These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #301
JWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Also, new box set release announcement-- [Only registered users can see links.] . I was at the Omni in Atlanta show, tripping my balls off.
I've been looking forward to this, almost here!
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #302
Crush87

8/27/72 Dark Star right now

Pure bliss.
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #303
greykitkat36

I really love Bird Song acoustic. That song just takes you away.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #304
Mitch

The whole Spring 1990 box set is available via PB in flac
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #305
Crush87

Woah. Dick's Picks to be released on vinyl. Dead to oversee

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #306
Mitch

That's cool. I abandoned vinyl a long time ago, but that's pretty cool. Vol.'s 1 & 2 (that they're starting with) are both fantastic.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #307
Crush87

Quote:
That's cool. I abandoned vinyl a long time ago, but that's pretty cool. Vol.'s 1 & 2 (that they're starting with) are both fantastic.
Unfortunately both of these are digitally sourced as it seems the Dead lost the masters. Subsequent DP vinyl's will be using the masters when available (most are avail).
Old 09-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #308
JWood

They're going to make a killing off these vinyl releases even if the material has already been released.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #309
Mitch

I listened to 5.2.70 Harpur College acoustic 1st set as I drove to work this morning in the rain. So good. Re-visit this gem if you haven't listened in a while.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #310
Crush87

Quote:
I listened to 5.2.70 Harpur College acoustic 1st set as I drove to work this morning in the rain. So good. Re-visit this gem if you haven't listened in a while.
This one I will absolutely be buying on vinyl assuming they have the source tapes. Set II electric is mono and that will be a great listen in that format
Old 10-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #311
Mitch

Listening to the JGB After Midnight release (2.28.80). I passed on this one when it first came out, for whatever reason, but just picked up the used CD (as an aside, it's virtually impossible to find JGB digital downloads). Sound quality is great, and it's just a fantastic show by the stripped-down 4 piece band. The Sugaree opener, and the After Midnight>Eleanor Rigby Jam>After Midnight are definite highlights.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #312
Crush87

Quote:
Listening to the JGB After Midnight release (2.28.80). I passed on this one when it first came out, for whatever reason, but just picked up the used CD (as an aside, it's virtually impossible to find JGB digital downloads). Sound quality is great, and it's just a fantastic show by the stripped-down 4 piece band. The Sugaree opener, and the After Midnight>Eleanor Rigby Jam>After Midnight are definite highlights.
If you dig that show, pick up 3/8/80 incredible stuff and one of the best AUDs you'll ever hear

Old 10-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #313
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
If you dig that show, pick up 3/8/80 incredible stuff and one of the best AUDs you'll ever hear

Ok cool, thanks. I'm not a big audience recording guy, but I'll check it out.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #314
Mitch

So, I think it was Sunday, I was high and listening to some of the Europe 72 box and was ready to write a fucking essay on here about how much I love that tour, but alas the site was down. But I'll still touch on it now...

Man, having this box set of the complete tour is an absolute treasure. I've been listening to various shows from this tour since the mid-80's when I first got into the Dead, the original Europe 72 album was what first turned me on at about 15 years old. Although my Dead show-going years were 87-95, when I listen to the Dead it's usually primarily 71-74 and 77-78. And at the epicenter of it all is the Europe 72 tour. The historical significance of the tour and especially the gorgeous sound really make it so special. That custom modified Strat that Jerry played on this tour has such a great tone, and it's part of only a short period of time when both Pigpen and Keith were in the band together. And they were primarily a rock band in 72, before they really started stretching things out in 73-74. It's really such a special moment in time.

I've been listening to all of the shows from the box set, all newly mixed in phenomenal sound (Thank god that Warner Bro's paid for them to bring a 16-track recorder to record everything). I, like most others, had always focused on the same handful of shows from the tour, because they were outstanding, but also because good complete soundboards circulated. Other shows didn't get much love b/c there were poorer sounding or incomplete tapes of them. For instance, yesterday I was listening to 4.16, Aarhus, Denmark, a show I had never paid much attention to in the past, and it's great. Not at the level of the 4.14 Tivoli show right before it, which is an all-time great. But the 4.16 show has some great stuff, including Pig's raunchiest Good Lovin' of the tour.

Ok, I'm babbling on. I always go through on and off periods of Dead listening, and right now I'm just on. I really just wanted to say I fucking love the Europe 72 tour and the complete box set does it such tremendous justice.

I know we don't have a ton of deadheads on here, but any Europe 72 conversation would be awesome.

And, of course, they followed it up with a tremendous late 72 (September has one of my very favorite shows, 9.21 Philly Spectrum) and then the phenomenal 73...
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #315
Crush87

Just came across this. A rare tape. Very few Jerry/Merl shows in circulation from 71. Good Lord does this sound amazing. Converted from the 24 bit tapes for you. Enjoy

Quote:
Jerry Garcia and Merle Saunders
Keystone Korners
San Francisco Ca
5 20 1971

24 bit / 96 kHz Raw Transfer. No DSP Applied.

The date has been deduced by David Lemiuex and Matt Smith with some solid research. While we will never know for sure, few would know better.

"Most likely lineage.. MR@ 7 1/2 ips >> Reel(owned by Jerry Garcia) >>
Reel(made and owned by Will Boswell) @ 7 1/2 ips >> 2496 PCM WAV [by Matt Smith] .
There is also a chance Garcia had the master as well so there could be one less gen but we will never know. DL never heard of this before but there are other recordings from other nights. at least the following day(no i do not have it. I WISH)"- MS

Careful listening, 3 basic crossfades and minor adjustments applied by Jamie Waddell on the GEMS Edit Sation. I didn't do a single thing to the sound. I played with a lot of ideas and while each made the sonics better in some ways, this recording just doesnt need anything. Let yer amp do the work on the volume, because this is one special treasure. It's my all time favorite (non GD) Jerry Garcia Recording and it's an honor to share this.

NB:
this exact reel was transferred and seeded previously as xx/xx/1971 (in 16bit/44.1kHz) at LL and is listed as shnid 93137. The music is the same but this transfer is in 2496 and has no conversions, limiters or dither applied. This is as close to the reel as you can get unless you visit Matt's House.

a Project **GEMS** August2009

1. jam
2. jam
3. jam
4. Blues Instrumental
5. Little Bit of Righteousness
6. Summertime (theming, not exact)
Old 10-25-2012, 04:20 PM   #316
Mitch

Quote:
Just came across this. A rare tape. Very few Jerry/Merl shows in circulation from 71. Good Lord does this sound amazing. Converted from the 24 bit tapes for you. Enjoy
this looks great... downloading now, thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 01:08 AM   #317
Crush87

This show is just otherworldly

Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Saint Stephen-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> Sugar Magnolia

Everything you'd expect from '77 and more.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #318
Mitch

Quote:
This show is just otherworldly

Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Saint Stephen-> Not Fade Away-> Black Peter-> Sugar Magnolia

Everything you'd expect from '77 and more.
I love this show

Everyone always talks about May '77, and for good reason, but there were phenomenal shows throughout the year. (and Charlie Miller does such great work with the SBDs; was listening to his 2-18-71 last night).
Old 10-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #319
Crush87

Quote:
I love this show

Everyone always talks about May '77, and for good reason, but there were phenomenal shows throughout the year. (and Charlie Miller does such great work with the SBDs; was listening to his 2-18-71 last night).
Always been a huge fan of 10/2 - the Casey Jones & Duprees bustouts, that Other One, Trunkin, and maybe my favorite Wheel but I don't think I had ever gotten around to 10/29 before. October 77 was an unbelievable month. There are some great November shows but overall I like October more
Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #320
Crush87

Also, since you mentioned 2/18/71, that's a top 10 Dead show for me. Recently saw Dylan at the Capitol and was beside myself thinking about what it would have been like to see the Dead in that room

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc