These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #61
ethaxton

Wow, the outrage is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure all the money they receive from corporate gigs is donated to charity. With all the money they raised this winter for charity there is no reason to think this would be any different. He is taking money from a big corporation and doing good things with it. It shouldn't matter what corporations money he is taking. He's playing a concert for a group of execs with too much money. I applaud him for taking even more time out of his schedule to do this. Stefan probably is outraged because he has to go do another event, that he had no real say in, and won't get paid.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #62
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
Wow, the outrage is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure all the money they receive from corporate gigs is donated to charity. With all the money they raised this winter for charity there is no reason to think this would be any different. He is taking money from a big corporation and doing good things with it. It shouldn't matter what corporations money he is taking. He's playing a concert for a group of execs with too much money. I applaud him for taking even more time out of his schedule to do this. Stefan probably is outraged because he has to go do another event, that he had no real say in, and won't get paid.
stefan shouldn't be outraged at all. all he does is whine about wanting to play more shows. well, here's a show to play. quit whining.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #63
FiddySpence
TDCya

that's a good point about all the money going to other causes. it's kind of badass if dave's just playing these gigs so that these business are basically giving money to causes that are against them.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #64
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Like I said before, if it goes to a lung cancer charity I think it's genius. They should do that kind of thing more often.

If you're playing a gig for Phillip Morris, then, yeah, I think they're being completely hypocritical to the things they say. But I don't think that's anything really new. But like I said, the things that cry sellout are much easier to see when you don't like the music as much.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #65
Crush87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
what does becoming irrelevant have to do with playing a corporate gig?
You said this about the co-bill taylor swift thing. You seem to think widespread exposure is the only thing that makes you "relevant"

DMB is not the Jonas Brothers. This band is throwing out an any integrity they built through the years.

This is yet another step in DMB's alienation of their once loyal fans
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #66
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
You said this about the co-bill taylor swift thing. You seem to think widespread exposure is the only thing that makes you "relevant"

DMB is not the Jonas Brothers. This band is throwing out an any integrity they built through the years.
absolutely no one besides us are going to know this ever happened. and as inmytree said, they're not some indie band who's operated with a punk rock ethic throughout their career. they've never had a ton of integrity to anyone besides their die hard fans, they've been a punchline to everyone else since they became massively popular.

not to mention we'll never know exactly why they're playing this gig, what they're going to do with the money, and hell we don't even know if this is for tobacco or a fucking movie right now.

i just think everyone needs to take a breath over this thing.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #67
bndevils21

Quote:
absolutely no one besides us are going to know this ever happened. and as inmytree said, they're not some indie band who's operated with a punk rock ethic throughout their career. they've never had a ton of integrity to anyone besides their die hard fans, they've been a punchline to everyone else since they became massively popular.

not to mention we'll never know exactly why they're playing this gig, what they're going to do with the money, and hell we don't even know if this is for tobacco or a fucking movie right now.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #68
Crush87

Quote:

How does whether other people know this or not have any bearing on the decision to play yet another corporate gig?

And you bring up another great point - Dave's continuance to make himself a less and less relevant, groundbreaking musician, through his pursuit of a shitty acting career

I want the guy to be happy, and I have no say in what he does, I think it's great if that's what he wants to do. But all this adds up to a band that puts less and less energy into what they do onstage
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #69
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
How does whether other people know this or not have any bearing on the decision to play yet another corporate gig?

it doesn't. what it has bearing on is the idea that he's going to look like a fool for doing this. he's not. maybe to a handful of people here and on another board or two, but that's it.

And you bring up another great point - Dave's continuance to make him self a less and less relevant, groundbreaking musician, through his pursuit of a shitty acting career
i don't recall mentioning his acting career at all. and i wouldn't call bit parts in adam sandler movies an acting career or something that is all that distracting

I want the guy to be happy, and I have no say in what he does, I think it's great if that's what he wants to do. But all this adds up to a band that puts less and less energy into what they do onstage
i just tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. a lot of people don't and are quick to call him an asshole for any little thing
Old 12-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #70
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:

And you bring up another great point - Dave's continuance to make himself a less and less relevant, groundbreaking musician, through his pursuit of a shitty acting career

Oh come on, I think that's a little much. Trying to fit Dave acting into some larger theme or direction is just looking way too hard.

The guy wants to act, so he acts. He was doing it before he was in the band, also.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #71
soups
I like dmb sometimes

I don't really give a shit quite frankly. I'm just bored at work
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #72
Crush87

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Oh come on, I think that's a little much. Trying to fit Dave acting into some larger theme or direction is just looking way too hard.

The guy wants to act, so he acts. He was doing it before he was in the band, also.
I just don't take him seriously anymore.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #73
Crush87

Quote:
Dis, why are you so focused on what other people think? The mainstream perception of this has absolutely nothign to do with what we're talking about. And I brought up the acting because you mentioned the word "film" or movie or whatever it was
Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #74
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
I just don't take him seriously anymore.
the guy has sunk to the level of writing songs about pedophilia and rim jobs, it's kind of hard to take him seriously. but i think we should wait to judge him on this until we actually know what the fuck is going on.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #75
AndyB
Fred sounds kind of effeminate

What I think would be pretty funny is if it's a party for a guy named Philip Morris, who's the CEO of some non-profit organization for widowed organic farmers with AIDS who were displaced by Katrina.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #76
Crush87

Quote:
the guy has sunk to the level of writing songs about pedophilia and rim jobs, it's kind of hard to take him seriously. but i think we should wait to judge him on this until we actually know what the fuck is going on.
This gig or not, it's still how I feel. Cornbread and Hunger helped me get here. I'll give Idea of You the benefit of the doubt, not Dave.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #77
brian3641

It's gonna be a looooong offseason
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #78
Crush87

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
It's gonna be a looooong offseason
I won't be around much, don't worry.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #79
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Dis, why are you so focused on what other people think? The mainstream perception of this has absolutely nothign to do with what we're talking about. And I brought up the acting because you mentioned the word "film" or movie or whatever it was

"The mainstream perception of this has absolutely nothign to do with what we're talking about."

fair enough. but no matter how you slice it, whether you think relevance is how popular you are, what you're contributing to pushing music forward, what you contribute outside of music, or all of the above dave matthews hasn't had it for a long time. so i continuously find it strange that these reactions happen almost every time he does something corporate or that another normal big time musician would do.

and it's good to know that you're not really reading what i'm saying too carefully. playing a gig for some party for a newly released movie has nothing to do with his acting career.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #80
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
I won't be around much, don't worry.
i'm surprised you're still here, if i disliked a person as much as you dislike dave i'm pretty sure i wouldn't still be calling myself a fan and posting about him.

edit: not saying you should leave. you're pretty alright.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc