With the exception of course of CP in 2003 which was heavily discussed for a few years after the show was said and done.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #157
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Usually the "big" shows are not the best of the tour, or the most talked about. With the exception of course of CP in 2003 which was heavily discussed for a few years after the show was said and done.
Well, by "big" I also mean the fan favorite venues like Alpine, Deer Creek, SPAC, Gorge, MSG. Out of those, I'd say MSG and the Gorge got the best shows, and even those had one night that was just okay.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #158
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Well, by "big" I also mean the fan favorite venues like Alpine, Deer Creek, SPAC, Gorge, MSG. Out of those, I'd say MSG and the Gorge got the best shows, and even those had one night that was just okay.
When i said "big" though, I was talking more about the event shows like Citi Field, CP, GGP, Fenway, Radio City, etc...
Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #159
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
When i said "big" though, I was talking more about the event shows like Citi Field, CP, GGP, Fenway, Radio City, etc...
Yeah, I guess I was making a separate point to the credit of 2010, but you're right I see what you mean.

For me, right now, the most irritating thing about DMB is the management. I didn't like the GA thing this year. I think they're handling DMBLive like a group of drunk retard monkeys. And this whole poster thing has gotten laughably ridiculous.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #160
DMBBoyd

How awesome would it be to have terminal lung cancer from smoking, get invited to the gig, then die as the band plays Stand Up? Dave would be guilt-ridden, thinking his shitty song literally killed someone, when in reality, it was the shitty corporation he quasi-supports? Probably won't happen, but it'd make for one of those awesome Dave "carpe diem" tunes!

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc