These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #1061
sean52692
You have failed this band

I do like those July 98 Camden shows as well. Used to listen to N2 all the time. I think I revisited one of them recently but can't remember which night. Usually when I reach for sumemr 98 I go for anything in August. Great month of shows.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #1062
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
7/25/98 is such a great set. Haven't listened to that one in years.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #1063
sean52692

Dave Matthews Band
July 22, 1995
Coca-Cola Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta, GA

Don't Burn the Pig »
Warehouse »
Typical Situation
Tripping Billies
Lover Lay Down
Satellite
Dancing Nancies
Say Goodbye
Jimi Thing
41 Police
Recently
Two Step »
Ants Marching
-----------------------------------
I'll Back You Up
All Along the Watchtower

Perfectly written and flowing setlist. This DBTP might be my favorite version, slightly ahead of the GD opener. It goes right into Warehouse. Dave and Boyd sound really sharp and WH segues right into Typical to complete a perfect trio of opening tunes.

LLD/Satellite are a great pairing. All of these performances are top notch and varied. BT has a nice solo at the beginning of Ants. Carter sounds amazing on Two Step.

I love the way Jimi is sandwiched with Say Bye and 41 Police.

Great encore. Dave sings IBYU differently, without the falsetto in some parts. Watchtower though... probably my highlight. This was a stretch where they were changing up the jam in Watchtower a ton and this one could be the most varied of them all. Fonz is the first one to take a solo in the jam, which was totally different and unexpected. Roi plays the flute... Dave sings a little bit of Stairway... it's a great version

Rating: ****1/2
Release desire: I'd buy it as a DMBLive. Tape is very enjoyable though.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #1064
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Dave Matthews Band
6.7.98 Giants Stadium
East Rutherford, NJ

Best Of Whats Around
Pantala Naga Pampa * >
Rapunzel *
Crush * +
Don't Drink The Water * +
Recently
Back To Alexandria * % + &
So Much To Say >
Anyone Seen The Bridge >
Too Much
Pig * % +
Jimi Thing
For The Beauty Of Wynonna
Tripping Billies
Two Step +
Stay * + @
-----------------------------------------
Crash Into Me * +
All Along the Watchtower

+ Butch Taylor
% Big Voice Jack
+ Bela Fleck
@ The Lovely Ladies

& First time played

My Notes:

Best of What's Around - Roi was great on his solo at the end. Awesome way to start off a show!
PNP --> Rapunzel - This version contained one of the early versions of the Heartbeat Intro. I loved the rawness and subtleness of it, even though the future jazzy ones were better. I love the eerie 98 vibe of the intro though. Dave flubbed the lyrics in the 2nd verse, but it was still a great performance of the song. I miss Butch on this song.
Crush - I love the '98 versions of Crush. Dave's vocals were sincere and you could tell that he was really into this performance. Even though it didn't have the crazy Tim Reynold solos later on that year in the winter tour, it was still a beautiful and inspired rendition. Roi had an awesome back and forth flute solo with Boyd. I miss the interaction that both of them shared on stage.
DDTW - A small intro/buildup was played before kicking into the song. Dave scolded a fan for using a laser pen in between the intro and kicking into the song. Bela Fleck guested on this one. I forgot how quit/slower the 98 versions used to be. I think I like the song with more force, but I still appreciate this version as well because I got to hear Bela's parts more clearly. One additional thing that I will say about this version is that I absolutely love the vocal reprise at the very end of the song. Dave should really bring that back one day. It's a nice soft touch to a powerful song.
Recently - "On Broadway" & "Some People Do/Don't" intros and the full version! Always an awesome song!
Back to Alexandria - Very fun and jammy tune. It gave me a happy vibe inside and I was bopping my head throughout the song. Also, there was a very cool Davespeak after this tune regarding Big Voice Jack and Roi. Very cool rarity right here!
So Much to Say - Standard version, except that Dave let the stadium sing the last line "Open up my head and let me out".
ASTB - Standard version. I kind of miss these older versions, as opposed to the drawn out 2008-current ones. Just my opinion though.
Too Much - Dave put great vocal energy into this version
Pig - Ahhh, the acclaimed and very rare rendition of Pig. This version is the notorious performance where Big Voice Jack, Bela Fleck, and Butch guest on and it sounds awesome! If there ever was a rare and noteworthy DMB track to release one day, it is this one! Fuck, why can't Dave make guesting decisions like this again
Jimi Thing - Woo!! This song used to be so good inthe 90s. I miss the way they used to jam out this one and I love Dve's guitar solo after the horn jam. I really wish they would restructure Jimi and make it more like this again.
For the Beauty of Wynona - My favorite DMB cover! Awesome song! Really awesome vocal effect for Dave on this one.
Tripping Billies - Nature Intro! Pretty energetic performance. You could tell that the band was really feeling this show and was very into it.
Two Step - This one featured Bela Fleck again. I always love the fills that he adds on this song when he guests on it. He had a geat solo, as always. Also, I miss the darker toned "Two Steps" from 96-98. Such awesome energy. The song was at its best during those years.
Stay - Bela, Butch, and the LL on this one. If I'm not mistaken, the 2nd time ever that the LLs have guested on this song with the band.

Encore:

Crash Into Me - Bela again on this one. Really beautiful spot on version.
All Along the Watchtower - Extended Boyd plucking solo battling Bela. Slower, but still a good version of the song.

Rating: *****3/4
Release desire: Fuck yes! I miss this band...ugh. This show is an absolute classic and one of their best shows EVER. It NEEDS to be released one day. I actually find that it compliments 12.3.98 very well (another show that needs to be released one day as well).
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #1065
celluloid hero

July 29, 2000 - Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion - San Bernardino, California

Setlist:
Spoiler:

Heartbeat Intro »
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
Don't Drink the Water
What Would You Say
I'll Back You Up »
Say Goodbye
Grey Street
So Much to Say »
Anyone Seen the Bridge »
Too Much
Bartender
Jimi Thing
Crush
All Along the Watchtower
Digging a Ditch
JTR
Tripping Billies
Grace Is Gone
Ants Marching

There are so many great shows from 2000 from the start to finish on this tour. A lot are classics, meaning that shows from the West Coast run, for example, are mostly forgotten about. Almost the entire Chula to Gorge run is fantastic, if not all that unique from night to night. I think only the next night at Marysville is a little on the sleepy side, though includes a sign-driven Proudest Monkey - the only of the tour.

This one kicks off with the Heartbeat intro, done as an opener only one time following this, 2001 Toronto. Following Rapunzel, I was surprised how much I liked this DDTW. It seemed the perfect mix of the original more mellow versions and about the the perfect amount Dave vocal improv at the end. I haven't been this venue, but some good stage banter from Dave about what must have been a scary drive to the venue that looked like the end of the world. I was a bit shocked at the early I'll Back You Up, probably the surprise of the setlist that had gotten one play at Giants earlier in the month, followed by a great Say Goodbye.

As far as the LWS songs go, Grey Street was chill even for 2000, and they pulled the ripcord on the Bartender jam unfortunately, but at least Butch hadn't started meandering over the outro yet. Ditch and JTR were as you know them, and Grace was short at barely over five minutes and ended before it felt like it was time.

rating: *** 3/4

Live Trax desire: I mean, I'd take it. It's a fine show, but I don't think it's top 3 from the week. The highlights for me were not the LWS songs. DDTW, IBYU, Say Goodbye, mid-set Watchtower, so not what I'm looking for from a 2000. But if it happened, it would get play and is different from our other shows from this tour.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #1066
celluloid hero

July 25, 2001 - AmSouth Amphitheatre - Antioch, Tennessee

Spoiler:
Tripping Billies
When the World Ends
So Much to Say »
Anyone Seen the Bridge »
Too Much
Big Eyed Fish »
Bartender *
So Right
Sleep to Dream Her *^ »
Grace Is Gone *^
Captain [partial] (Dave solo)
#41 *^
Don't Drink the Water *^
Digging a Ditch
I Did It $
Angel $
Fool to Think $
JTR $
Stay (Wasting Time) $
#40 [partial] (Dave solo) »
Funny How Time Slips Away (Dave solo)
The Space Between *^$ »
All Along the Watchtower *^

most songs with Butch Taylor on keys
* - with Jeff Coffin
^ - with Bela Fleck and Futureman
$ - with the Lovely Ladies

When it's been a while since I've heard it, Jeff's Bartender solo really feels like one of the best on-stage moments in DMB history. Still dislike the Ladies, but this show is an easy ***** even with them. "Top 10" ever for me.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #1067
sean52692

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds
February 13, 1997
Dave and Tim
Johnny Mercer Theatre, Savannah, GA

Lie in Our Graves
Say Goodbye
Help Myself
Dancing Nancies
Granny
Let You Down
One Sweet World
So Much to Say
The Maker
Lover Lay Down
Captain
Minarets »
Dreamed I Killed God »
Typical Situation
I'll Back You Up
Too Much
Two Step
Stream
Crash into Me
Proudest Monkey »
Satellite
The Song That Jane Likes
Jimi Thing »
What Will Become of Me
Tripping Billies
Christmas Song
Ants Marching
Warehouse

Perfect 18 song run to start off the show through Two Step. Loses a little bit of steam with Stream, Crash, and PM > Satellite and then closes in a standard, but strong fashion.

Highlights include one of my favorite versions of Dream I Killed God. Tim plays some dreamy chords (pun intended) during the last 30 seconds of the tune, perfectly seguing into Typical to cap off the best run of the show - The Maker, LLD, Crazy, and Minarets > DIKG > Typical. Say Goodbye is also a highlight in the 2 slot, lovely performance. Lastly, they nail the Two Step outro with some heavier chords.

A bit of a messy Warehouse in the encore pulls this down 1/4 a star.

Rating: ****
Old 03-29-2017, 03:01 PM   #1068
celluloid hero

I think I can honestly say I have never heard one song from that show. good pick!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #1069
sean52692

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I think I can honestly say I have never heard one song from that show. good pick!
Although there's a few great shows in early '97 (1/27 thru 2/2 is a great week with 1/30 being my favorite of that batch) right around 2/13 is when this tour kicks up to a whole different level for me, culminating in the essential week of shows to end the tour (2/18 thru 2/23).
Old 03-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #1070
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
February 13, 1997
Dave and Tim
Johnny Mercer Theatre, Savannah, GA

Lie in Our Graves
Say Goodbye
Help Myself
Dancing Nancies
Granny
Let You Down
One Sweet World
So Much to Say
The Maker
Lover Lay Down
Captain
Minarets »
Dreamed I Killed God »
Typical Situation
I'll Back You Up
Too Much
Two Step
Stream
Crash into Me
Proudest Monkey »
Satellite
The Song That Jane Likes
Jimi Thing »
What Will Become of Me
Tripping Billies
Christmas Song
Ants Marching
Warehouse

Perfect 18 song run to start off the show through Two Step. Loses a little bit of steam with Stream, Crash, and PM > Satellite and then closes in a standard, but strong fashion.

Highlights include one of my favorite versions of Dream I Killed God. Tim plays some dreamy chords (pun intended) during the last 30 seconds of the tune, perfectly seguing into Typical to cap off the best run of the show - The Maker, LLD, Crazy, and Minarets > DIKG > Typical. Say Goodbye is also a highlight in the 2 slot, lovely performance. Lastly, they nail the Two Step outro with some heavier chords.

A bit of a messy Warehouse in the encore pulls this down 1/4 a star.

Rating: ****
Wow! That is one beautiful looking show. I'll have to track this one down. Thanks for sharing this. We should bring our "Show Listening Thread" again, if you are interested?
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #1071
sean52692

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Wow! That is one beautiful looking show. I'll have to track this one down. Thanks for sharing this. We should bring our "Show Listening Thread" again, if you are interested?
Definitely need to revive that thread.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #1072
celluloid hero

February 7, 1999 - Sigmund & Claire Weis Center for the Performing Arts - Lewisburg, PA

Setlist:
Spoiler:

The Best of What's Around
Say Goodbye
Crush
Lie in Our Graves
Stay (Wasting Time) (6/8 time)
Typical Situation
The Stone
Two Step
Bartender »
Don't Drink the Water
Open Up, and Let In / Alcañiz (Festival) *
Spoon
improv jam » Jimi Thing (You Shook Me) »
What Will Become of Me? »
Pantala Naga Pampa
Crash into Me
Proudest Monkey
Granny
Too Much
Stream *
I'll Back You Up
Dancing Nancies
==========
improv jam (If I Were Crazy) » Pay For What You Get (Message in a Bottle)
The Maker
If I Had a Boat
All Along the Watchtower

* - Tim solo

There is a lot to like about this show. First, this is the show that fans on campus passed out and hung flyers explaining that a Dave & Tim show was not a DMB show and that it is a sitting, quiet affair. So the crowd is great. Just two shouted song requests during the show, silence during almost every song except where there shouldn't be. Dave tells the crowd after the encore break that Tim said it's the most quiet a crowd has ever been since they started playing together. They are rewarded with an excellent four song encore. Pay For What You Get has an improv intro and Tim's solo being the vocal melody of Message in a Bottle verse, followed by Dave adding the "sending out an S.O.S." refrain. Spoon is still played on a 6-string as they hadn't brought out the 12s for Wild Horses until the next week. It is the first 6/8 metered Stay. If you are looking for a 1999 that you might not have heard to mix it up, and also easy on the ears, this is a great show for you. I don't think outside of the encore (extra 1/2 *) and the uniqueness of a drunken college crowd acting civilized, there is anything mind-blowing in the show, but well-worth the listen.

rating: ****

Live Trax desire: We've learned this week that a fully blown mix will surpass any audience recording, and PFWYG would be a very nice Warehouse 10 track. But I don't think we need this one. The tape serves.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #1073
sean52692

2/7/99 is a favorite of mine. One of the first tapes I traded for. Everything about that show is amazing.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc