Old 01-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #41
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
No, that is exactly correct.
Excellent

Quote:
Some sbds are okay to trade. Bagby told travitz it was fine to trade the 97 dave and tim boards. 2-5-99 is fine to trade at this point. The band isn't going to raise a storm on that. There is a reason everyone has them. Most dmb centered trading sites don't want them on their torrent sites because of the official trading policy's stance on post 1995 boards (added to the LWS saga). The band is so generous to us, and why upset that?
Yeah, I was pretty sure I'd heard at some point the '97 D+Ts were fair game, but I forgot about 2/5/99. And I can see why some people aren't taking chances about torrenting the post-'95 boards. I suppose if they really had a problem with the sources being out they'd be more vocal about it. As it is I'd say within about a year of learning about the trading scene (in '04) I'd gotten access to just about every widespread post-'95 board (I mean the ones with sources listed [Only registered users can see links.] ) without too much trouble. And I ain't got no connections, so if I can do it, anybody can.

Quote:
Also, people always bitch about horders, but if you had a connection giving you videos or sbds (and probably tickets and back stage passes and such) why would you want to fuck that up? Would you risk it to spread a few things to mostly ungrateful message board kids? Probably not.
There's always going to be people with connections, and that's fine, so long as they're nice enough to throw the general community a bone here and there (which does happen, though it seems not so much recently). But for the average joe who's sitting at home with a summer '97-'98 board he picked up at some point, there seems to be a lot less reasons in recent years not to just share the wealth.

Like, say, someone who had a certain '96 D+T board they're sitting on
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #42
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Like, say, someone who had a certain '96 D+T board they're sitting on
c'mon, leave mersh out of this

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM   #43
raven

Quote:
No, that is exactly correct.

There was a huge bootleg shit storm that dmb led that sued many smaller record stores that were illegally selling bootlegs to make an example. I remember being in high school and getting shit from the local record store and friends because they knew I was a dmb fan, and everyone hated dmb for blocking their ability to buy/sell boots (keep in mind this was before the internet enabled us to easily d/l shows. so, that was the only way 99% of people knew how to get live tapes).
Yeah I remember that.. I know quite a few people that were bitter about that and stopped listening to DMB. I guess they targeted a lot of places in Rhode Island according to a friend from there.
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #44
raven

There's a place in Canton, CT called the Trading Post that I got a couple shows from early on. I got "Unreleased & More", Hartford 98, and another show that I can't remember. I remember them being very expensive though.. and the quality of the Hartford show was pretty bad and burned TAO.
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #45
Buddy The Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
There's a place in Canton, CT called the Trading Post that I got a couple shows from early on. I got "Unreleased & More", Hartford 98, and another show that I can't remember. I remember them being very expensive though.. and the quality of the Hartford show was pretty bad and burned TAO.
That place is less than a mile from my house. What a shit hole. They still sell a ton of bootlegs. I did not check to see if they had any dmb the last time I was there. I doubt I will go back since the prices for anything there are steep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H78 View Post
How can folks gripe about MP3 vs. FLAC quality when it comes to shows but then turn around and buy the new record on vinyl?
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 PM   #46
priceofacoke910
The Curmudgeon

Man, I read 30 pages from that thread in '06....lots of great information, nice to read back in the tape trading history.
priceofacoke910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #47
Crush87

So on the topic of hoarding... Who wants to drop the Hershey '99 Get In Line sndchk on us?

cue phan telling us he has it.
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:46 AM   #48
Mersh

The unfortunate thing is that as we get further away from those classic years of DMB the less likely we are to see things syrface I think. There aren't many people who are interested in that period of the band's career anymore so I think more stuff will be lost to time.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:51 AM   #49
Crush87

funny because as we get further away from those classic years i find that's really where the majority of my interest lies.
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #50
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
The unfortunate thing is that as we get further away from those classic years of DMB the less likely we are to see things syrface I think. There aren't many people who are interested in that period of the band's career anymore so I think more stuff will be lost to time.
This is a very scary thought. To think that people who don't keep up with current happenings (because they don't care for the band anymore) are holding on to sources that don't circulate. Or worse, people who stopped caring years ago that may have thrown out boxes of old tapes that some of us have never, and may never, hear. Sad.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #51
steveb

It would be great to be able to search on Craigslist at a national level to say look for old Dave Matthews Band live show tapes - you just pay for shipping.
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #52
pgr17

Quote:
2-5-99 is fine to trade at this point. The band isn't going to raise a storm on that.
that isn't the *best* D&T '99 show but i really like that [Only registered users can see links.] show, especially the Bartender > DDTW.
pgr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #53
Mersh

Quote:
This is a very scary thought. To think that people who don't keep up with current happenings (because they don't care for the band anymore) are holding on to sources that don't circulate. Or worse, people who stopped caring years ago that may have thrown out boxes of old tapes that some of us have never, and may never, hear. Sad.
I'd say its more of the latter than the former, I would hope...if it had to be one of the two that is.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:21 PM   #54
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I'd say its more of the latter than the former, I would hope...if it had to be one of the two that is.
Just to clarify, wasn't saying it was intentional. Just saying they're sitting in somebody's house somewhere, and this person has forgotten about them completely because they've moved on. Pretty likely they'll end up just turning into the latter group anyway when they do go through their old things and find these old DMB tapes that they don't want anymore.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #55
pgr17

this is part of the reason why i get so annoyed with so-very recent Live Trax releases. our audio tapes are really great and a lot of our "post-94" tapes aren't up to the quality that we have now. there are tons of great shows that i wish they would release as a LT version instead of another '0x show.
pgr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:48 PM   #56
Mersh

Quote:
Just to clarify, wasn't saying it was intentional. Just saying they're sitting in somebody's house somewhere, and this person has forgotten about them completely because they've moved on. Pretty likely they'll end up just turning into the latter group anyway when they do go through their old things and find these old DMB tapes that they don't want anymore.
Gotcha, that is what I thought you meant. I agree.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #57
greykitkat36

I just hope DMB starts releasing everything at some point like Phish has been doing. That's all we can hope for, really.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #58
Jesus Quintana

i'm gonna come back to this in the morning, but i'm glad to see civil discussion being had over this topic.
Jesus Quintana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #59
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
I think this is the case with a lot of older aud master tapes ('91->'96), or rarely circulated Cass(1)'s, say. But, I'd doubt it is the case with a lot of the rare sbds that have leaked out in the last ten years. People who have those know what they have.

It's the old tapers who maybe did it once at a rare show in Missouri or things like that. Also, older C'ville tapers who have moved on and those cassettes get forgotten about for 15 years and they turn to dust.

didn't the guy from Pat McGee have a whole box of cass masters we didn't have and said he would give them to ??? (Scott, Avi?) to circulate?

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #60
batleon

Yeesh, I'm sure there are only a handful of good SBDs hiding out there, but to think of all the AUD masters that are collecting dust somewhere

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc