These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #181
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head with this, in that it says as much about the fans as the band. I don't really disagree with what's being said in the thread, although I'm not that freaked out about it, simply because I feel like Dave's been doing this kind of thing for awhile (if not to this degree). I like that he supports some of that kind of stuff, but there's always been this other side that completely toes the company line. But I think our opinions of the music impact it; let's say they had played this show in 2000 as opposed to 2010 - there's no way the band gets nearly the venom they're getting now, cause the majority of people thought the music was better.

I'm not saying that's a good or bad thing; it's unavoidable, really. And I don't like that they're playing this gig. But I think it should be mentioned if we're talking about this stuff.

It is strange, however, the things they will do and won't do. They'll play a gig for Philip Morris, but won't license their songs to commercials (besides those Virigina ads, has there ever been an ad with a DMB song in it)? They must have had tons of offers over the years.
bolded is an excellent point.

i'm also with you that there's no logic (at least with what little information we have) to what they're ok and not ok with doing.

also, he seems like one of the nicest and more approachable famous rock stars around. i just feel like that should at least be noted considering the near character assassination that's been brewing in here.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #182
Billy'sTV

If he'd played this show in '00 there's no way he'd be able to prance around getting cheered for saying shit like this in '01:

Billy'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #183
NiCK Crush

I'm a fan of their music, and their on stage show. I don't love that Boyd likes to work out all the time. I'm not obsessed with the fact that Stefan likes to snowboard. I don't care about what Carter does that doesn't having something to do with music. I dont care about their fucking political views.

Basically, they can do anything they want, aside from something horrifying illegal, that would make me truly reconsider my stance on them. I really am shocked that this gig is causing so much outrage. Do you guys just never wear Nike? Have you never eaten at a chain restaurant? Do you not use Microsoft software? Apple? Fight the machine!

And if its the smoking thing exclusively that is bothering you... then that is just weird. You can be against cancer and still play a concert for Philip Morris. You can hate smoking, and still play a show for Philip Morris. Hell, you can hate smoking and cancer, and WORK for Philip Morris. You think every one of their employess smoke? you think they all love cancer?

Honestly, reading what I just wrote, maybe I am completely not getting what people are up set about.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:44 AM   #184
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I can ensure you he'll definitely say something like that in the future.

That's my point; he's always said one thing and done another. This is worse than anything else by a few degrees, but he was sucking the corporate teat far before this.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #185
NiCK Crush

Quote:

That's my point; he's always said one thing and done another. This is worse than anything else by a few degrees, but he was sucking the corporate teat far before this.
Examples?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #186
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I'm a fan of their music, and their on stage show. I don't love that Boyd likes to work out all the time. I'm not obsessed with the fact that Stefan likes to snowboard. I don't care about what Carter does that doesn't having something to do with music. I dont care about their fucking political views.

Basically, they can do anything they want, aside from something horrifying illegal, that would make me truly reconsider my stance on them. I really am shocked that this gig is causing so much outrage. Do you guys just never wear Nike? Have you never eaten at a chain restaurant? Do you not use Microsoft software? Apple? Fight the machine!

And if its the smoking thing exclusively that is bothering you... then that is just weird. You can be against cancer and still play a concert for Philip Morris. You can hate smoking, and still play a show for Philip Morris. Hell, you can hate smoking and cancer, and WORK for Philip Morris. You think every one of their employess smoke? you think they all love cancer?

Honestly, reading what I just wrote, maybe I am completely not getting what people are up set about.

Quote:
I can ensure you he'll definitely say something like that in the future.

At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 AM   #187
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Examples?
Besides the corporate shows, and the private parties for millionares, and TRL, and basically playing the game that gets you to the top of the Billboard charts and selling out Giants Stadium, and (extending it to the band) Twix and car commercials, etc. etc. "Sucking" was probably the wrong word, but people act like he hasn't been wrapped up in corporate entities for quite a while. Hell, some would say he sold out when he signed with a major and made their first video. Everyone will have a different definition of what is and what is not okay (maybe for some, Philip Morris is not okay, Best Buy is okay), but that's arbitrary and unique to each person's viewpoints.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:51 AM   #188
Slowbutspeeding
TDCya

Quote:

hahaha YES! You my friend have nailed it.
Slowbutspeeding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #189
NiCK Crush

Quote:
Besides the corporate shows, and the private parties for millionares, and TRL, and basically playing the game that gets you to the top of the Billboard charts and selling out Giants Stadium, and (extending it to the band) Twix and car commercials, etc. etc. "Sucking" was probably the wrong word, but people act like he hasn't been wrapped up in corporate entities for quite a while. Hell, some would say he sold out when he signed with a major and made their first video. Everyone will have a different definition of what is and what is not okay (maybe for some, Philip Morris is not okay, Best Buy is okay), but that's arbitrary and unique to each person's viewpoints.
But what is the point in getting all worked up? DMB isn't some no name hipster indie band. They are one of the biggest touring bands in the world. They are in demand. They are successful. I know you know that.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #190
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:

this is perfect. yeah yeah NiCK and I are obnoxious together, but really you nailed it.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #191
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
But what is the point in getting all worked up? DMB isn't some no name hipster indie band. They are one of the biggest touring bands in the world. They are in demand. They are successful. I know you know that.
I'm not really worked up about it. I think Philip Morris, considering their business practices, is a pretty seedy company to play a show for, and it's hypocritical considering the causes Dave supports, but people act like they just noticed that Dave's business actions and causes/charities sometimes conflict. They always have, even sometimes in the good ol' days, which I don't think most people that are angry would agree with. They wanted to be independent, but they made it clear from the start that they were willing to play the game.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #192
NiCK Crush

As far as being hypocritical, I just don't think that is entirely fair to say. Playing this show at Phillip Morris doesn't completely negate all the good things Dave has done for the various causes he supports. Like I basically said, he doesn't have to like Phillip Morris or their company's ways, to play a show for them.

And really, do we even know the details of the performance yet? Like, who got this whole ball rolling and what it is for exactly? There could be something we don't even know. But leave it to this fanbase to tear it apart before knowing all the details.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #193
brian3641

Would people still be up in arms if it was a show for Jack Daniels? I bet not, even though alcohol is as deadly as cigarettes. Get over it, already. We really don't even know the facts. It could be a show for the new Jim Carey movie.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #194
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
As far as being hypocritical, I just don't think that is entirely fair to say. Playing this show at Phillip Morris doesn't completely negate all the good things Dave has done for the various causes he supports. Like I basically said, he doesn't have to like Phillip Morris or their company's ways, to play a show for them.

And really, do we even know the details of the performance yet? Like, who got this whole ball rolling and what it is for exactly? There could be something we don't even know. But leave it to this fanbase to tear it apart before knowing all the details.
Not saying it does. I think in the past few years I've gotten a bit mellower about this kind of thing. It's just different than it was 10-15 years ago, in terms of bands being involved with corprorations. Hell, Pearl Jam of all bands now does shows for Target. I don't really have a problem with most of the corporate gigs now; I think Philip Morris crosses the line, but I have no problem saying that line is arbitrary.

There's no doubt people want to jump on this, because it fits into the story of DMB once being these independent, out-there musicians making classic albums who have turned into sellouts that release crappy music. It's probably not a coincidence that the band's biggest defenders in the thread (or at least those that don't care) seem to be more positive about the band's music now and the critics tend to be people that think they suck now.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #195
NiCK Crush

Quote:
Not saying it does.
Just to clarify, just because I'm responding to you doesn't mean I'm singling you out. I was just talking to the thread in general with those statements.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #196
Tomacco

At the very least, this whole thing has made for some pretty interesting re-establishment of how everyone thinks about Dave and DMB, and how some people still think of him as a modest aspirational musician from the 90's, versus how some people think he's a total sell-out, lazy corporate shill now.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #197
FiddySpence
TDCya

just about every musician softens on stances they took more seriously when they were younger

[pearl jam BS] the band went from anti-music videos, anti-ticketmaster, anti-anything and everything corporate and mainstream, to signing exclusive distribution deals with Target and giving their music to everything from films and sitcoms to video games. not saying Target is as bad as PM, but the shift is equally significant[/pearl jam BS]
Old 12-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #198
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
some people still think of him as a modest aspirational musician from the 90's,
not saying this was pointed at me, but dave is absolutely not this anymore.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #199
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
just about every musician softens on stances they took more seriously when they were younger

[pearl jam BS] the band went from anti-music videos, anti-ticketmaster, anti-anything and everything corporate and mainstream, to signing exclusive distribution deals with Target and giving their music to everything from films and sitcoms to video games. not saying Target is as bad as PM, but the shift is equally significant[/pearl jam BS]
at the tags
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #200
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowbutspeeding View Post
hahaha YES! You my friend have nailed it.
No he has not. At all.

He's comparing the common man, who lives on a budget, to a person who can financially afford to practice what they preach.

I could say "FUCK MICROSOFT!" or "FUCK APPLE!" and eat Ramen Noodles for dinner every night from the comfort of my cardboard box. Dave can say the same thing and still live like a king. I think that's what bothers people - he tries to rally the troops with what he says, and then he turns around and jumps across the line the minute more money is thrown on the table.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc