These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #26561
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Movie Thread- Discussion, Reviews, Hype

Hey everybody. Its been a long time since Iíve been in this thread (since late-2019 I believe), do I back read all of the 2020 posts just now. Some really great trailers were shown and topics were discussed those past few months. I donít want to multi-quote 20+ posts, do Iíll just start here .

Due to the obvious circumstances this year, I fell behind with my movie watching and my watchlist grew significantly. I know we all had more time this year to watch movies, but I found myself doing other things during this pandemic. I was catching up on tv shows and games as well. This is an odd choice for me, as film is a passion of mine. I guess I love watching movies in the cinema and since that has been removed, my desire decreased somewhat.

However, I have made a decision last week to try and catch up on movies again and continue my normal frequency going forward.

I saw Hamilton for the first time ever this past weekend. I enjoyed it, as Iím a fan of history, but Iíll need to rewatch it and hopefully catch more of the dialogue in the songs. Iím really looking forward to Tenent and the new Ghostbusters.

What a weird and historical year for the film industry. How do we feel the Oscar nominations and show itself will be impacted as a result of this year?

I know this was a long post, but as I said above, itís been a good while and it feels good to post in this thread again.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #26562
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Neither was I but you arent simply watching it for the subject matter. Watch it for the music and the performances.
I agree, but as a Canadian and not a particular fan of musicals, I can understand his lack of interest.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #26563
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post

What a weird and historical year for the film industry. How do we feel the Oscar nominations and show itself will be impacted as a result of this year?

I believe the Oscar committee tweaked the rules for movies to be considered. I think they expanded to movies that are being streamed only can be considered. I could be wrong.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #26564
Bluewater34
Is Old

They did, but they heavily emphasized that it’s for This Year Only!
Old 07-07-2020, 01:07 AM   #26565
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
If the universal praise for the musical and the positive reviews of the movie havenít convinced you, I donít know what I would say to change your mind. Whatís are you getting hung up on?
Not much of a history buff or big fan of musicals...

I like Grease though.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:13 PM   #26566
Josh.0

Halloween Kills delayed until next October (it's in the can, they just didn't want to go VOD with it) and Halloween Ends was pushed until 2022.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Donald Trump eats his own boogers.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #26567
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Halloween Kills delayed until next October (it's in the can, they just didn't want to go VOD with it) and Halloween Ends was pushed until 2022.

What are these two films? Iím just curious.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #26568
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
I guess I love watching movies in the cinema and since that has been removed, my desire decreased somewhat.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #26569
Josh.0

Malakas - they're sequels to the 2018 movie.

Basically, in 2018, David Gordon Green and Danny McBride penned a Halloween movie that was a direct sequel to the 1978 movie (they dismissed all the bad sequels from 1981 - 2002).

It was put out by Blumhouse (Get Out, Paranormal Activity, Insidious) and got great reviews, overall. It was like 80% fresh on RT, which is unheard of for long-standing slasher franchise sequels. It brought back Jamie Lee Curtis and John Carpenter, which was pretty big news at the time. I didn't love it, but it definitely reignited the franchise.

Last year they announced two more follow-ups to the 2018 movie to create a trilogy: Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends. These brought back even more original characters from the '78 film (the only good one in the franchise, IMO, and my favorite movie) and were going to be released one year apart: one in 2020, one in 2021.

They've now been pushed to 2021 and 2022, respectively, due to COVID-19. Several other films were pushed a year as well today. It looks like studios would rather hold off and bet on life returning back to normal next year than release big titles on VOD.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Looking forward to two days from now when Josh and greykitkat argue that all we have to do is go outside at high noon, drop our pants, bend over, and spread our ass cheeks to be cured of Corona virus and that our refusal to agree is just identity politics sjw ignorance.
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old 07-08-2020, 08:02 PM   #26570
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
I saw Hamilton for the first time ever this past weekend. I enjoyed it, as Iím a fan of history, but Iíll need to rewatch it and hopefully catch more of the dialogue in the songs. Iím really looking forward to Tenent and the new Ghostbusters.
We did as well and love it. I was amazed at the continual fast pace of the show.

Yeah, I think Tenent needs to be seen in the theaters.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #26571
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Malakas - they're sequels to the 2018 movie.

Basically, in 2018, David Gordon Green and Danny McBride penned a Halloween movie that was a direct sequel to the 1978 movie (they dismissed all the bad sequels from 1981 - 2002).

It was put out by Blumhouse (Get Out, Paranormal Activity, Insidious) and got great reviews, overall. It was like 80% fresh on RT, which is unheard of for long-standing slasher franchise sequels. It brought back Jamie Lee Curtis and John Carpenter, which was pretty big news at the time. I didn't love it, but it definitely reignited the franchise.

Last year they announced two more follow-ups to the 2018 movie to create a trilogy: Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends. These brought back even more original characters from the '78 film (the only good one in the franchise, IMO, and my favorite movie) and were going to be released one year apart: one in 2020, one in 2021.

They've now been pushed to 2021 and 2022, respectively, due to COVID-19. Several other films were pushed a year as well today. It looks like studios would rather hold off and bet on life returning back to normal next year than release big titles on VOD.

Thanks for explaining this, Josh. The original ďHalloweenĒ is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. What a classic movie it was. I didnít like the sequels either. I havenít checked out the 2018 version yet either, but I would like to soon. I didnít realize that these two new sequels were in production, so thatís pretty cool to hear. Iíll check out the 2018 film and let you know what I think of it.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #26572
Josh.0

Quote:
Thanks for explaining this, Josh. The original “Halloween” is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. What a classic movie it was. I didn’t like the sequels either. I haven’t checked out the 2018 version yet either, but I would like to soon. I didn’t realize that these two new sequels were in production, so that’s pretty cool to hear. I’ll check out the 2018 film and let you know what I think of it.
The original Halloween is the movie that started my fascination with good filmmaking. The cinematography and direction is still some of the best I've ever seen in my life, and to think it was made for something like $300,000 still blows my mind. Until the Blair Witch Project it was the highest grossing film of all time. Not horror - the highest grossing of any genre.

It's such a visceral film and the use of shadowing/contrast, the panaglide, the score, the slightly-tighter-shots as the movie progresses (to create a subconscious feeling of claustrophobia), and POV shots from the perspective of the antagonist was pretty revolutionary at the time (though the original Black Christmas (1974) really introduced the antagonist POV, Halloween perfected it). It's a shame that it gets lumped in with its sequels which never came close to emulating what John Carpenter and Dean Cundey created. While it's a bit dated now, the original really is a masterpiece if you're a filmmaking nerd.

I'd rather watch a low-budget cleverly-made and well-crafted horror film than almost any big budget tentpole film. I'm so much more of a fan of practical effects than I am CGI...lower-budgets force creativity and innovation whereas big budget films can make up for that with money and a glut resources.

Anyways...that's my little movie rant and why I love Halloween. It checks so many of my boxes when it comes to watching a well-crafted, smart movie.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:

Last edited by Josh.0; 07-08-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:39 PM   #26573
Josh.0

I wanted to add: this is my favorite single shot ever. If you geek out on cinematography you'll know why. Everything about the way it was set up - particularly for a low budget film - is perfect. The message and tone it conveys with a single shot is the-first-four-chords-of-#41 levels of "how the fuck did they even think of that?" brilliant. No gimmicks or CGI necessary, just genuine creative genius at work.

One of the many reasons why - and many people don't know this - Halloween was among Roger Ebert's favorite movies. The dude got it.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #26574
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Glad they aren't opting for VOD.
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #26575
gweeps
homesick android

I've always thought the original Black Christmas gets short shrift when compared to the original Halloween. I think the former is much creepier.

Also, Halloween III is my favourite "Halloween" film.
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #26576
NiCK (Crush)

Some serious movie thread deja vu happening right now.
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #26577
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I've always thought the original Black Christmas gets short shrift when compared to the original Halloween. I think the former is much creepier.

Also, Halloween III is my favourite "Halloween" film.
The original Black Christmas is an excellent movie. It definitely hasn’t gotten the critical acclaim it deserves, but it’s not as good as Halloween. Halloween, from a pure filmmaking standpoint, is in a league with few others.

Halloween III is a fun movie but sometimes the cult following, IMO, overrates it. It’s not bad, I’ve had drinks with Tom Atkins and he’s a good dude, but it’s nowhere near Halloween 1978.

You know, I have an original Black Christmas one sheet (movie poster from 1974) that I got signed in person by Olivia Hussey. She also owns one because I had two and gave her my second one for free, because IMO she needed to have it and deserved to have it. She seemed genuinely touched that I gave her the extra I had, but I knew it’d be much better for both of us to have one than for me to have two.

She told me when I gave her the extra I had “I haven’t seen this since the movie came out.” She seemed genuinely in awe. Too cool.

Vol. 1

Quote:
Vol. 2

Quote:
Old Today, 10:18 AM   #26578
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Speaking of more horror/suspense film, I finally saw ďReady or NotĒ last night. It was fun and I enjoyed it.
Old Today, 11:46 AM   #26579
gweeps
homesick android

Quote:
Speaking of more horror/suspense film, I finally saw ďReady or NotĒ last night. It was fun and I enjoyed it.
I really enjoyed it, too. Was especially nice to see Andie MacDowell in something other than a rom com.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc